The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 10, 2013, 07:22 PM   #1
recon14

XD40 or M&P40

Going to be getting another 40. I really like both and they both feel comfortable in my hand. What are the pros and cons of each. I would love to hear from owners on what they like and dislike about their chosen weapon.
Old February 10, 2013, 07:40 PM   #2
blackamos

Of the two I fire the M&P better and on the plus side it is made in America.
Old February 10, 2013, 07:45 PM   #3
mySig229

How about an FNS-40? I carry an FNX-40

Oh btw...made in the U.S.A.!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1360543353376.jpg (20.4 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1360543379305.jpg (25.7 KB, 49 views)
Old February 10, 2013, 08:36 PM   #4
blackamos

He asked about the M&P vs. XD.
Old February 10, 2013, 08:40 PM   #5
Straightshooter629

As my duty weapon, I have been carrying a XD40-Service for the last 5 years or so and have not had a single malfunction. Although I have not had any personal experience with the M&P, during my recent re-certification course, one of the other guys that was re-qualifying was shooting a M&P and he had several malfunctions including a couple of FTF and FTE. I can't say what the reasons for the malfunctions were, just offering my input (BTW, my XD40 performed flawlessly, as usual).
Old February 10, 2013, 09:02 PM   #6
GlenF

I have a full size M&P40 that is my CCW, plus I have used if often in IDPA competition. Have a bit over 10,000 rounds thru it with no issues that I can remember. A good friend has the XD40 which I have some experience with. The XD seems to soak up the recoil just a tad better. Both pistols are equally accurate.

Of the two XD(m) pistols I have experience with, both are VERY accurate.

I too would have a hard time picking just one. It may come down to how it fits the hand.
Old February 10, 2013, 09:30 PM   #7
recon14

Thanks everyone . I'm gonna try and see if I can do a live fire with both and see which works better for me.

sent from my S III using TapaTalk
Old February 10, 2013, 10:46 PM   #8
mySig229

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackamos View Post
He asked about the M&P vs. XD.
Your point?

Not everybody knows about FN Firearms, let alone ones not in video games.

And the FNS is a new gun, maybe he hasn't heard of it yet.

Hmm...maybe he would check it out and like it! Oh no! That would be a shame
Old February 10, 2013, 10:51 PM   #9
tahunua001

the only real cons I can think of since you like how both feel and both have good reputations for reliability are.
XD has lower ammo capacity
and
M&P has a horrible trigger

pick your poison. I'm a XD man all the way, never have been able to get past that trigger on the M&P enough to recommend them.

EDIT:
Quote:
Your point?

Not everybody knows about FN Firearms, let alone ones not in video games.

And the FNS is a new gun, maybe he hasn't heard of it yet.

Hmm...maybe he would check it out and like it! Oh no! That would be a shame
FN Herstal is a big name in handguns, if you haven't heard of them then you haven't tried researching very hard. the FNS has been out for over a year already, I would hardly call that a new model. also I have played with the FNS quite a bit. in my experience:
1. it is more expensive than the XDM, making it one of the most expensive striker fired, polymer framed guns out there that doesn't have HK stamped on the side.
2. trigger has the same goofy hinge in the middle concept that is on the M&P that likes to feel like you are squeezing a cheese stick rather than a trigger.
3. the fit and finish is the absolute worst I have ever seen in a gun that costs over $650, a $300 Ruger P95 has nicer metal finish and sturdier polymers than any of the FNS that I have handled. considering that both of the guns discussed here hover around $400-450 and both have better fit, finish and use plastics that don't feel like they belong on a NERF gun I would heavily recommend them over the FNS.

Last edited by tahunua001; February 10, 2013 at 11:01 PM.
Old February 10, 2013, 11:15 PM   #10
idahoJoe

I recently purchased a M&P pro.

I bought the M&P pro for the night sights and basically planned on replacing the trigger. I am by an amateur, but the trigger felt good to me, maybe a pound heavier than I would like.

Another feature the M&P is lacking that the XD has is a striker status indicator.

I can only compare the pro & the xdm but my vote is with the M&P
Old February 10, 2013, 11:44 PM   #11
chris in va

I had one of the early XD9's. Didn't like having to really squeeze the grip so the safety would disengage. Really blocky too.

I like the ergo's on the M&P much better.
Old February 11, 2013, 06:49 AM   #12
new_scopeshooter

I own 3 of the xd's 2 9mm and 1 .45. I actually traded an m&p9 for the. 45acp, the guy bought it and did like how much ammo cost!! Lucky for me! I did not like the m&p. It just didn't work for me. I think I came out on the top of that trade.
As far as the 2 are compared u could not go wrong with either 1. Will come down to personal preference. In my are the xd is a tad bit cheaper as well
Old February 11, 2013, 11:17 AM   #13
recon14

Thanks for all the personal experiences..that is exactly what I was looking for. Shot a friends new XD9 late yesterday and had to get used to the trigger safety. It was not something I had used before. Overall good experience...now to test fire a M&P.

sent from my S III using TapaTalk
Old February 11, 2013, 11:20 AM   #14
Inspector3711

Love my XDm .40, I bought it when they first came out, but... The trigger on the M&P I like better.

I still haven't installed the powder river trigger kit on mine but I will soon. It's a must in my opinion.
Old February 11, 2013, 12:53 PM   #15
blackamos

My Point was that he only asked about the M&P vs. XD, If he asked best striker action .40 cal I would have told him to go with a Glock.
Old February 11, 2013, 02:45 PM   #16
wstein

I own both and think they are very good guns. I shot both equally well (8/9/10 ring at 7-10yds). They have gone bang everytime I have pulled the trigger regardless of the crappy or high quality ammo I have in them.

They both have pluses and cons.

I think the XD is better at managing recoil (slightly heavier firearm), has some good safety features (trigger safety and grip safety), it has a nice solid feel to me. Overall, it is shorter then the M&P, but they are the same height and roughly the same thickness

The M&P has better ergonomics, has a higher capacity (15 vs 12), better aftermarket support (trigger kits, etc)

The M&P's trigger does feel gritty when you pull it and it has the annoying take down lever in the magazine well.
The XD is a bit harder to upgrade the sights (they are a PIA to remove from what I have heard).

They are equally good guns with their pluses and minuses. For myself, I give the nod to the M&P due to it feels a little bit better in my hand then the XD.

Best thing for you to do is to test each one and see which one feels the best to you.

I don't have a good signature.....
Old February 11, 2013, 04:18 PM   #17
LockedBreech

I have shot both extensively. Close friends and range pals own each.

Both are quality in terms of reliability and durability. Both have run flawlessly.

In terms of shootability and handling of the .40, the M&P 40 wins, and in my opinion it's not even close. Not intended as an insult to XD-40 fans - it IS a good gun - but the M&P feels very smartly designed around the .40. As I mentioned in another thread re: the M&P, I think it, the Beretta PX4, and the Sig 229 are kings of the hill in terms of how they handle .40. All three of those platforms confidently own the cartridge.
Old February 11, 2013, 07:03 PM   #18
serf 'rett

My thoughts:

Third place - XD lower capacity, first generation, good trigger, good weight at 29 oz.

Second place - M&P better grip ergonomics, perhaps a slight edge in lower bore axis, but didn't like the trigger as well on the ones I've fired, light weight at 24.25 oz.

First Place - XDm w/4.5" barrel, higher capacity, good trigger, heavier weight at 32 oz., longer sight radius, non- recessed slide release, ambidextrous magazine release can be operated with thumb or index finger, good fit for my large hands
Old February 11, 2013, 07:08 PM   #19
Babyfacenelson

Obviously glocks are perfect and you shouldnt buy anything else

I have fired both, granted not much, maybe 100-200 rounds through each.
I have fired several different guns, same models, and i find i like the XD better in every situation. Better trigger pull, little less recoil, providing better accuracy.
I would recommend the XD

Last edited by Babyfacenelson; February 11, 2013 at 07:40 PM.
Old February 11, 2013, 07:29 PM   #20
mySig229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyfacenelson View Post
Obviously glocks are perfect and you shouldnt buy anything else
HAHAHA. Sorry. Spontaneous laughter is a problem. I'm working on it.
Old February 11, 2013, 07:40 PM   #21
Babyfacenelson

Spontaneous laughter is usually welcomed warmly at my house
Old February 11, 2013, 07:47 PM   #22
idahoJoe

you can ignore the safety take down lever and just pull the trigger to take it down. If that is a deal breaker.
Old February 12, 2013, 05:47 PM   #23
tristar viper

I'd pick the Springfield by a mile.
But just to mention it, my favorite polymer 40 is a G22.
Old February 12, 2013, 08:37 PM   #24
souther33

I have a full size XD-M 40 love it shoots great. but there are not many accessory for it like new grips
Old February 12, 2013, 10:14 PM   #25
TunnelRat

Quote:
Didn't like having to really squeeze the grip so the safety would disengage.
I own an XDm 9mm compact and before that had an XD 45 compact. I never found I had to really squeeze the back of the grip to get the safety to disengage. In fact I have it my hand right now and with a loose grip I can still get it to fire.

Quote:
In terms of shootability and handling of the .40, the M&P 40 wins, and in my opinion it's not even close. Not intended as an insult to XD-40 fans - it IS a good gun - but the M&P feels very smartly designed around the .40
Could you elaborate? Not trying to pick a fight, but you say it's not even close but don't really say in what way.

To me the stock trigger on every M&P I've held and owned has been pretty lousy. Is that a deal breaker? Not really. For minute of man accuracy at standard engagement distances you can make hits with the M&P easy. Now the APEX trigger kit makes it a MUCH nicer trigger, the difference in smoothness and crispness of the break is so night and day its criminal. With that you can turn it into a nail driver. But that means another $100 on the price of the gun. And at that price point...

We get to the XDm, which is my favorite poly striker pistol at this time. The ergos are spot on for me and the pistol is much more refined than the XD. I have an initial range report with my XDm and it was comparing in accuracy to my HKs, I was really impressed. I just find it child's play to shoot easily. Honestly it's well worth the extra $$ to me.
Maintain situational awareness