The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 24, 2000, 06:53 AM   #1
Kiffster

I just picked up my new Sig 229 yesterday, and have only taken it out for a few guys at work. I don't know of any metal it could have come in contact with, but when I looked at the gun this morning, it has a couple deep nicks in the left side of the trigger guard. The only think I can think of is that the trigger lock caused the problem, but the only metal on the lock is the center post, and I can't see how it could scratch the side of the trigger guard.

My question if whether anyone has seen a problem like this, and what to do about it. The alloy the 229 is made of is quite shiny, and I'm not sure how to fix the scratch. It is really more of a couple nicks in the upper edge of the lower part of the guard, just about at the point of the trigger.

I'll try to post pictures later, but any help is appreciated.

Renting my clothes in Rochester,
Kiffster
Old May 24, 2000, 08:34 AM   #2
Rainbow Six

Were the guys at work wearing rings when they handled it? If so, they could have nicked the finish, I guess.

My suggestion for a fix would be to go to your local automotive paint store and ask if they can get you a "touch up pen" in satin black. The pens are used to touch up satin (semi-gloss) trim on vehicles and should be a pretty close match to the satin nature of the SIG frame. If you can't find the pens locally let me know and I'll see if I can round you one up.

Sorry to hear that you have already acquired a "battle scar" on your new toy.

------------------
The Glock freak formerly known as Chris...
Old May 24, 2000, 12:27 PM   #3
PLASTIC SIG

My brother got a brand new sig 220 for xmas. he was showing everyone his new toy at the xmas party and shoving it in the front of his pants while not displaying it. Later that night i took a look at it and it was f*&%ed up so bad it looked like someone was smacking it with a russian sickel. He was crying and couldnt figure out why his new toy was all scratched up. I took one look at him and his belt buckel and realized that was the cause. I think if someone else would have caused the damage he would have shot them, but since it was his own fault he could only cry. We rubbed it for a but with a cloth and some hoppes, then dried it and covered the scratches with permanant black marker and you cant even tell it was scratched. Good luck, as you can see it could have been worse!

Tim

------------------
Why dont you get rid of that nickel plated sissy pistol and get yourself a glock. :::Tommy Lee Jones. U.S. Marshals:::
Old May 24, 2000, 06:16 PM   #4
Kiffster

Thanks for the advice. I showed the gun to my brother and he couldn't find the nicks until I pointed them out. You can't even feel the nicks, but the bright alloy makes them stick out. I guess that's one more reason to like polymer, but I have to say I love my new Sig. Went shooting this afternoon and it really is smooth. A little touch up and I'm sure they will disappear, but they do make me wince every time I see them.

Ripping up targets in Rochester,
Kiffster
Old May 24, 2000, 06:46 PM   #5
Noban

Kiffster - I have a somewhat similar horror story. A few years ago, I picked up my brand new Sharps 45-70 from the dealer and took it home to clean and admire. What a beautiful piece. I sat it in a corner by the garage door to go get a soda and bumped it as I walked past. The rifle fell (in slow motion) away from me, crashing barrel first into the hot water heater, the washer, then onto the cement floor! The damn thing was 1 hour old!

Nice nick in the forestock and a 2 inch scratch in the barrel. At that moment, I would have rather lost a finger. Couldn't stand it - replaced the forestock and had the barrel re-blued.

Condolences,

Noban