The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old June 1, 2019, 11:01 PM   #151
Leaf

There are a few AK's and AR's out there that my wife thinks are "what, this is my old mini-14."
Old June 2, 2019, 10:44 AM   #152
Jack Ryan

7 pages later and you haven't dumped her yet?
Old June 2, 2019, 03:38 PM   #153
Mongo_Bongo

My wife does not like me buying pistols.

Most would prefer you invest the money in something they consider useful, such as antique tablecloths, that have to be removed before you use the table.
Old June 16, 2019, 11:08 AM   #154
dannyb

I guess I found a rare one

We recently celebrated our 44th. I don't hide things from her, and she doesn't hide things from me. In our early married life, guns were not really a part of things because we married in Mass. and I was from the PR of NYC. When we moved to PA, I started my interest in firearms. She was not a great gun enthusiast, but felt that as long as I kept things safe it was OK. She did start going to the range with me a few years ago; we bought three revolvers that she likes to shoot when we go. If I felt that I needed to hide things that were of import to me, I don't think that our marriage would have lasted for this long. That is a fundamental fact of successful married life.
Old June 16, 2019, 05:24 PM   #155
Leaf

I'm a Marine, a retired police officer, a former probation officer, and I've been married for 39 years; 34 of those years with my current wife (knock on wood). I also have an M.S. in Mental Health Counseling, I'm a nationally certified and practicing clinical mental health counselor, and I have been so for many years now.

No offense to anyone but I have yet to find a human being who does not have "things of import" they opt not to share with their spouse/significant other and in many cases that is probably a good thing.

But hey, there is always a first!

Unfortunately, I fear I cannot use the mini-14 excuse or similar any longer. Since my spouse's retirement she has taken up the sport of shooting and has become quite knowledgeable on the subject dammit!

Last edited by Leaf; June 16, 2019 at 05:32 PM.
Old July 10, 2019, 08:12 PM   #156
Ibmikey

“My wife does not like me buying guns” Dump her and after you recover financially you can buy lots of guns to keep you warm on cold winter nights
Old July 11, 2019, 07:05 AM   #157
P5 Guy

Ten years ago today my wife of 30 years packed her stuff and left.
Six years ago this month I retired, was actually terminated so the boss could hire cheaper help.
These are the happiest years of my life, I buy, trade and shoot to my hearts content.
Old July 12, 2019, 11:56 AM   #158
Armybrat

My wife of 52 years does not like guns, never has fired one, but is happy because she receives jewelry that is comparable, or better, in value.
Old July 12, 2019, 04:54 PM   #159
Reloadron

Quote:
My wife of 52 years does not like guns, never has fired one, but is happy because she receives jewelry that is comparable, or better, in value.
About the same here. There is a place in the safe for her jewelry and my guns. She does own an older Walther PPK which I think she actually shot once 20 years ago.

Ron
Old July 13, 2019, 11:48 AM   #160
sakata8242

Mine never shot a .22 until I started dating her. She doesn’t have strong feelings one way or the other. She is fine with me buying ammo and guns (she even says from time to time, “you haven’t bought anything new in a while; when are you going to?” and is fine with me spending a few hours at the range every week. I got really really lucky.
Old August 1, 2019, 01:47 PM   #161
the45er

My wife doesn't shoot much.............

....................but she knows how!

Last edited by the45er; August 1, 2019 at 01:53 PM.