The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 23, 2011, 11:30 PM   #1
torquewrench

Lee LoadMaster

Anyone use a Lee LoadMaster press? I have been using single stage press to reload 40 cal. Takes some time. I saw the Lee LoadMaster used on YouTube. It looks pretty sturdy. The price is low enough. Wondering if it works as well as shown in the videos. Lee seems to use a lot of plastic parts. Will it last?
Old February 24, 2011, 12:54 AM   #2
jmortimer

There are many happy Lee Precision progressiove loader users and many unhappy Lee Precision progressive users. If you are mechanically inclined and don't mind "tinkering" with it you are the ideal candidate for being a happy user. If you are unable or unwilling to fuss with it then get a Hornady Lock N Load or Dillion. The Lee Precision progressives offer a lot of value and there is much information out there on how to make then run real good.
Old February 24, 2011, 01:45 AM   #3
croc4

Happy owner

I'm quite happy with mine, I use it for loading 4 different calibers, while not perfect (spent primer removal..cough...cough) and while it can be tempermental if not taken care of (kept clean, oiled, fed with primers, etc), but that can be said of any machine. I would buy another without hesitation if I needed another, and I can afford any of the other brands.

Croc4
Old February 24, 2011, 09:35 AM   #4
Olympus

I just got a Loadmaster this past Christmas and I've loaded probably 1500 rounds of 9mm and 38 special in it. It takes some time and patience to set up. But I wouldn't say you need to be mechanically inclined to tinker with it. You just need to understand how all of the steps and movements work. You'll get a hiccup every now and then and just need to be calm and patient so you can troubleshoot the problem. Every little hiccup is usually caused by something very minor, but if you can't stay calm and patient, it will feel like a massive problem.

Exhibition quality 1911 grips!
Old February 24, 2011, 09:53 AM   #5
madmo44mag

I love Lee dies but as stated above their presses are a bit cantankerous.
I have an old Hornaday Pro-Jector and it has served me well for over 20 years.
Dillon makes very good presses but their dies IMO sux
Old February 24, 2011, 11:43 AM   #6
Jim243

Not trying to highjack your thread, but have you considered a Lee Classic Turret press? Not a progressive but more productive than a single stage.

Lee Loadmaster Presses are excellent for making tons of rounds for a single caliber at a time.

I have two issues with progressive presses. First I can't afford to buy 1,000s of components for a single caliber (the best use of a progressive press).

And second, I load for 12 diferent calibers and changing out a progressive press for 12 calibers would be very expensive (additional parts) and time consuming.

What works for me is the Classic Turret.

Jim

Old February 24, 2011, 12:13 PM   #7
wover98

"Si vis pacem, para bellum "

LoL, So true.
Old February 24, 2011, 01:56 PM   #8
jmortimer

Lee Precision Classic Turret is a beautiful thing.