The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 14, 2019, 09:12 AM   #1
Siggy-06

Taurus Releasing the G3 Pistol

Just wanted to post about the new pistol Taurus will be releasing soon:

https://www.taurususa.com/firearms/pistols/g3/

Capacity will be 10, 15, or 17 extended in 9mm. No word if there will be a non-safety model. There will be a stainless slide version however. They do have double strike capability. Listings for preorders are starting at $250, but will most likely come down, possible rebate too.

With the success of the G2C and G2S, hopefully this will be another winner from Taurus.
Old September 14, 2019, 11:06 AM   #2
bspillman

I hope they start making models without the thumb safety. I don’t buy them because of it. Same with ruger. If they made a version of the SR 9 with no thumb safety or mag safety I’d buy it.
Old September 15, 2019, 07:15 AM   #3
kozak6

I think it's weird that DA/SA strikers never really caught on.

The G2 series seems to finally have the bugs worked out, so hopefully the G3 will be alright.

I'm not normally that interested in Taurus firearms, but that is certainly an aggressive price.
Old September 15, 2019, 01:11 PM   #4
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozak6 View Post
I think it's weird that DA/SA strikers never really caught on.

The G2 series seems to finally have the bugs worked out, so hopefully the G3 will be alright.

I'm not normally that interested in Taurus firearms, but that is certainly an aggressive price.
The G2C isn't DA/SA in the same way your typical hammer fired DA/SA is. The "DA" only comes into play if, somehow, the striker didn't ignite the primer and it's just sitting there. Racking the slide puts the stricker at full tension, and it can't be decocked.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old September 17, 2019, 05:43 PM   #5
Bart Noir

It may turn out to be a fine low-cost pistol.

But cops will never carry a Taurus pistol. You shouldn't give a Taurus to a LEO.

Bart Noir
Old September 17, 2019, 07:09 PM   #6
Siggy-06

Once they're released, if the price comes down to $200, I'll most likely pick one up.
Old September 17, 2019, 09:11 PM   #7
KyJim

I haven't owned a Taurus since I traded away my PT99. If this pistol is cheap and reliable, I might buy one. It looks like a good "truck gun," though I don't own a truck and don't store firearms in my vehicles. Really, just another excuse to buy a pistol.
Old September 17, 2019, 09:45 PM   #8
GarandTd

It seems to be very similar to the millennium G2/G2C, basically a full size version. Longer barrel and higher capacity.
Old September 18, 2019, 05:39 AM   #9
OhioGuy

When Taurus "released" the Spectrum .380, it took about 2 years to see one behind a counter. I wonder when one of these will be real
Old September 18, 2019, 05:08 PM   #10
Bart Noir

No kidding on the Spectrum. There were magazine and cable-TV ads for a full year before I saw one at a big gunshop. It was to the point that it irritated me and I am so very mellow. Really, I am.

So, look for it summer of 2020.

Bart Noir
Old October 13, 2019, 10:53 AM   #11
Forte S+W

I recently watched a video on YouTube by Kentucky Patriot in which he successfully fired 1000 rounds through a Taurus G2C without any malfunctions.

Compare that to Military Arms Channel's 1000 round endurance tests on the SIG P365 in which the gun didn't just malfunction, but outright broke in the process.

Times change, companies get new CEOs who decide to run the company differently, that's why it's foolish to completely trust or distrust a product based on reputation. Because you can always have a terrible company come under new ownership by someone who will turn it around and make it into a better company with higher quality standards, or vice-versa.

In addition, even a great company can come out with a flawed design which needs refinement, and may go on to be a high quality pistol someday once the bugs are worked out, but simple-minded people always think in absolutes and apparently regard the possibility of change as an abstract concept, so if something was once bad it can never become good, etc.

But hey, I'm not complaining. After all, such unilateral thinking helps to keep prices down on certain firearms, which in turn allows other folks to purchase otherwise reliable firearms at an affordable price.

Last edited by Forte S+W; October 14, 2019 at 08:38 PM.
Old October 14, 2019, 08:27 PM   #12
sigarms228

Quote:
I recently watched a video on YouTube by Kentucky Patriot in which he successfully fired 1000 rounds through it without any malfunctions.

Compare that to Military Arms Channel's 1000 round endurance tests on the SIG P365 in which the gun didn't just malfunction, but outright broke in the process.
Apples to oranges comparison as SIG P365 is a micro compact while G3 is a full size pistol.

While it is good it went 1000 rounds without an issue in a particular YT video, that IMO is pretty much expected of any full size pistol.

Beretta says that their full size M9 pistol which is military version of the 92FS,
Quote:
consistently fires over 35,000 rounds of commercial ammunition before a failure.
to put that in perspective.

http://www.beretta.com/en-us/m9/
Old October 14, 2019, 08:41 PM   #13
Forte S+W

Oops, turns out the video I watched was on the Taurus G2 Compact, not a standard G2, and I've edited my previous post to reflect that.

Still, if the G2C runs that well and generally speaking compact pistols have a greater margin for error than full-size pistols, I can see no reason not to trust the G3.
Old October 15, 2019, 05:09 AM   #14
OhioGuy

Keeps getting harder to get interested in these press releases. Kinda like "Oh, another black plastic gun that shoots bullets."

I'm sure there's nothing wrong with it. I shot a G2 and thought it was pretty good.

I can see the advantage if it's truly budget priced and someone needs an extra pistol, but even still there are SO MANY out there already, including used that are still perfectly reliable from all sorts of brands. Releasing a full size double stack gun is kind of like a car company releasing another midsize sedan.

Sig and Springfield are releasing Mazda Miatas with seating for 10 -- that's noteworthy It seems to be the direction everything is heading.
Old October 15, 2019, 06:46 AM   #15
USNRet93

Quote:
Apples to oranges comparison as SIG P365 is a micro compact while G3 is a full size pistol.

"Micro" compact?..it's certainly larger than some like a Ruger LC9 and about the same size a Glock 43..when I hear 'micro', I think of the Ruger. IMHO.

BUT, no modern gun these day, if not the ubiquitous 'lemon', should handle 1000 rounds++ w/o any issues. The Sig 365 has had some 'issues'..

"Tools not Trophies”
Old October 15, 2019, 10:10 AM   #16
Forte S+W

@OhioGuy

Unfortunately, the firearms industry has to play it safe most of the time since setting up the tooling for mass production is a costly endeavor, ergo coming out with an all new design which requires new tooling to mass produce presents a significant risk.

Most firearms manufacturers only bother to come out with something new if they either already know that they have a sure-fire winner with mass market appeal on their hands, are already making so much money that the risk is negligible to them, or the competition has already come out with something new which has been successful.

That said, often times it is the smaller companies with lesser reputations like Kel-Tec or Taurus who innovate because they basically rely on new innovative releases in order to overcome their reputation, but then the larger companies copy their innovations. (i.e. Kel-tec comes out with the P3AT, Ruger comes out with the LCP, Taurus comes out with the Judge, Smith & Wesson comes out with the Governor, etc.)
Old October 21, 2019, 12:23 AM   #17
Ibmikey

From my experience with Taurus you better reserve a return label when buying one.
Old October 21, 2019, 06:32 PM   #18
precision_shooter

Had a Gen1, handled the gen 2.
Rather buy another Canik. Superior/superb weapon for the money imho.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old October 21, 2019, 08:02 PM   #19
Forte S+W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibmikey
From my experience with Taurus you better reserve a return label when buying one.
And what experience might that be?