The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old September 3, 2018, 08:27 AM   #1
Chrisbags

Greetings, salutations and an interesting FN-49

Greetings and salutations!

I am new to this forum, I’ve been shooting my grandfather’s M1 Garand for
Years, I recently picked up what by all accounts is an Egyptian contract FN49. I am somewhat curious about this rifle because while in all other aspects it is a by the numbers Egyptian FN-49 in 8mm Mauser - the receiver and barrel numbers match (under the hand guard), the receiver stamp is the Egyptian crown indicating it was a complete rifle at time of sale and not a spare receiver mated to a box of spare parts, and while the stock appears to be refinished it is the brass trap door model but it is missing the unit disc. Where the disc was is plugged, and the plug is well blended and refinished with the stock.

Here is why I’m curious: the barrel is shorter than the 23.5” spec and the hand guard has only one section forward of the receiver. The barrel also is not threaded and has no cap or flash hider. The finish seems to be original on the metal and it is in good shape, it’s been properly cared
For and the bore is clean and fairly bright. Was there ever a carbine variant made of the FN-49? On the web I found a book that talks about the fn-49 rifle and mentions a carbine but I can’t find any photos or articles that describe what that might have been.

Any ideas where I might scare up some info? I have not shot it yet but it came with half a box of 8mm Mauser and the brass for the expended rounds, and the action is properly lubricated, the bore is clean. Given the fact that the hand
Guard is only a single section and the barrel is shorter than 23.5 and does not appear to have been cut down I’m puzzled because if it was not an original carbine it was also not a home made hack job. I have to imagine the 8mm round coming
Out of this firearm would be quite an experience reminiscent of the M1A SOCOM16 in .308 Winchester...which in all honesty is kind of exciting...as long as I don’t shoot my eye out that is.

Many thanks and kind respect for your reading This and any wisdom you may have to share,

Chrisbags
“Lord make me fast and accurate”
Old September 3, 2018, 11:06 AM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Welcome! Can't help with info, but somebody will come along to help.
Old September 3, 2018, 12:11 PM   #3
T. O'Heir

"...a carbine variant made of the FN-49..." Hi. The Egyptian Rasheed(7.62 x 39) was a carbine variation of the Egyptian Hakim that was an Egyptian made variation of the FN-49. Never chambered in 8mm Mauser though.
"...only one section forward of the receiver..." Suggests an attempt at "sporterizing". Sounds like 'Bubba" was at your rifle and cut the barrel too. How long is it? It's possible whoever cut it actually knew what they were doing and did a proper re-crowning job. Might have been trying to get around some daft State law about 'assault' rifles having flash hiders. Lotta nonsense like that going on. The mag hold 10? Lotta idiocy about that too.
Go here.
https://www.ammoland.com/2016/01/fn-...rief-overview/
Old September 3, 2018, 05:10 PM   #4
Chrisbags

Thanks for the help guys

I can't make the images work for some reason, so I'm adding a link to an album I took of the subject in question - the barrel is crowned - and the gas system adjustment is exposed though you obviously need to use the proper FN-49 tool to adjust it. Here is a link to a small album I created with measurements - I broke the firearm down as well to try to eliminate folks trying to guess at things they can't see.

I really appreciate you taking a minute to look at this gents!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/157551...57697739015912

Last edited by Chrisbags; September 3, 2018 at 05:17 PM. Reason: was trying to make images work.
Old September 3, 2018, 06:13 PM   #5
Model12Win

I bet it has an ideal thump factor.