The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 23, 2013, 10:31 AM   #26
Pahoo

Make your own way !!!

Quote:
It smells like an "old folks home". I am told there is an "unscented" variety but my guestion would be, "Why, in the name of God, would there be a scented version?"
Well, for starters, they never really intend to create a scented version, although they did put in an additive to keep it from going racid, which is what you smell. I believe the additive is called, Wintergreen. Then some folks found that smell unpleasant. So, "then" they came out with another version that is pine scented and still prevent it from going racid. It's not all that important nor should it be a hang-up. ....

As Stated earlier, there is a time and place for BB and it is entirely your call. There are better lubricants and surface coatings, by a county mile. Again, I use it kind of like PAM, to coat fire-surface areas to prevent carbon and fouling from sticking. It does work and makes cleaning easier. It is also used by some, to "season" a barrel and that will conjure up more debate. ....

Quote:
I am a veritable gold mine of misinfomation. I shoot from the hip about 60 percent of the time. I never let my ignorance prevent me from rendering an opinion.
As in most replies we have our ways; mostly good and I too would encourage all to try and make your own way. The only time I draw the line, is on matters of safety. ...

Quote:
I'd rather have a sister in a whore house than use Bore Butter
You can take the man out of the Navy but you can't take the Navy, out of the man .....

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; April 23, 2013 at 10:41 AM.
Old April 23, 2013, 11:15 AM   #27
woodnbow

I like the smell, plus it doesn't taste so nasty if you get some on your peanut butter and jelly sammiches... not like Hoppes #9 anyway.
I use it mostly for arbors on revolvers but sometimes quick wipe downs with a rag that's saturated with the stuff.
Old April 23, 2013, 12:20 PM   #28
Poindexter

I have some bore butter, haven't done much with it because the price is so high.

This past winter I was looking for a lube and powder good down to -30dF. Colder than that, I don't hunt.

I mixed up a recipe I found online, by weight 45% beeswax, 45% crisco and 10% olive oil. I shorthand it 45-45-10.

So I put some 45-45-10 and some bore butter on a scrap of cardboard outdoors under my boat. After about 3 days at -20dF and colder the BB was a "little bit" softer than the 45-45-10, but not a lot. The crayon type bullet lubes on the same cardboard scrap were brittle, about useless.

I found the 45-45-10 is good as a bullet lube down to -42dF (it was a sunny day, what the heck), and a whale of a lot cheaper than the bore butter.

So I stopped fooling with bore butter. One thing I did try this spring fooling with BP in 45Colt was I got my stainless gun spotless and then pre-lubed it inside and out with 45-45-10.

Shot I think 75 rounds or so. I figger if I am going to have to work that hard to clean the gun I might as well shoot a lot. turns out it was the easiest clean up ever for me using hot soapy water and patches. Getting into the action (Redhawk) with a Qtip wasn't as bad as it could have been.

So I got a little Bore Better, you can have it free if you come get it.
Old April 23, 2013, 09:28 PM   #29
Doc Hoy

Hope everyone knows....

...I have my tongue planted firmly in my cheek as I energetically criticise Bore Butter.

I don't like it, don't use it but I would never advise anyone else to stop using it if they see some value in it.
Old April 24, 2013, 09:31 AM   #30
101combatvet

Maybe... I'm a weirdo but I don't mind the smell of BB. I will use it until the tube is empty and then try the Cisco recipe. I appreciate all the remarks pro and con. Bought some Ballistol yesterday to add to the cleaning supplies. I can't believe I never heard much about Ballistol until now.

Last edited by 101combatvet; April 24, 2013 at 01:55 PM.
Old April 24, 2013, 12:54 PM   #31
Poindexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101combatvet
I will use it until the tube is empty and then try the Cisco recipe.
I have not tried the 45-45-10 at temps above about +40dF. I am sure it will get softer and softer, I have no idea how much beeswax to add to firm it up, or at what temps to do that. I made it down to -40 without having to add more olive oil to soften it.

45-45-10 is good from +40dF down to -40dF, ass/u/me-ing below about 0dF you are carrying a sidearm just in case. (I tend to hunt furbearers in cold weather with a bolt action .223, the sidearm is for just in case.) All of my testing this winter was in a .45Colt sidearm, with good fitting cast slugs I was starting to see a little bit of leading around -25dF, but still short range dependable defense. Below -40 there was enough leading I wouldn't want to try for a second well placed followup shot out past 25 yards or so; but I wasn't hurting the gun and I know three different powders that work good that cold and the lube is adequate. Those are Universal, TiteGroup and HS-6 if you are keeping track. 777 worked fine down to -30dF, I didn't have any more loaded up the one sunny day I went to the range when it was colder.

I plan to kep testing over the summer in .45Colt and repeat this coming winter in .45-70, I am not sure how cold I can go with 45-45-10 in 45-70 but I am going to find out. Generally closing day of moose season we have up to maybe 18" of snow on the ground, but temps are not likely to be negative.

I tried the 45-45-10 first because I could make it in the kitchen instead of having to buy a pot and a bowl and a spoon and so on for the reloading shop. There are a bajillion lube recipes out there, I seriously tried this one first to see how cold it would work good. Once I found the lower limit of 45-45-10 I was going to go back to the well for a new recipe, but I didn't have too.

My personal limit for being outdoors hunting furbearers in January is -30dF. Colder than that I stay home and let the critters grow more hair. So I don't need a lube that works below that cutoff.

Best of luck to you.

/highjack
Old April 24, 2013, 08:04 PM   #32
101combatvet

I have a can of Cisco that has been sitting in my kitchen cabinet for awhile. We just don't use the stuff much... thanks to you guys for now I have found a new use for it.