The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old August 26, 2018, 01:06 PM   #1
Dispo

R. Marholdt - Innsbruck 270 GIBBS

Inherited a few rifles and seeking some info one this one. Having a really hard time finding anything aside from a similar one that sold a number of years ago on an auction site. Markings as follows-

R. Marholdt - Innsbruck 270 GIBBS
Bohler - Spezihl - Stahl
270 Gibbs

After what appears to be the Serial number it is stamped 54

It is a fine looking rifle with lots of engraving. Topped with a Bosch and Lomb scope.

ANY info would be much appreciated.

I read (not verified) that the maker instructed his wife to burn all his notes/info after his death making these tough to find any info on.

Last edited by Dispo; August 28, 2018 at 02:49 PM.
Old August 26, 2018, 01:07 PM   #2
Dispo

more photos

Old August 27, 2018, 01:10 AM   #3
Scorch

Well, Innsbruck is in Austria, so you have a European sporter, appears post-war, probably made for a US GI or Canadian stationed in post-war Europe. Why US GI and post-war Europe? Because it is a 270 Gibbs, which was invented by a Canadian in the 1950s, and a 270 wouldn't have appealed to a European very much, they would probably have gone with a 7mm at that time. As far as how many sold or "documents destroyed after his death", none of that would have mattered as the proofhouses would have kept records of how many and what caliber rifles he produced. He may not have produced that many, or since Innsbruck is not close to US or allied bases in Europe at that time he may not have sold very many to US GIs. From the stock design and the Buehler adjustable base (note that there are no turrets on that scope) I would date it to the 1950s.

The barrel is marked Bohler Special Steel, probably a major supplier of specialty steels in that area.

Last edited by Scorch; August 27, 2018 at 01:20 AM.
Old August 27, 2018, 11:08 AM   #4
Dispo

Thanks Scorch, your logic and reasoning make good sense. The person I got it from was an Army Ranger and did spend time in Europe on active duty post WWII before heading to Vietnam. The one I found on a auction site fetched a fair price. Might have to flip it into something a little more practical. Originally I thought it was a 270 WIN. Seems like a rifle like this is going to be worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it rather than a fixed price range. Thank you for sharing.
Old August 27, 2018, 06:00 PM   #5
taylorce1

There is a CD with Gibbs rifle cartridge information you can buy through Midway USA for about $20.