The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old February 1, 2011, 09:15 PM   #1
Mr_Matt

FN 1910

Hey there!

I just got this FN 1910 a few days ago for free, that's right, free. My neighbors Dad had it hidden in the garage and wanted it gone before one of the grandkids found it. So, I brought it home tore it down and cleaned it up a bit and now I want to find out what I've got here. The oldtimer said he has had the gun forever and that was as accurate as he could tell me. He bought it in New York somewhere when he was young. He's at least 85 now so I wonder how old this gun is? SN# is 31*** I will attach some pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0189[1].jpg (220.0 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0196[1].jpg (236.6 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0200[1].jpg (244.0 KB, 89 views)
Old February 1, 2011, 09:38 PM   #2
PetahW

The pistol is about 98 years old; the aftermarket Franzite grip panels only 50-60.

Old February 1, 2011, 11:14 PM   #3
carguychris

I don't have anything that can tell me the exact age from the serial number, but I've heard that the Roman-style Serif lettering was phased out in the early 1920s. Later FN Browning 1910s have Sans Serif lettering.

If you're not familiar with European pistol cartridge nomenclature, FN 1910s marked "7.65" on the barrel are chambered in .32ACP; those marked "9M/M" are chambered in .380ACP.

FWIW if the pistol is a .32, magazines are currently available for $12.95/ea from IMA-USA. Get 'em before they're gone! BTW make sure you order the 7rd 1910 magazine, not the 9rd 1922 or 1910/22 magazine; since these pistols use a European-style latch on the butt, the longer 1922 magazines will not lock in place in the shorter-grip 1910 pistols.

http://www.ima-usa.com/belgian-brown...-7-rounds.html

If the pistol is a .380, you can modify .32 magazines to work; the only differences are that there are 6 cartridge-counting holes rather than 5, and the feed lips are slightly narrower. The width of the mag body and the mag follower is the same, and the mags are actually often totally interchangeable in practice. If not, a little filing and bending to the feed lips will fix any problems.

If the thumb safety will not hold the slide back, the second notch in the slide probably needs to be cleaned up with a small triangular file; this seems to be a common problem with these guns. If the safety won't operate with the slide pulled back, it's probably because you're depressing the grip safety and locking it; it's supposed to do that. It may take practice to draw the slide back without putting pressure on the grip safety.

BTW these pistols are wonderful shooters, although the teeny sights can make them hard to shoot accurately beyond contact range, and the grip safety makes the grip position awkward for people with large hands; I have to hold them slightly sideways to put enough pressure on the grip safety for the pistol to function reliably. Due to the small grip, I actually shoot these pistols better using a one-handed hold; the other hand just gets in the way, and the recoil is mild enough that I don't need it.

Last edited by carguychris; February 1, 2011 at 11:24 PM.
Old February 2, 2011, 06:01 AM   #4
gyvel

The previous posters have pretty much hit the nail of the head. I'm guessing ca. WWI era, since the FN 1910 Gavrilo Princip used to assassinate Archduke Ferdinand in 1914 was in the 19,000 range.

The Franzite grips are much later (probably 1950's or 60s), and FYI, the particular grips on that gun are actually for a Colt .32 auto.

If you check on eBay, original FN grips come up for sale or, you can buy some very nice repros from these folks: www.vintagegungrips.com.

I have always loved the 1910s and 1922s and collected them for many years. I carry a 1910 in .380 for CCW.