The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old November 6, 2010, 08:21 PM   #1
spookygeek

Shooting Low and to the Left

I made it to the range today for the first time in a very long time. Other than being rusty, i spent the first 90% of my time just having fun with my bro, not aiming for anything in particular, trying out a few different range rentals (G17, SR9, GP100). The last magazine, I made an effort on aim, took my time, and found I can put together a nice cluster (2.5" or so at 7 yards) but it was about 3" down and 3" left from where I was aiming. Anyone have any help as to whether this was me, or the range rental P226? I am also left eye dominant/right handed and shot with my right eye closed if this may have any bearing.

Thanks,

BRENT
Old November 6, 2010, 08:32 PM   #2
Krazy Cash

I know I had the same problem at the range, breaking in my Beretta. But I highly doubt it was the gun. I tend to lean towards trigger control. I was aiming for dead center but I was squeezing the trigger at the joint instead of the pad of the finger. I have since found a nitch that works for me and with a little practice i'm seeing improvement.
Old November 6, 2010, 10:00 PM   #3
Onward Allusion

#1 Left Eye Dominant/Right Handed - Being left eye dominant and right handed is throwing you off. I have the same issue. When I close my left eye and aim out of my right, I am dead on. However, when I have both eyes open, I need to line my left eye to the sights. It makes for a funny looking stance.

#2 Trigger control - Too much finger and you're likely jerking or flinching. Use the pad (near the tip) and not the 1st knuckle unless it's a revolver in DA or a DAO pistol.

#3 Grip (left hand) - Adjust your left grip slightly. Use your right thumb to guide and hold the pistol. I have my left thumb locked under my right thumb against the pistol's grip.

I'm sure there are a bunch of things the others can suggest, but the above is what I had learned.
Old November 6, 2010, 10:46 PM   #4
Big Bill

Here are a couple of charts that may help...

There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time." - General George Patton Jr
Old November 7, 2010, 02:37 AM   #5
KenpoTex

I would lay money on this being, primarily, a trigger-control issue.

Do dry-fire drills (triple check to make sure pistol is empty) until you can press the trigger without the sights moving.

Do "Ball and dummy" drills (live and dummy rounds mixed at random in magazine) to make sure you're not flinching and/or anticipating recoil.

Links to a few articles worth checking out:
cross-dominance: http://pistol-training.com/archives/433
ball & dummy drill: http://pistol-training.com/archives/210
"correction target": http://pistol-training.com/archives/292

tons of good stuff on that site.

Matt K.
Old November 7, 2010, 03:03 AM   #6
Eagle0711

My son in law is left eye dominant and right handed and all his handguns shoot to the left.
Old November 7, 2010, 09:23 AM   #7
pax

Read this: www.corneredcat.com/Basics/flinch.aspx

Hope it helps.

pax
Old November 7, 2010, 10:07 AM   #8
spookygeek

I think next time I hit the range I am going to make a point of shooting one set with my right eye open vs left eye open. At least this way if I shoot the same I can reduce the issue down to my trigger pull. Given that I'm still new at this I'm going to bet its my trigger.

Thanks for the feedback.

BRENT
Old November 7, 2010, 10:09 AM   #9
spookygeek

Found this little tidbit on the cornered car website, thought it was a great idea...

"Lay a penny across the top of the front sight so that it is resting there. Then dry fire as usual. Align the sights, focus on the front sight, and steadily increase pressure on the trigger while keeping the coin balanced on top of the front sight. Can you do it?"

Not something to do at the range obviously, but i think its a great indicator of seeing what is happening to your aim as you pull the trigger.

BRENT
Old November 7, 2010, 07:08 PM   #10
retiredcoasty

Four Seasons Firearms in MA has a little help diagram. Here’s what they say:

Low Horizontal Left Possible Causes

1. Pushing the trigger, moving it and the gun to the left.
2. Poor sight alignment: front sight alignment is off to the left.
3. Applying extra pressure with fingertips and/or pinkie.

http://www.targetshooting.ca/docs/grp-analysis.pdf
Old November 8, 2010, 10:13 AM   #11
wally626

Missing the point of aim, is usually an issue with shooting technique, but sights can be off, and sometimes you may be using the sights wrong on a unfamiliar gun. The smaller the group is, the more likely the sights are off or being used wrong, versus poor trigger technique.
Old November 8, 2010, 02:08 PM   #12
KenpoTex

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally626
The smaller the group is, the more likely the sights are off or being used wrong, versus poor trigger technique.
Not necessarily...it can just mean you're doing the same thing wrong every time.

Matt K.
Old November 9, 2010, 12:13 AM   #13
Big Bill

Great article pax. I learned loads. Thanks.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time." - General George Patton Jr
Old November 9, 2010, 06:27 AM   #14
darkgael

low and...

Quote:
. Applying extra pressure with fingertips and/or pinkie
Very true. This one is difficult to notice except for the result. Small motor movements in the hand control much of what happens as the gun goes off.
The issue is sympathetic movement of the finger tips of the middle, ring, and pinkie fingers when the trigger finger is moved.
Easy to observe - hold your shooting hand out. Relax it. Move your trigger finger as if you were squeezing a trigger. Notice that as you do that, the three other fingers move along a bit. It is especially noticeable with repetitive movement of the trigger finger. Unless this is stopped, it continues when you shoot - and it doesn't take much to throw the shot.
Pete