The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 11, 2007, 10:40 PM   #1
okiedokie

223 brass ?

I have 2-223 rifles and I reload , when I full length resize them and trim them some of the shells are really hard to get the bolt shut on the rifle, and the gun shut on a crackdown rifle ,is there something I'm not doing right in reloading these ? I have encountered the same problem with my 22-250 . I really would appreciate any help that I can get on this prob. THANKS
Old February 11, 2007, 10:51 PM   #2
CHAINSAW

Could your dies be not properly set to resize adequately. (too much or too little)? Could your chambers be somewhat lubed up? This will also cause ejection problems. Too much lube on case when resizing will cause bulging of case when resizing. Try the cases in your rifles just after resizing and see if the cases fit well then. If so you have a bullet seating problem. Start from the beginning and work all the way through.

I did have problems with two different die sets from Redding though. I won't go into it here as they make good products and I got two sets of lemons.
Old February 11, 2007, 11:00 PM   #3
okiedokie

Thanks for the info Chainsaw, could you please explain about the die not being set to resize adequately ? what do you mean to much or to little ?
Old February 12, 2007, 12:26 AM   #4
amamnn

It sounds as if you are not setting the shoulders back sufficiently. Your dies may be just on the border of proper adjustment. If so, then the difference in ram pressure and/or lubrication may be enough to make some cases ok and some not. Also, dirty dies will cause the same problem.
Old February 12, 2007, 12:30 AM   #5
hoghunting

Or you could be crimping the bullet too much and it is pushing the neck down and flaring the shoulder. If this is the case, lighten up on the crimp.
Old February 12, 2007, 01:06 AM   #6
okiedokie

What is the proper procedure in adjusting the dies right ? how do I set the shoulders back more as you say
Old February 13, 2007, 02:06 AM   #7
amamnn

It does sound as if your dies are not adjusted quite right since you're having the same problem using two different calibers. It's a pretty common problem that can be traced back to the sizing die most often.

Generally, the die maker's instructions are the way to go-- be sure you follow them exactly. If that does not work, sometimes you do need to screw the die down a half turn or so more than what they call for. I would not go much further than that at this point.
Old February 13, 2007, 12:47 PM   #8
snuffy

Quote:
Generally, the die maker's instructions are the way to go-- be sure you follow them exactly. If that does not work, sometimes you do need to screw the die down a half turn or so more than what they call for. I would not go much further than that at this point.
I want to take this good advice a step further. Most die instructions say to screw the sizing die down until it touches the shell holder with the ram all-the-way-to-the-top. That's good for most applications, BUT some tight chambers need a little more.

Because there's some flex in most presses, when you actually have a shell in the process of being full-length resized, the shell holder does NOT actually touch the die. Notice the next time you size some shells, take a strong light, look at the space under the die between the die and shell holder. I'll bet there's a gap there. Now screw the die down so that it touches the shell holder WITH A SHELL ACTUALLY BEING RESIZED. Just what Amamnn said, just more of an explanation, sorry to nit pick!

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old February 13, 2007, 05:39 PM   #9
mrawesome22

Turn the die down until it touches the shellholder. Then lower the ram and turn the die in 1/4 turn more. These will chamber in every .223Rem ever made. If you're using a bolt gun, I would recommend just switching to neck dies. But having two .223Rem's, you'd have to be very careful about keeping your brass separated.
Old February 13, 2007, 08:18 PM   #10
okiedokie

Thanks alot for the info fellas, problem is solved die was not scewed down enough to work right. AGAIN THANKS

I also would really like to THANK Mike for his on going concern and help. THANKS MIKE