The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 7, 2020, 11:47 AM   #1
cptjack

warning.

ok

Last edited by cptjack; September 8, 2020 at 08:34 AM. Reason: edited
Old September 7, 2020, 01:10 PM   #2
lordmorgul

warning.

Factory seconds can be for several reasons, size included.

I have several batches from MidwayUSA of factory second 70gr and 55gr monolithic copper alloy projectiles (which happen to be Hornady GMX at much lower price) and they have good dimensions, slight discoloration.

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
NRA Life Member, CRPA member, Calguns.net contributor, CGF / SAF / FPC / CCRKBA / GOA / NAGR / NRA-ILA contributor, USCCA member - Support your defenders!
Old September 7, 2020, 03:29 PM   #3
higgite

From Midway's listing for Factory Second Match Bullets 264 Caliber, 6.5mm (264 Diameter) 140 Grain Tipped Boat Tail Box of 100 (Bulk Packaged). https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020523393?pid=392441
Quote:
Blemished Bullet Reloading Tip: Since these bullets do have slight blemishes it is always better to check bullets for defects in diameter before loading
Old September 7, 2020, 04:40 PM   #4
HiBC

At .004 under,I'd think bullet seating would not feel quite right.

If your measurement is correct, .260 is closer to .257 than it is to 264.

It surprises me a bullet would be that far off. If your micrometer says .260,what do your calipers measure?
Old September 7, 2020, 05:08 PM   #5
cptjack

my calipers says 260. ,Cleary makes 264 on box ,will be returned
Old September 7, 2020, 08:32 PM   #6
FrankenMauser

Check your calipers and technique, as well.
Old September 7, 2020, 10:58 PM   #7
cdoc42

"Blemished Bullet Reloading Tip: Since these bullets do have slight blemishes it is always better to check bullets for defects in diameter before loading"

I think that is a risk of violation of implied warranty to expect the purchaser to be responsible for defects that are not routinely expected to be present. If nothing else, it violates the trust the seller hopes will maintain his continued existence.
Old September 8, 2020, 12:15 AM   #8
higgite

Quote:
"Blemished Bullet Reloading Tip: Since these bullets do have slight blemishes it is always better to check bullets for defects in diameter before loading"

I think that is a risk of violation of implied warranty to expect the purchaser to be responsible for defects that are not routinely expected to be present. If nothing else, it violates the trust the seller hopes will maintain his continued existence.
I didn't take it to mean the purchaser is responsible for anything. Just a reminder that they are blems, use with caution. I don't think it precludes returning them, but that's between Midway and cptjack.
Old September 8, 2020, 12:39 AM   #9
jimbob86

I've bought Midway "blems" .... 7mm 150gr ..... discolored, but shot well ....took a deer with them.
Old September 8, 2020, 03:02 PM   #10
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Semantics -- or false inaccurate advertising.

"Blemish" refers to an appearance defect that doesn't affect the performance of the product, only its appearance.

"Second" means there's something wrong that may (or may not) affect performance of the product.

To my pedantic dinosaur brain, a bullet that measures several thousandths less (or more) in a critical dimension than the product is supposed to measure is not a "blem" and should not be advertised/sold as a "blem." It's a defective product, and should be sold as such -- preferably with full disclosure that they are .004" smaller than they are supposed to be.
Jeepaholic