The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old August 16, 2020, 12:00 AM   #1
BJung

Powder coating casings

Anyone ever try powder coating their rifle or pistol casings?

While shooting test loads at the range, I was grumbling about lost brass or brass separated by weight and now had to be weighed and separated again. Then I thought, hey those powder coat companies are PC rims and car parts.

At worst, you'd have to resize with a lee collet die or expand the case mouth with a mandrel to avoid excessive case neck tension.
Old August 16, 2020, 04:21 AM   #2
armoredman

I cannot see a single benefit to doing that, and a huge negative by making the case both larger and longer than designed. I also don't separate brass by weight or any other bench rest thing. The PC for car parts is not the same shake and bake method we use, I would hazard a guess. If you really want to mark them use permanent marker on the case head, different color for whatever it is you are trying to differentiate
Old August 16, 2020, 12:33 PM   #3
FrankenMauser

Powder coating cartridge cases would be an exercise in frustration from all perspectives.

If you want to color your brass, you can dye it.
Old August 17, 2020, 11:47 AM   #4
HiBC

I'm not sure what case annealing might take place. It takes someplace between 600 and 900 f to anneal a case neck in a few seconds,but annealing will occur at lower temps with longer dwell time.

IMO,its another factor to research.

I suspect a mess would occur in the sizing die, and don't forget when that brass is in the chamber at peak pressure it gets hot. You might transfer paint to the chamber walls.

Then,paint sticking to paint could mess with reliability.
Old August 17, 2020, 09:09 PM   #5
big al hunter

Color code a chart with Sharpie markers. Then put a line on the cartridge head that matches your chart. It stays until you polish the cases, allowing you to sort by color without the scale. And it won't caused the increase in case size and all the headaches that would accompany powder coating.
Old August 19, 2020, 05:33 AM   #6
Rondog

I powder coated some cases once, but I was making .45 Colt key fobs in team colors......
Old August 21, 2020, 06:57 PM   #7
Grey_Lion

WOW - can you say feed jams? - No way I'd PC the brass...... - Although Rondog has a point there as ornamental key fobs......