The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 16, 2020, 02:12 PM   #51
osbornk

Rather than a J Frame, I carry a couple of J Frame size revolver. One is a hammerless Taurus 605 and the other is a Taurus 856.
Old February 20, 2020, 04:41 PM   #52
Dave Chuppa

I’ve been carrying Two 442’s for years. Just recently I got a 3” 36. A 442 is always in my off hand pocket and the 36 is in my waist.

Last edited by Dave Chuppa; February 20, 2020 at 04:57 PM.
Old February 21, 2020, 09:23 PM   #53
joegator

642 with pocket holster.
Old February 21, 2020, 09:58 PM   #54
Kreyzhorse

My first carry was a 637 Airweight. Fantastic gun, easy to carry, easy to shoot. My wife finally took it over but one cannot go wrong with a snub nose as a carry.
Old February 21, 2020, 10:59 PM   #55
Rob228

I had a 642 and a 36. Great guns to carry. Despite significant range time, I never felt comfortable with my level of proficiency with them and have since sold the 642 and gave away the 36.
Old February 22, 2020, 08:13 AM   #56
Carl the Floor Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock185 View Post
I've always kinda liked 9MM revolvers. Had several, and still have a 940, and SP101 in 9MM.
I've done some chronographing, and it's what cosmodragoon said as far as power,etc. The more energetic 9MM is closer to .357 than any 38+P I've chronographed to this point. But there are those moon clips so many shooters apparently detest. I suspect the vast majority of buyers would be happier with a revolver chambered in traditional .38 Spcl., .357 or other rimmed revolver cartridge.....
I do not know about most shooters, but I love moon clips. And I love the LCR9mm. Load up about 40 moon clips before each training session. (Ruger moon clips suck, I purchase from Seebreeze). I like the ballistics, the cost, and the gun is this side of pleasant before going harsh. Shoots about the same in recoil as a 38Plus p. I like the way moon clips can carry and be reloaded quickly.

Here is a fantastic review in detail with the Ballistics chart compared to other small barrel semi auto's.
That said, I typically carry the 642 more often and train with the LCR9mm and LCR22.

"Moon clips are nothing new. World Champion revolver shooter Jerry Miculek has used moon clips to good effect for decades in his .45 ACP revolvers. Here's a real mind blower. Did you know that competitive revolver shooters will send their .38 Special and .357 Magnum revolver cylinders to custom gunsmiths so they can be machined to accept moon clips? It's true. Moon clips are the fastest way to reload a revolver."

http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com/search?q=lcr+9mm

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; February 22, 2020 at 09:57 AM.
Old February 22, 2020, 05:58 PM   #57
shooter1911

At 75 years old and retired I carry everyday. I never adapted to striker fired guns so my rotation consists of a full size Series 70 Colt, that has been heavily modified to my needs and desires, a SA 4" Compact 45 (Range Officer Compact) and a S&W 340PD. 90% or the time I carry the Compact 45 at 28oz, and the J frame rides with me in my most descreat moments. I have considered adding a Sig P938 or SA 911 in 9mm to the rotation, but I always go back to the 11.4oz j frame as my go to small alternative. It's so discrete I can carry it in gym shorts or a jacket pocket. The element of surprise, and weight to power ratio is so awesome, I don't think I could give it up. Yes J frames are hard to master, but I think I have a fairly good handle after playing with then for about the last 50 years.

From another guy who lives in the great state of Texas.
Old February 22, 2020, 11:11 PM   #58
Grizzly2

I tried to buy 2 different 642's from the Performance Center. Luckily I ordered through Davidson's that allows you to return if there is a problem. Both had problems. Both had clocked barrels that were not centered on the frames. A very common problem with J frames and most revolvers today. Something to watch out for if you buy one on line or even in person. Look at a row of J's and I'm sure some will have clocked barrels. The second one had a very sluggish trigger return. Both were returned.

Years ago I bought my wife a pinned 3" 36 we both loved. Traded it but still liked the 3" size for ease of shooting. I had a steel 2" Taurus for a while. A bit heavy for pocket carry and one day I noticed the barrel wasn't straight on it either. This time though, the barrel threads weren't even drilled straight into the frame. No wonder it shot to the left.

Now I enjoy an older 3" bulldog .44 Special for belt carry and with deep pockets, pocket carry. Not as handy as a small J, but close enough for now. Until I pick up a 38 snub - maybe a Ruger lcr, I use a Ruger lcp .380 for days I want something to throw in a pocket. My 9mm is a dao Sig P250sc since I don't want to carry a striker. It's much lighter than my Series 70 Colt Govt Model and gets carried more.

Good luck picking one out and I hope you find a good one.
Old February 23, 2020, 12:36 PM   #59
shoebox1.1

I just started carrying my brand new charter undercover ( always carried full size 1911). I don’t think I’ll ever leave the house again without a 2 “ snubby. I love it!
Old February 23, 2020, 08:55 PM   #60
Master Blaster

642 in a Kramer pocket holster been in the rotation for 18 years.
Old February 23, 2020, 09:52 PM   #61
44 AMP
Staff

No J frame, Colt Cobra...I get another shot,
Old February 24, 2020, 09:24 PM   #62
badge851

Primary is an S&W® M&P® Bodyguard™ DAO 38 with a CT® Laser. BUG is a Charter Arms Undercover® DAO 38. Both guns are loaded with Hornady® Critical Defense ammunition.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
Old February 25, 2020, 12:34 PM   #63
Carl the Floor Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeIronSights View Post
I used to own a model 60 and 649. Both were reliable and super easy to carry. I liked both very much. And then, one day, Kimber decided to build the K6s with a hammer. I traded my J-frame revolvers for the K6s. Needless to say, I love this revolver. It is sturdy, as a Ruger SP101, and is similar in size to a J-frame with six shots. I can carry it in the pocket, waist holster and even an ankle holster. It also has better sights. It is expensive but well worth every penny. It handles .38 and .357 ammo perfectly. I use .38 spl +P most of the time, when I carry it.

Regardless of the brand and model, every gun owner should have a J-frame revolver in his/her collection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The K6 is one really nice gun. Congrats, would love to have one. And I also like the exposed Hammer.

Just order this book of 38 tips for the Snubbie

Do you have a .38 snubby you carry as a BUG, or as a deep concealment weapon when discretion is paramount? If you do, you need a copy of Thirty Eight Straight Tips for Better Snub Shooting , by Michael DeBethencourt.

one of the most knowledgeable snub users around. For decades he has been carrying short barreled revolvers and teaching their use. This little booklet is available delivered for less than 8 bucks and every snub user should have a copy. See https://www.imwithroscoe.com/38-stra...snub-shooting/ to order yours now.

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; February 26, 2020 at 01:08 AM.
Old February 27, 2020, 03:12 AM   #64
BradS

Deceision Made

I found a used Kimber K6S at a price point I thought was good.
I should be picking up the gun tomorrow or Friday. Looking forward to it like a kid on Christmas.
Old February 27, 2020, 09:05 AM   #65
Carmady

Well,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LCR.jpg (93.5 KB, 38 views)
Old February 27, 2020, 09:47 AM   #66
Don P

I carry a S&W 649
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old February 29, 2020, 05:04 AM   #67
Rob96

Daily carry for me is a 340PD loaded with Remington Golden Saber +p's either in the pocket or a Don Hume belt holster.
Old February 29, 2020, 10:47 AM   #68
Nanuk

Nope, usually a Glock 31C.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old February 29, 2020, 03:18 PM   #69
Carl the Floor Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunBass View Post
I have carried a J-frame, but never really cared that much for them.

Then I bought one of the "new" Colt Cobra's. The J-frames went away. For me the Cobra is a better choice. It's a little bigger, holds six rounds rather than five, has a better trigger than any J-frame I've ever used, (A PC 642-1 was really close though). The fiber optic front sight jumps out at me, and the grip is bigger and fits my hand better, giving better control, so as a result, I shoot it better than I ever have any J-frame.

Colt got this one right...for me anyway. YMMV.

Range buddy let me try out his new Colt Cobra over holidays. Felt great, shot great. I have a 642, and two LCR's. Thinking of move up a notch and the Cobra is on the list.

Don't laugh, but I also tried the Rock Island Armory and it was a nice shooter. Not a polished GEM, but it felt good, handled well. And you sure can't beat the cost.
Old February 29, 2020, 04:39 PM   #70
Sgt.207

340PD
Old March 1, 2020, 07:42 PM   #71
KeithS

I carry a 642 in a Kydex IWB holster
Old March 3, 2020, 06:10 AM   #72
JimCunn

Airweight 637-2 with titanium .357 Magnum cylinder for further weight reduction, reamed for 9mm and moonclips. Hogue laser grips.
Old March 3, 2020, 08:00 AM   #73
AirForceShooter

Taurus .327 Mag.
I like that one additional shot.

AFS
Old March 4, 2020, 01:05 AM   #74
bamaranger

2nd gun

I have a J-frame and occasionally carry it as a second gun, infrequently as a primary one. Its simplicity of operation lends itself to bamawife use and it ends sometimes as a car gun too. Back in the revolver days, my agency never authorized back-up guns, but it was not uncommon for J-frames to be carried outside of policy by those more concerned about survival and less about what bureaucrats thought. When policy changed and back-ups were authorized, SIGS were the primary handgun, and the SIG 230/.380 got approved for a second gun.
Old March 4, 2020, 02:27 PM   #75
jfruser

My preferred CCW rig includes both a 1911 (GM or Cdr) and a SW638. 1911 strong side, 638 pocket or ankle.

Many times I will head out with only the 638. Pocket or strong side OWB holster.

One middle-ground option is an Officer's ACP in 9mm. IMO, 9mm is perfect for the OACP.

As far as 9mm revolvers, I want a CCW allow 9mm J-frame with the cyl & frame shortened to reduce size & mass.