The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 25, 2020, 08:54 PM   #1
Deja vu

Is there a double action snub nose 45lc out there?

Thinking about a cool ccw gun. Mostly for fun but also possibly for protection. Is there any snub nose (2.5inch or less barrel) double action 45LC out there? Preferably a reputable brand.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old January 25, 2020, 10:55 PM   #2
74A95

here:

https://charterfirearms.com/products...6aca5874&_ss=r

https://gunworld.com/guns/handguns/c...og-xl-45-colt/

might be available here: https://gunprime.com/products/ctr-tg...25-5rd-sada-ss
Old January 26, 2020, 03:20 AM   #3
Hal

Quote:
Is there any snub nose (2.5inch or less barrel) double action 45LC out there?
I love the .45 LC. It's right up there with the .44 mag on my list of favorites.
I handload for it & run everything from mild to wild out of my Winchester Trapper & my Ruger Blackhawk.
I'd feel well armed with the .45 LC in any flavor - even the "wimpy" cowboy loads.

Only one thing would give me pause to consider using the cartridge for Sd in a D/A revolver.

It has a very, very, small rim. Under hard use, it's possible that the small rim may cause an extraction problem - such as slipping under the star extractor - and tie up the gun.

I'm not trying to rain on the parade - just pointing out what could possibly be a potential problem.
Old January 26, 2020, 09:49 AM   #4
CDR_Glock

You can also look at an Ruger Alaskan 454 Casull. It can shoot both a 454 Casull and a 45 LC. Plus you can shoot hotter variants.

Charter is always what comes to mine for me with 45LC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old January 26, 2020, 01:50 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

Charter Arms and Taurus make a 2.5".
The Taurus is that daft thing that also fires .410 shot shells. It's not exactly small at 9.50" long and 29 oz. though.
The Charter is their SS Bulldog XL at 22 ounces empty and significant recoil.
Either one of 'em would give a great big fire ball upon firing. The slightly heavier Judge would have slightly less felt recoil.
"...a reputable brand..." That'd be more of a 'your opinion' thing. My boss in the gun shop had a 19 ounce, .44 Special Bulldog(his then 7 year old son shot the thing with no fuss) and Taurus has a bad customer service rep.
Old January 26, 2020, 08:17 PM   #6
Forte S+W

The Taurus Judge Public Defender and Smith & Wesson Governor come to mind, but those are combo .45LC/.410 Revolvers which are on the big side, but the weight helps absorb the recoil and the utility of shooting .410 makes it more versatile.

Other than that, the Charter Arms Bulldog XL is the only .45LC DA Snubnose Revolver I can think of.
Old January 26, 2020, 10:32 PM   #7
mcb66

Taurus 450. A cool little pocket gun. Very difficult to find though. I looked about a year for mine.
Old January 28, 2020, 09:58 AM   #8
Real Gun

Unless we change how we dress (or eat), we will always come back to that small round in a little gun and then bemoan the recoil as it is.
Old January 29, 2020, 12:58 AM   #9
mrray13

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/854861107

Might toss a bid or two at this myself..
Old January 30, 2020, 05:14 PM   #10
gwpercle

Taurus made one , a 5 shot DA and if they had any sense would make them again.

In 2004 I bought a Taurus 455 , 5 shot 45 acp because I was already set up with 45 acp loading dies and bullet moulds etc , having 3 - 1911's and plenty of brass .
The model 450 in 45 Colt was available but I decided to go with the 455 in 45 acp .
I can say the little bugger is ACCURATE ...I can shoot smaller groups than any of the 1911's and one is a Gold Cup !!!
The 2" ported barrel is so cool looking...I enjoy shooting it !

If you can't find a 450 in 45 Colt keep an eye out for 455 in 45 acp .
Gary
Old January 31, 2020, 08:29 AM   #11
TruthTellers

Currently it's only Charter Arms, but if you want to include .410 in that Taurus has their Public Defender.

As others have said, Taurus did make a .45LC only snub, but as with most of their guns people are interested in, they no longer make it. Taurus releases and discontinues so many guns that if there's anything, and I mean ANYTHING, of theirs that they are currently producing that isn't one of their common models (PT111, Judge, Model 85, etc. ) that you have even an inkling of interest in, buy it now.

One reason I think I may move that ported .357/9mm 7 shot revolver from the long list up to the short list. I think I'll wait until after April tho, I feel almost everyone is going to be offering a rebate this Summer/Fall to move product before the election.

But as to what's available for snub .45 Colts... not much. You may be better served looking for a snub .45 ACP revolver or looking at a .45 Colt only Bond Arms.
Old January 31, 2020, 12:19 PM   #12
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthTellers View Post
As others have said, Taurus did make a .45LC only snub, but as with most of their guns people are interested in, they no longer make it. Taurus releases and discontinues so many guns that if there's anything, and I mean ANYTHING, of theirs that they are currently producing that isn't one of their common models (PT111, Judge, Model 85, etc. ) that you have even an inkling of interest in, buy it now.
"Psst. You do know they discontinued their bread-and-butter .38 snub, the Model 85, don't you?"
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old January 31, 2020, 03:21 PM   #13
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee n. field View Post
"Psst. You do know they discontinued their bread-and-butter .38 snub, the Model 85, don't you?"
Nope, makes sense now why they were almost giving them away a couple years ago.

Well, just goes to show I'm right that Taurus is in the hype, release, discontinue business model.
Old January 31, 2020, 04:55 PM   #14
smee78

S&W Model 625-11 45 Long Colt, Scandium Frame Performance Center. Limited run, hard to find and expensive when you do. I bought a nice used S&W 25-2 that someone had sent off to the custom shop at Mag-na-port and had work done to it. It fits the bill and is a smooth shooter, finding a 25 or 625 and sending it off for customization may be an option for ya.
Old January 31, 2020, 06:06 PM   #15
mikejonestkd

There are a few 3" smith 625s out there. Expensive, but great handguns.
I have a mountain lite 4" 625 in 45 colt and it is a great gun.
Old January 31, 2020, 07:26 PM   #16
lee n. field

Quote:
Quote:
"Psst. You do know they discontinued their bread-and-butter .38 snub, the Model 85, don't you?
Nope, makes sense now why they were almost giving them away a couple years ago.

Well, just goes to show I'm right that Taurus is in the hype, release, discontinue business model.
They replaced the Model 85 with the reintroduced Model 856. 6 shot cylinder instead of 5 shot.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old January 31, 2020, 11:13 PM   #17
TruthTellers

Quote:
They replaced the Model 85 with the reintroduced Model 856. 6 shot cylinder instead of 5 shot.
While it's nice to have, a 6 shot cylinder is thicker than 5, not as small/comfortable to carry concealed. Would have been great if Taurus made both and let people choose the one they want more.

I have a 6 shot snub, the Rock Island. It's fine, but if I were to carry it, it'd be open carried. No way I'm putting that cylinder IWB.
Old February 1, 2020, 05:07 PM   #18
lee n. field

Quote:
While it's nice to have, a 6 shot cylinder is thicker than 5, not as small/comfortable to carry concealed. Would have been great if Taurus made both and let people choose the one they want more.
They still have the 605 (5 shot .357 small frame).
Old February 1, 2020, 06:47 PM   #19
TruthTellers

Quote:
They still have the 605 (5 shot .357 small frame).
.357 means higher price. Not significantly higher in price, but still higher.

I don't care for .357 in a 2 inch barrel anyway. Anything under 3.5 inches of barrel would be better off being a .327.
Old February 1, 2020, 09:18 PM   #20
lee n. field

Quote:
.357 means higher price. Not significantly higher in price, but still higher.

I don't care for .357 in a 2 inch barrel anyway. Anything under 3.5 inches of barrel would be better off being a .327.
When I got my 605 the jump from .38 to .357 was another $25. I never regretted spending that extra. No, .357 is not something one shoots out of it often or for fun. I think of it as a .38 that will handle any ammo out there.

The thing about the 605, too, is that it is still covered by their old "any one, any time" warranty, instead of the current "first owner only" warranty.
Old February 1, 2020, 10:06 PM   #21
TruthTellers

$25 is nothing, but IIRC the 85 was going for under $200. The 605 is about $275 now. Not terribly more, but still enough more for me to lose interest. While I have .357's with 4 and 6 inch barrels and mainly shoot .38 out of them, from a snub I'm not interested in ever shooting more than .38 from it.

You do make a good point about the ability to shoot anything out of it tho, it will hold up a lot better than a .38 will to the hottest of .38+P.
Old February 15, 2020, 10:54 AM   #22
NevadaBob

I'm a bit late to this party but the 44 CA Bulldog has been on my radar for awhile. I was hesitant to purchase because I'd come across negative reviews that would put me on hold. Mostly about fit/finish. I do have CA 9mm Pitbull that shoots just fine. But there are some "places" on the frame and barrel that could've been shown more love with the grinder. But nothing that affects its shootability.
But CA does have a "newer build" Bulldog that is 45 Colt. Still has the 2.5" barrel but they refer to the frame as XL. Most reviewers report that the XL size is just a tad larger than the other Bulldogs.
g4gguns.com in Texas has the Colt 45 Bulldog at a nice price so I bought one. It's the 74530 model in stainless with rubber grips. They don't have a credit card upcharge and it's free shipping. All the ducks lined up. Just did this yesterday so it's in process to my FFL.
Looking forward to reloading for it. Hopefully it will be a winner.
Old February 15, 2020, 10:59 AM   #23
RoyceP

Here's a pre - lock 625 with the 3" barrel:
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/853842296
Old February 15, 2020, 12:22 PM   #24
Roughedge

I have the Taurus 450 I got when they first came out, the bullets weight as much as the empty gun.
Old February 16, 2020, 11:42 AM   #25
Forte S+W

Quote:
I honestly couldn't believe this when I read it and went to their website to confirm, thinking that it must be a mistake, but you're right, they actually cancelled one of their best-selling revolvers.

Granted that they still have the 605 which is virtually the exact same gun chambered in .357 Magnum and now they have replaced the 85 with the 6-shot 856, but it just seems absurd that they would discontinue an otherwise successful revolver which has been in their catalog for several decades.
I could see them discontinuing one of their botched attempts at innovation like the Spectrum 380 or outdated models like the PT111 G2 now that they have the G3, but the Model 85?

Oh, Taurus... For a time I was such a huge fan of their products, but nowadays they just keep making extremely questionable decisions like discontinuing popular firearms from both the Taurus and Rossi catalog, doing away with their Lifetime Warranty which covered the firearm itself, and worst of all, their prices aren't even all that great anymore so when the choice comes down to a Taurus or a Ruger for about the same price, Ruger wins.