The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 19, 2019, 07:28 AM   #1
9ballbilly

.32 S&W shotshells

I'm planning to load some shot-shells for my .32 S&W Pocket Positive for small pest control using the kit from Sage Outdoors.

My question is: Because of the small case capacity would it be more effective to use #11 shot instead of the usual #9?

The shooting parameters are; rat sized critters at ranges of 8'-10'.

Of course I'll switch too #7 1/2 for the hoards of invasive wildebeests

Thanks

PS I understand trying both would be best, but being on a fixed income I'd rather not buy a bag of shot that I have no other use for if it turns out to perform poorly. A nudge in the right direction would be appreciated.
Old August 19, 2019, 09:57 AM   #2
FITASC

8-10 feet is pushing it with 38 or 44 shotshells, let alone 32s. 11s would give you more pellets than 9s, as long as the critters are small. A 410 would be the ticket, whether in a shotgun or a Judge-type
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 19, 2019, 10:10 AM   #3
FrankenMauser

I think you may be better off with 'glue stick bullets', depending upon backstop and ricochet risk.
.32 S&W doesn't have much case capacity to work with, and centerfire cartridge shot shells are generally pretty ineffective beyond a few feet. You're asking a lot of the cartridge, by pursuing shot shells.

If you do insist on using shot, you might want to consider using .32 S&W Long brass to increase capacity. But of course, you'd need a way to 'neck' it, or a blank crimping die capable of starting the crimp low enough to work with the short .32 S&W case length.

About ten years ago, I modified a bunch of .303 British and .30-40 Krag cases to hold 1/2 ounce of shot for use in .44 Mag (minimum shot charge to be legal in Utah for grouse).
Even with 1/2 ounce of shot, the 'pattern' (a.k.a.: "donut") was so bad at 15 feet that I have stopped reloading the cases.

I did bag a few birds with the loads, but the risk of wounding and not recovering birds was too high to continue.
Old August 19, 2019, 10:52 AM   #4
9ballbilly

I will be using .32 S&W long cases. Forgot to make that distinction in the OP.

Sorry
Old August 19, 2019, 04:40 PM   #5
FrankenMauser

Honest mistake. I think I read your actual post too quickly, and paid too much attention to the title.

Wish I could be more helpful here, but I don't have any shot smaller than #9. My gut tells me that I would not be happy with #11 (having tested #12 in a few cartridges); but different people have different standards and expectations.

Why don't you load up a few test rounds and give it a try?
.22 LR and 9mm shot shells with #12 shot can be obtained without breaking the bank.
You'd have enough to experiment, without having to buy a whole bag (or canister) of shot.
Old August 20, 2019, 01:43 PM   #6
T. O'Heir

I'd be surprised if there's enough space in a .32 S&W, of any length, for it to matter what size shot is used.
In any case, shot fired out of a rifled barrel, any rifled barrel, flies in a spiral sending the shot all over and leaves great big holes in the pattern.
Old August 22, 2019, 10:34 AM   #7
9ballbilly

Frankenmauser- Exactly, I'm going to give it a try and see what happens. I don't have any high expectations about performance, but if pattern and penetration seem adequate at a few feet, then the little Colt will be just that much more versatile.