The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 17, 2014, 06:29 PM   #1
Blindstitch

American Knight Nipple/breach plug wrench

Last season my dad misplaces his nipple/breach plug wrench for his American Knight muzzeloader that takes #11 caps.

Does anyone know if there is a inexpensive substitute besides spending $35 if I can find the original.

Will ones work from other rifles. My dad seems to think if he could get the nipple out he could just use a large screwdriver to get the breach plug out.

His friend also has the same rifles and lots his so answering would help two people.
Old September 17, 2014, 06:44 PM   #2
Pahoo

Not lost, just misplaced !!

I don't have one to spare but I suppose I could lend mine to you. Removing the nipple should not really be a problem and as an alternative, you could use the extended nipple tool that TC provided for their Black Diamonds. Now then, I have seen both types from time to time, on E-bay. Your dad is right and you better hope that the plug will stay put while you remove the nipple. I once had a breech plug that broke loose before the nipple. They became one, stayed that way for a long time and I had a heck of a time separating the two..

Let me look around and see what I can come up with .....

OKAY!! This one should work and will list more as I find them ....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CVA-Nipple-w...item565f9482ef
and this one;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TC-9424-Nipp...item58b5519a2b
And another;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thompson-Nip...item540f14722d

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; September 17, 2014 at 06:53 PM.
Old September 17, 2014, 09:23 PM   #3
Blindstitch

Pahoo,
Thanks for those suggestions. The first one looks great.

Would you be able to give me the dimensions of the stock tool. Length, width and breach plug flat head thickness. I have a friend with a lathe that might like a quick project.

About an hour ago I got a call from my dad saying somehow he got the nipple out with needle nose pliers and the breach plug came out with a some other tool.

Of course he had to take the scope off but at least he got it. It has been like this since december.

Doesn't help that he lives in a small town in northern Michigan 300 miles from me and the internet is something that he will never have in his house.
Old September 29, 2014, 05:05 PM   #4
Blindstitch

I ended up buying the one in the first link by Pohoo and had the seller send it directly to my dad. He says it works fine for the $20 price. And he's going to loan it to his friend to have one made at a local shop.

For future reference in case the link goes bad.
Details about CVA Nipple wrench / Breech Plug wrench #1603 For CVA Inlines Muzzleloading