The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 12, 2014, 02:21 PM   #1
rduckwor

CFE Pistol: Description and Results

Finally found some pistol powder and this was it.

Hogdgon lists their starting load at 7.4 gr with a velocity of 1042 fps. Way more than I need. I worked up from 5-7 Gr for my 45 ACP and here's the outcome.

5" SIG 1911, 200 Gr LSWC. I need to make a reliable 825 fps to make power so I am thinking about 6.2-6.3 Gr will do it depending upon temp.

The powder falls between HS6 and AutoComp on the burn rate chart and is a small flattened disc conformation as far as I can tell. Smaller than WST, my favorite, so it should meter pretty well. High energy density and low load density so be careful when loading, depending upon your load you could easily double charge a case.

Seven grains in the pan and the 45 case.

Seems a bit snappier than WST in my hands, but then maybe I was just sensitive today.

RMD

Last edited by rduckwor; April 13, 2014 at 08:17 PM.
Old April 12, 2014, 09:59 PM   #2
Hunter Customs

I've been looking for some CFE Pistol to load some 45 Colt loads, I have not had any luck finding any yet.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old April 13, 2014, 12:14 AM   #3
Wreck-n-Crew

7gr is a good bit of powder huh (get about a 1000 out of that lb.)? Think I might have rather had the Autocomp but in these times you had to get what you could. I have seen some trickle in here and there. Found some Unique and all the color dots from Alliant the other day and thought I was fortunate hearing many on here still struggling.

I can see if you like the bunny fart loads that WST would be your friend. I like it too in 45acp. I get about 1500 rounds of 45acp out of WST and she burns clean. If I dial it down I might get another hundred loading cast.

How clean did it burn?
Old April 13, 2014, 08:01 AM   #4
rduckwor

Yeah, I prefer WST too but it has simply disappeared from the market. I haven't seen it in a year. Actually the WST was getting me 870 fps with 4.6 grains. Not quite bunny fart, but nice mid-range shoot able stuff for IDPA and USPSA.

The CFE did not burn clean until some of the higher loadings. Seems a lot like W231 in that respect.

Last edited by rduckwor; April 13, 2014 at 12:53 PM.