The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 14, 2012, 12:36 PM   #1
indy1919

So why do you folks like the SS ROA

I have seen a couple of SS ROA over the years, Where as I like them I have no desire to get one, For me they do not look as original as say Ubertis do.. So I tenderly toss myself out there and ask why all the love for them.. From the extra cost they command and the love I read for them they are obviously highly desired. What am I missing here????
Old December 14, 2012, 12:38 PM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

No historical accuracy, but built Ruger tough. They're developing a mystique as they are now out of production.
Old December 14, 2012, 02:04 PM   #3
Doc Hoy

As I see it

They are just fine shooting tools.

I have owned three and still own two and they are just an uncompromisingly excellent shooting system.

The only quarrel I have with them is the loading lever design. It would have been so easy to design a loading lever that does not take three hands to operate when you are disassembling the pistol. It is a mystery why they left it as it is.
Old December 14, 2012, 03:49 PM   #4
BirchOrr

Well said Doc!

There is a reason most of the competition BP shooters choose this pistol. I recently bought a SS ROA unfired from an estate sale. It truly is one of the best BP pistols I've ever owned.

I agree w/Doc in that the loading lever assembly could be better. However... Ruger set out to make the best BP pistol ever and in my opinion, they did. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy all my others... (Walker, 1858, etc.) they each have their own pro's/con's and I like them all. The ROA in my opinion, is at the top of the heap.

The only thing "original" about them is they are no replica of anything. Simply a Ruger original. If you want to get serious about competition shooting, the ROA is the one to have.

B
Black Powder: Not because it is easy, but because it is hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win...
Old December 14, 2012, 04:23 PM   #5
jmfc606

I have a blued one. Shoots great and built like a tank!
Old December 14, 2012, 07:12 PM   #6
Hawg

I don't like them and don't want one but I'm a minority.
Old December 14, 2012, 08:52 PM   #7
Andyspiros

Tough, extremely smooth action, great accuracy and overall a beautiful gun. I agree with everything said concerning the loading lever but I think it's a very small price to pay to own the most dependable black powder revolver ever built. I love the historically accurate reproductions as well, but you really can't go wrong with this gun. Keep in mind that whatever you would spend on it today is only going to increase in time due to being discontinued. If nothing more, it's a very solid investment.
Old December 14, 2012, 11:04 PM   #8
unknwn

My S.S. fixed sight 5-1/2 incher positively *GLOWS* !
When I learned about them, it was the only BP gun that interested me.
In the little less than a year that it took to find the one I've got I also bought a blue fixed sight long barrel ( both of my Rugers were unfired ! ) to accompany each other.
Then Its been off to the races! A barely fired Uberti Richard Mason .38 and my Dad's '70s vintage '51 CVA/ASM brasser has led me to the need to build suitable display cabinetry for an almost baker's dozen of the most interesting of the current Pietta reproductions.
And it all started with that original yearning for that subby stainless Ruger charcoal burner.
There's not an authentic 19th century wheelgun in the bunch, but that's OK by me, once I get around to "popping the cherry" on each one I won't have any qualms about shooting any one (or all) of them on a regular basis.
Try to say that about an honest-to-goodness Colts or Remmie .

Last edited by unknwn; December 14, 2012 at 11:10 PM. Reason: syntax
Old December 15, 2012, 10:15 AM   #9
PetahW

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy1919

I have seen a couple of SS ROA over the years, Where as I like them I have no desire to get one, For me they do not look as original as say Ubertis do.. So I tenderly toss myself out there and ask why all the love for them.. From the extra cost they command and the love I read for them they are obviously highly desired. What am I missing here????
For me, it's about two things:

1) They are the strongest BP revolver available.

2) BP cleaning issues are mostly resolved - I remove the grips, separate the cylinder & loading lever from the frame, and pop all the stainless ROA parts into the kitchen diswashing machine for a thorough hot water/soapy bath, making sure to remove it before the machine's long drying cycle. (The metal will be warm enough to air dry quickly).

Old December 16, 2012, 11:18 AM   #10
indy1919

Thanks all for the thoughtful reviews and comments.. I do not know if I will be in the market for one anytime soon..... But I am eager to give one a test fire or two.. And PetahW dishwashing clean up ... well lets say I would not mind poping some popcorn and seeing that little show.. It sounds to neat for words...
Old December 16, 2012, 12:13 PM   #11
PetahW

Just make sure that any "significant others" aren't home, when it's done. . . .

Old December 16, 2012, 12:47 PM   #12
Jbar4Ranch

Why do they have to look like something that came before? An 1858 Remington doesn't look like an 1851 Colt, not even the same caliber, but people didn't turn their nose up at them because of it.

I've got reproduction Walkers, 1851's, 1860's, 1861's, etc., but I've got a fair supply of ROA's too, and love to shoot them.

Since this picture was taken, I've acquired two more blued, 7 1/2", fixed sight models.

SASS 47015
Old December 16, 2012, 01:29 PM   #13
johnwilliamson062

Ruger has claimed the steel in the ROA is the same as on their centerfire pistols. A lot more confidence when shooting conversions. If I was going to get a BP revolver the ROA is probably what I would buy.
Old December 16, 2012, 01:33 PM   #14
4V50 Gary
Staff

After seeing JarBar4Ranch's photo of his ROAs, I now understand why we don't see them on the shelves so much.
Old December 16, 2012, 01:52 PM   #15
Doc Hoy

JBar....

....That is a dishwasher full.

. . . . . .
Old December 16, 2012, 04:58 PM   #16
Hawg

Quote:
Why do they have to look like something that came before? An 1858 Remington doesn't look like an 1851 Colt, not even the same caliber, but people didn't turn their nose up at them because of it.
For me they just do. I turn my nose up at brass frames too except for the ones that actually represent something used by the Confederacy including anything in the wrong caliber.

Quote:
Ruger has claimed the steel in the ROA is the same as on their centerfire pistols.
It is, they're all cast. Not that cast is bad, Rugers prove that.
Old December 17, 2012, 12:38 AM   #17
BirchOrr

I thought the question was...

Quote:
So why do you folks like the SS ROA?
(I happen to LOVE them). Didn't realize it also would include rude comments from those who don't like them, never owned one, or ever would.

Wow...
Black Powder: Not because it is easy, but because it is hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win...
Old December 17, 2012, 05:32 AM   #18
Hawg

Wasn't being intentionally rude just tellin it like it is.
Old December 17, 2012, 07:35 AM   #19
Sure Shot Mc Gee

American made!!!
Old December 17, 2012, 02:15 PM   #20
BirchOrr

Jbar4Ranch

Now that is a very impressive collection. Thanks for sharing!

B
Old December 17, 2012, 03:13 PM   #21
arcticap

They are practical working guns that are precision made. They probably have just about the closest chamber to bore tolerence of any moderately priced C&B revolver made. I don't know if that's because it's American made or not. But unlike any of the Italian guns, it wasn't reverse engineered in order to produce them. It's an original design and not a direct clone of any other previously made gun that required that it be reverse engineered.
In that respect, it's the only original C&B revolver gun on the market that was recently made that wasn't reverse engineered. The only other alternative for owning an original C&B revolver is to buy an original C&B revolver. And many of us aren't interested in shooting those old guns or want to spend all of the money that it would cost for one.
Too many of them have been socked away as collectables to satisfy everyone's desire to not shoot a reproduction.
I believe that most people are proud that the Old Army isn't a reproduction, but rather represents the modern evolution of what a C&B design could have been had the C&B era not ended due to the invention of primed cartridge cases. The evolution of C&B revolvers seemed to come to a stand still at that time until Bill Ruger decided to design his Old Army C&B revolver which he introduced in 1972.
Just like a lot of his guns it has garnered semi-classic status in a relatively short amount of time.
Asking what folks like about it is a lot like asking why do folks like their favorite Ford Mustang model, Corvette Sting Ray, Chevy Camaro, Dodge Charger or Oldsmobile 442.
All I know is that folks love them for whatever reasons that there are. They're strong, powerful, well-built, good handling and fairly affordable.
I can't say that the originals were any better or worse, it's all a matter of personal taste and folks vote with their wallets.
The world-wide popularity of the Ruger Old Army certainly can't be denied. That doesn't mean that everyone needs to like them, or like them enough to buy one. But I think that there are certainly more folks that admire them than own them. And I think that among C&B shooters, that there are more folks that like them than don't like them. Unless a person is only interested in historical re-enactment or shooting original guns, then what's not to like?
We all know that the Italian reproductions aren't originals and not the same as originals. Yet not many folks insist on only shooting originals.
I look at it as it's just part of the evolution of gun design.
Just like major league baseball has undergone changes and evolved over time. The pitcher's mound isn't the same height in either league as it used to be. And modern baseball gloves don't look anything like the designs that they used to be. Or catcher's equipment, or batting helmets, or the dimensions of the ball fields or artificial turf or the use of night lights. But I can't recall anyone ever saying that they don't like baseball anymore because of the modern evolution of these changes.
I think that only liking reproduction guns is mostly due to the organizations that promote historical correctness and only allow the use of historically acceptable guns in their competitions and events. But for those of us who aren't members of those groups or ever have been, then all C&B's are created fairly equal and are made to work reliably, shoot well and to have fun with.
I like watching baseball, I like both old and new cars, and I like all C&B revolvers. That doesn't mean that I would buy them all. But each individual likes what they like. It's just like picking out a spouse I guess. Love and emotions is what makes people tick. Not much else that I can explain about why I or so many other folks like the ROA.

Last edited by arcticap; December 17, 2012 at 03:33 PM.
Old December 17, 2012, 03:13 PM   #22
rclark

I am not a big fan of Stainless Steel (SS) but would like to someday get my hands on a SS ROA just because it is the 'last word' on BP revolvers. Truly the best BP guns that were ever made. I have a Blued ROA and really like it. I have some 1851s, a Remington, 1860s, but the ROA is the 'best'.... just not 'period' correct.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old December 17, 2012, 05:11 PM   #23
mykeal

There is an old time baseball league here in mid-Michigan every summer. They play the authentic game rules in authentic (albeit reproduction) uniforms, using authentic-designed equipment. Some of them have been heard to say that they don't like baseball anymore because of the 'new rules.'

To each their own...
Old December 17, 2012, 05:57 PM   #24
pohill

From what I've seen, experienced and read, the ROA design was based on the Rogers & Spencer .44. If you've ever handled an original R&S and a ROA, you'd probably agree.
Old December 17, 2012, 07:20 PM   #25
robhof

robhof

As said above"AMERICAN made", I've got 2 and shoot them both quite alot, in fact they have become my favorite range guns and I've even hunted with them. I have others both B/p and modern, revolvers and autos, but have learned the fun of B/p and ease of cleaning the SS guns, even in the dish washer on occasion.