The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 14, 2012, 03:10 PM   #51
capt Ajax

Taurus Tracker 357 with a titanium frame. Fits nicely attached forward on my saddle as a horse pistol, or in the back woods if your hiking on long treks. To quote Schwarzenegger in the movie "The Villain"....It's a 7 shot 6-shooter!!
Old November 14, 2012, 06:07 PM   #52
scrubcedar

I carried a Single Six for years in snake and cougar country, never felt under gunned. Stupid accurate, which was much more important to me than power. It was southern colorado scrubland and I knew that my most likely target would be snakes. Most rattlers in that part of the country were pretty close to invisible. The ones that rattled I just walked away from, no big deal. A couple of them I wasn't paying enough attention, and got into a situation where I couldn't walk away. At that point I wanted ACCURACY and absolutely nothing else. I can't imagine trying to make those shots with fixed sights and a 2" barrel. .38 ammo is cheap, .22 ammo is much cheaper, and a .22mag is surprisingly effective, especially with a longer barrel. The small frame Single Six means that even with a longer barrel it doesn't weigh that much.
Old November 14, 2012, 08:59 PM   #53
cole k

Quote: azmark; August 11, 2012,
What kind of revolver would be a convenient and not pricey trail gun for hiking? I'm thinking of maybe a .22 or a .38.

When I was young, I carried a .22, but that was 40 years ago. Then I went carrying a .38 Spl loaded with shoot shells and 140 gr LSWCHPs. Now I carry a .357 Mag loaded with shoot shells and 158 gr LSWCHPs.
Old November 17, 2012, 10:32 AM   #54
azmark

Update from OP

I went and got a semi auto for the trail. Sig P250 subcompact in 9 mm. I chose it because it is light, reliable, great grip feel. Snake shot rounds cycle the action every time. It was a great price at my local PX. Here's the downside... It's not a revolver. I got the fever and snatched it up because it cost less than the revolvers I wanted. I had it so bad I SOLD MY 1911 to get the money I should have just gotten a shoulder holster for the GP 100 or the 1911. I miss the .45. I claim temporary insanity.

BTW, 9 mm shotshells work fine on rattlers. Recently I had one on the back porch and shot it with the 12 ga., but he wouldn't stop trying to strike even with his guts blown out so I grabbed the Sig and finished him off. I could have just waited, but the dogs were going crazy. Besides, I hate rattlers anyway.
Old November 18, 2012, 08:58 AM   #55
rodfac

Deleted
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old November 18, 2012, 09:39 AM   #56
PetahW

And, another one bit the dust..................

Day is done,
Gone the sun,
From the lake, from the hills, from the sky;
All is well, safely rest, God is nigh.

Fading light,
Dims the sight,
And a star gems the sky, gleaming bright.
From afar, drawing nigh, falls the night.

Thanks and praise,
For our days,
'Neath the sun, 'neath the stars, 'neath the sky;
As we go, this we know, God is nigh.