The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 9, 2011, 05:55 AM   #1
Doug B.

Starting Point: 9mm Loads, AA7, REM 124 gr. Golden Sabers

I fully understand most handloaders hesitation to pass along specific loads for any reloads whether shotshell or metallic. None if any published information is available for this load using small pistol primers and this combination of components. If anybody would "step out on a limb" and pass along a low starting load, it would be most appreciated. I work up loads in very small increments and consistently am watching for signs of unwanted pressure. I just need a starting point.

Thanks.
Old April 9, 2011, 05:59 AM   #2
WESHOOT2

I can't hear you

5.6g Power Pistol.
Old April 9, 2011, 09:58 AM   #3
rg1

Golden Saber's with their bore diameter and the driving band create less pressure than a standard copper jacketed bullet of the same weight. My experience with 124 gr. 9MM and 230 gr. 45 ACP GS's shows to get the same velocity of a copper jacketed mainly Hornady XTP HP's shows I need to increase powder charges for the GS about .2 (two tenths) grains. I'd say using same weight, same style, copper jacketed STARTING data would be safe with the Golden Saber bullets. At least I know that start data with Hornady XTP-HP data is also safe with the GS. Factory 9MM 124 GS overall length is 1.120-1.125". Lightly taper crimp to remove any belling.

Last edited by rg1; April 9, 2011 at 10:38 AM.
Old April 9, 2011, 10:47 AM   #4
overkill0084

http://www.accuratepowder.com/wp-con...d_data_3.5.pdf
Page 4

Does Remington publish data for their bullets? I couldn't find it on their site.
“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.” — P.J. O’Rourke
Old April 9, 2011, 04:05 PM   #5
SHR970

I gave up on GS bllets after just one outing with them in 45. All I will say is make a dummy round first and see how much further you can press the bullet in with mild finger pressure after you crimp it. The one good thing about your choice of AA7 is that it fills the case far enough that the powder will probably help support the bullet.

With standard bullets in 9mm, I have found that top end loads work the best with this powder.
Old April 10, 2011, 01:59 AM   #6
WESHOOT2

process?

I chose, bought, and loaded the 230g Golden Saber for my most-premium civilian personal defense loadings.
It remains my bullet of choice for my personal 45 ACP defense load.
Setback was/is never an issue.
Old April 10, 2011, 06:49 AM   #7
ojibweindian

AA7 and 124 Grain Golden Sabers

My Accurate Arms manual (downloaded from their web site) states charge weights for this combo between 6.9 and 7.9 grains. The load I developed, which gives me half-inch off hand groups of 0.5" at 10 yards, is 7.5 grains AA7, CCI 500 primer, and assorted cases.