The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 21, 2009, 11:42 AM   #1
awaveritt

Neck sizing by feel?

Got my new 223 Lee Collet Die set today. Looking forward to going home tonight and trying it out. But I'm a little curious about how one exerts "at least 25 lbs of force" on the press handle to adequately size the neck. This all seems a bit too "touchy-feely" to me. I'm used to the die stroke cycle doing all the work. Is it akin to the feel one must develop in seating primers in a press? Just wondering - I'm sure I'll get the hang of it once I try it. Meanwhile, I am interested in comments from any collet die experts out there.
Old May 21, 2009, 12:26 PM   #2
Buzzard Bait

so it's not just me

I use the lee collet die for my 243 rem 700, I tried to use one for my 222 but had extraction problems (chamber my be a little ruff in that rifle ) any way for some rifles the collet die is wonderful but may not be best choice for every rifle you own. That said I never felt confident about the feel, I liked to run the ram up to a stop like the shell holder dead against the bottom of the die. With the lee collet die the stop point is just a feel sort of thing. But I did sort of develop a routine that works. I double bump I run the case up until I fell the resistance of the collet sizing the neck and I use only slightly more pressure than the weight of my hand and arm on the lever then I back it out and turn the case 180 and bump it again. I think I have consistent results. The up side of using this die is cases stretch about zero, cases last a long time, and accuracy is very good, my measure using a v block and a dial indicator looks like the ammo is dead straight. And you are right you will develop a feel for it.

Buzzard Bait

Last edited by Buzzard Bait; May 21, 2009 at 12:33 PM. Reason: spelling skills of a child
Old May 21, 2009, 12:41 PM   #3
Smokey Joe

Lee Collet Die...

Awaveritt-- +1 on everything Buzzard Bait said. I have and use the Lee Collet Die for most of my bottle-neck case resizing. It works very well for me.

When the concept was brand-new to me I toggled my RCBS Rock-Chucker over, at the bottom of the stroke, and stripped the top plug right out of the die! Sent the stripped die back to Lee, explaining what had happened, and they replaced the stripped parts, and explained that in a Rock-Chucker, and any press with similar action, you screw the die in until the press CANNOT toggle over, and size the case by feel.

I too felt a little nervous, doing it that way, but developing a consistent pressure on the lever wasn't very hard. I too rotate the case and bump down on it again.

And I too obtain very accurate results in my rifles with this die.

--Smokey Joe
Old May 21, 2009, 02:46 PM   #4
Alleykat

I adjust the die until I get the desired measured neck tension. I don't worry too much about how much pressure is required to accomplish that. .002" neck tension works great for me.