The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 28, 2009, 07:12 AM   #1
KW Gary M

.40 155 grain JHP Recipe

Brand new to the forum here. I found it searching for a good recipe for a .40 S&W JHP recipe. I can find many FMJ recipes or cast recipies but very few 155 grain JHP. I like Bullseye, Unique or Titegroup powder. Anyone have a good defense round recipe you are willing to share?
Old January 29, 2009, 09:19 AM   #2
Don P

I am loading 155gr. cast lead with Titegroup at 4.8gr of powder. I will say you can use the FMJ data for your JHP. Start with the starting grains and if you choose to can increase your powder charge to the NEVER EXCEED weight. I switched powders from Unique to Titegroup. The Titgroups burns MUCH cleaner and you will find that Alliant powders burn on the dirty side
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old January 29, 2009, 12:23 PM   #3
WESHOOT2

not guessing......

None of those powder choices offer proper "defense load" properties.

Recommend Ramshot Silhouette or Vihtavuori 3N37.
Old January 29, 2009, 01:21 PM   #4
Don P

+ 1 Weshoot2 and I think we should add this point. As stated many times before should we really be reloading our self defence ammo. Question would be reliability #1 concern, # 2 actually used in a SD situation and now we are in court. State attorney to the court, store bought ammo was not deadly enough he had to make his own MORE deadly. Is my point getting accross here. Masaad has stated this on more than 1 or 2 times. Just some points to ponder.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old January 29, 2009, 06:31 PM   #5
steve4102

Quote:
# 2 actually used in a SD situation and now we are in court. State attorney to the court, store bought ammo was not deadly enough he had to make his own MORE deadly.
This is exactly what was stated at my Permit to Carry class. Here in MN, if you load your own SD ammo and you need to use it, be prepared to spend the rest of your life in jail, or suffer complete financial ruin. Sad, but true.
Old January 29, 2009, 07:10 PM   #6
INGunGuy

I NEVER carry handloads for my defensive firearm. I have also been told to not carry anything larger than the caliber the local LEO carry's

INGunGuy
Governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. That whenever any form of government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or abolish it, and to institute new government.