The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 22, 2008, 08:01 PM   #1
bugaiho

Powder measure

Hello All!

Why is it that powder measure companies say that their smokeless powder measure is not for black powder?

I have a lee volumetric thrower...I have used it with pyrodex to load my 1860 colt army.

I cant see any problem. I weigh the charge it throws and it looks pretty good.

my father in law just gave me his 1851 navy. so now I am revisiting this to see if anyone can shed some light on this.
Thanks
Mike
Old February 22, 2008, 08:13 PM   #2
Hawg

Black powder should be measured by volume not weight. Especially Pyrodex as it weighs much less than bp.
Old February 22, 2008, 08:15 PM   #3
long rider

GEE i wish my father in law would give me a 1851 navy,
istead of hell..
Old February 22, 2008, 08:44 PM   #4
bugaiho

what volume do you put in the 1851 .36 and the 1860 .44 ? If you are using pyrodex that is?

I have seen loading data,,,they use the terms "grains"..

I am confused.
Old February 22, 2008, 09:00 PM   #5
mykeal

Grains is a unit of weight, and it is used that way in measuring smokeless powder, so it's use as a volume measure in black powder shooting can be confusing.

It works like this: for real black powder the volume of a certain weight of powder in grains is said to have the same number of grains of volume. For example, 35 grains by weight of black powder takes up a certain volume; that volume is said to be 35 grains by volume.

The use of volume for black powder has to do with the ease of volume measurement as compared with weight measurement when in the field.

However, this relationship between weight and volume measurement only applies to real black powder. Synthetic or substitute black powders have different densities than real black powder, so 35 grains by volume of Pyrodex does not weigh 35 grains, it weighs less. However, 35 grains by volume of Pyrodex gives about the same pressure wave as 35 grains by volume of real black powder; it just weighs less.
Old February 22, 2008, 10:49 PM   #6
bugaiho

Thanks for the description! That does help.

now...practical usage...

what is the best way to get the right volume/weight of pyrodex?

i have an old lyman reloading manual, but it states grains just like you would be working up a load for some modern smokeless round. It talks about volume too..

If i get this right,,,one could be loading too much powder if they were to use a scale instead of some volumetric device?
Old February 22, 2008, 10:49 PM   #7
Hawg

Get a bp powder measure.
Old February 23, 2008, 12:24 AM   #8
scrat

+1

get a black powder measure. its not by weight its by volume.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...=cat20819&rid=
Old February 23, 2008, 08:06 AM   #9
bugaiho

Will this one work too? a little cheaper...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Traditions-Powde...QQcmdZViewItem

Can I make one out of a large cartridge?
Old February 23, 2008, 09:17 AM   #10
Hawg

Either one will work, even a cartridge but you need to know how much powder your cartridge measure holds so you'd be better off with a regular measure. Personally I prefer one with a sliding top that levels the charge and also doubles as a funnel. I have two of these but don't have pics and can't remember where I got them.
Old February 23, 2008, 09:25 AM   #11
scrat

Quote:
Will this one work too? a little cheaper...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Traditions-Powde...QQcmdZViewItem

Can I make one out of a large cartridge
i have one of those. it works very good. You just have to get one. a powder measure is one of those things you gotta have more than just one. i have 3 of them. The more you get in to bp the more stuff you will want to have and will purchase anyway.
Old February 23, 2008, 09:52 AM   #12
45Marlin carbine

in reference to Hawg Haggen's post Dixie Gun Works catalog has a listing of the amount of BP different cartridge cases will contain. handy guide to use these as powder measures. myself I can add that a 7.62X39 case (AK or SKS case) holds 32 grs. 3F which I use as a hot load for my ROA and '58 Rem. this powder charge with a felt atop then a Lee slug leaves little room for more powder but a consistent ramming depth/pressure is obtained.
Old February 23, 2008, 11:51 AM   #13
bugaiho

Just found this on Hodgdon's site,,,

In response to a growing number of inquiries from the reloading public, Hodgdon Powder Company, Inc. has undertaken the evaluation of Triple Seven® and Pyrodex® for use in volumetric powder measures designed for use with smokeless powder.

Testing was performed by:

Canadian Explosives Research Laboratory
Global Environmental Solutions
Australia Department of Defense, Defense Science and Technology Organization
ADI (Australia Defense Industries)

Characteristics of ignition tested:

Friction
Electrostatic Discharge
Impact
Ignition Temperature

Test results for Triple Seven and Pyrodex were then compared to Clays® smokeless powder.

Evaluation of the test results reveals that there is no increase in risk of ignition from the use of Pyrodex and Triple Seven when compared to smokeless powders. Further, burn tests indicate that there is no issue with critical column height in the factory supplied powder hoppers with Pyrodex, Triple Seven or our smokeless products. These findings would be consistent with the United States Department of Transportation classification of Pyrodex and Triple Seven as flammable solids rather than as explosives, allowing them to be transported in the same manner as smokeless powder.

Hodgdon Powder Company will begin changing our warnings as soon as possible to reflect the results of our testing. We will now state that Pyrodex and Triple Seven may be used in any volumetric powder measure approved by the manufacturer for this purpose.

We have provided this information to the powder measure makers and have asked that they consider changing their warnings in a similar manner. If there is any doubt about the suitability of a specific measure, the user should contact the powder measure manufacturer.

If you should have any questions about the use of Triple Seven or Pyrodex in powder measures, please contact our Customer Service staff. 913-362-9455 or [email protected].

* Warning - Always use care when handling any gunpowder. Follow manufacturers instructions for proper operation of your powder measure. Read and understand warnings on powder label.
Old February 23, 2008, 03:35 PM   #14
mykeal

Hawg, here it is

Hawg Haggen said:
Quote:
Personally I prefer one with a sliding top that levels the charge and also doubles as a funnel. I have two of these but don't have pics and can't remember where I got them.
I think this is what you have in mind (same one I use):
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...sure&noImage=0
There is also this one:

Last edited by mykeal; February 23, 2008 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Spelling. Or is it speling?
Old February 23, 2008, 03:56 PM   #15
Hawg

No, mine are not hinged. The top slides open. It also has storage for caps in the bottom. I've had them for quite a few years and can't remember where I got them.
Old February 23, 2008, 04:06 PM   #16
bugaiho

Does anyone besides me own a Lee "Perfect Powder measure"?

The instruction manual lists VMD for each of their test powders,,(they test all)..

This powder measure has graduations for VOLUME (cc) so it is throwing a charge based on a dialed up volume.

According to Hodgdon, they are now saying smokeless powder throwers are okay to dispense pyrodex.

I would believe the simplest way to load up would be to fill a bunch of 30.06 cases with the predetermined amount...leave it in an ammo can on a reloader block...when ready to use, just dump in each case into each cylinder, pack the ball, cap it and fire!
(as you can see, I am trying to get out of buying a flask or measure, I dont want to spend another dime, just trying to use up what I've got, not going to be on this planet much longer).
Old February 23, 2008, 05:16 PM   #17
Hawg

30-06 holds 75 grs. level full so that would work. That's cool about the Lee mesure.
Old February 23, 2008, 05:21 PM   #18
Hawg

Quote:
I think this is what you have in mind (same one I use):
There is also this one:
Here's the ones I use.

Old February 23, 2008, 06:47 PM   #19
bugaiho

Hawg...from looking at all the variants, there doesn't seem to be a real 'must be exactly' right on amount ...considering the markings on those powder measures.
what I mean is that it looks like it is tough to set exactly 33 grs for example

Kind of like horseshoes and hand grenades? just have to get close
Old February 23, 2008, 06:52 PM   #20
Hawg

Yeah, close is good enough for bp. It would be hard to get 33 grs. exactly with a bp measure as most are ten grs. between marks. The one in the pic is set about 35 but that's just an approximate as it's "about" halfway between 30 and 40. That's my regular .44 pistol charge.
Old February 23, 2008, 07:35 PM   #21
mykeal

Quote:
No, mine are not hinged. The top slides open. It also has storage for caps in the bottom.
I know the description says hinged, but there's no 'hinge' on it, in the sense of a door hinge. The funnel is pinned to the barrel and swivels/slides out of/into the way; the pin is the hinge.

It does not have a cap storage compartment, however.
Old February 23, 2008, 07:46 PM   #22
Hawg

Quote:
I know the description says hinged, but there's no 'hinge' on it,
I used the wrong terminology but you can see from the pics how mine works. Slide the funnel over and fill. Slide it back and it levels the charge and is ready for loading. The funnel makes for easy loading of a bp revolver too.
Old February 23, 2008, 07:48 PM   #23
45Marlin carbine

powder charge in brass will be dependent on the wall thickness of the case, Lake City cases hold 72gr. 3F which is my load for my .50 cap-lock hunting. plinkin/camp out load I use the 7.62R case which is 65 gr. 3F. saves a little powder.
Old February 23, 2008, 08:43 PM   #24
Raider2000

.45ACP case will load 28gr. FFFG charge which is what I use in a pinch when I forget my measure at home "close enough to 30gr. to get the .457 Ball down range to the spot."
Old February 23, 2008, 10:42 PM   #25
bugaiho

Raider,,,thanks, that is exactly what I need! I have plenty of 45acp cases...about 10,000!

So, that will be fine for the 44..what about the 36 cal 1851? maybe a 40sw case?