The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 3, 2007, 02:02 PM   #26
gmeister

I initially fell in love with the size and weight of the P-32 when they first came out. I had one of the first few hundred, lot's of problems. Kel Tec sent me parts several times and replaced it once. Bought a second P-32 before I got the first one running, same story - many problems. Eventually got both running and then the P-3ATs came out.

I thought they must have solved all the early problems on the P-32 so I sold one of my P-32s and bought two P-3ATs. Unfortunately they were no better. Both of them went back twice and I remember one time Kel Tec sending me a bag of extractors for me to file at various angles to get decent extraction. I eventually sold one of them at a sacrifice price to someone willing to chance getting it running and the second one was bought back from me by Kel Tec.

I still have the first P-32 and carried it with some confidence until I decided that a S&W J frme wheel gun would be more reliable than any semi-auto could ever be. The snubby "pocket carries" just about as well for me too.

Swore off Kel Tecs completely until KT came out withe .223 PLR-16. Has worked great right out of the box, but it doesn't fit my pocket too well.

I believe that for some time, Kel Tec had the philosophy of not being careful about quality. Just get the product out and worry about repairs and replacements later. Even for guns that had been back more than once, they'd do a quick repair or slide replacement and not even test it to see if it worked. They claimed to test fire every one but I saw hundreds of posts from people who sent them back and got the "repaired" item having the same problem. (Getting the disassembly pin to stay in the gun was a typical problem on all their pistols.) Things may have changed in the last couple of years. Good luck if you try them.
Old January 3, 2007, 02:22 PM   #27
10 MickeyMouse

Quote:
2) There is a loose metal piece under the slide which, if you drop it, the gun does not work. I think it is called the extractor? Yep part number 115 - just looked it up. REAL easy to lose.
That'd be the ejector. The extractor is part of the slide assembly, and it's removal is not part of routine maintenance.

All autoloading firearms have small parts that can be lost. In the case of the P3, it's diminumtive size simply means that such parts are that much smaller. I hardly find an individual's inability to keep track of small parts a fault of the gun design. No one has ever claimed that all the small parts in the lockwork of a 1911 are a problematic design flaw. If one cannot keep track of gun parts, do not dissassemble the gun.

Quote:
1) You should not have to depress the mag release when you put a mag home for fear of wearing down the mag clip.
This concern is not exclusive to Kel-Tec pistols. I have to depress the mag catch in my CX4 storm to ensure that it survives, having replaced it once already. That's a $600 carbine from a very reputable manufacturer.

In order to keep the P3 lightweight and affordable, KT used the polymer mag catch. In order to keep the gun so thin, the magazine does not feature a beveled side to gently push away the mag catch when inserting a mag. You can slam them home, but doing this regularly is forcing a sharp steel edge against a small polymer surface. The catch is beveled, but it will wear.

People do seem to forget that the P3 is not a range gun. It is not designed to hold up to tens of thousands of rounds. This is a concession made to have the smallest, thinnest and lightest .380 produced. If you want a similarly sized gun that will take the constant use, it will be heavier and of lesser caliber.

You wouldn't use a tri-folding trench shovel to dig holes for planting large trees, would you?
Old January 9, 2007, 10:11 AM   #28
drub22boy

(no)-Safety Concerns

Da, I'm wondering how peeps carry around the P3AT in their pockets, loaded, without it having a safety. I want to buy this firearm, but don't want to shoot myself in the feets. Is there some special holster or privately engineered device to keep the trigger from pulling? If not, then I guess I'll have to invent something. I'll be derned if I walk around with an empty firearm, and I'd have a hard time whipping something up.
Old January 9, 2007, 10:16 AM   #29
TexasSIGMan

Quote:
Da, I'm wondering how peeps carry around the P3AT in their pockets, loaded, without it having a safety.
I do it all the time.

You'd have to REALLY try to shoot yourself that way.

What exactly do you think is going to "accidentally" pull the trigger besides your finger?

As for quality issues, it appears the latest version has taken care of the complaints. If you will read up on it you will see that the newest model doesn't have the problems past models have had.

Mine has approx 300 rounds through it with no malfunctions at all.
Old January 9, 2007, 10:25 AM   #30
bmatts1

p3at

Just got my almost impossible to find chrome slide 2nd gen p3at. I was really sceptical after reading many bad reviews. This gun is great! i fired 150 rds through it yesterday w/o one single issue, federal hydra shock low recoil were outstanding. This pistol was surprisingly accurate as I got 4" groups at 15ft on day one with it. I think the hard chrome is smoother as it was flawless and very impressive.
Old January 9, 2007, 01:57 PM   #31
NWCP

The little Kel-Tecs are BUGs period. They're not range guns. That being said it is what it is. A last ditch effort to save your tail when the SHTF. Shoot it enough to be faliar with it and to verify reliabilty then keep it clean and carry it. I fire a couple of clips once a month, or so just to keep a feel for the pistol. It's not my primary carry piece.
Old January 9, 2007, 02:10 PM   #32
Bill DeShivs

The K/T is very safe for pocket carry. Simply carry nothing else in that pocket. I do it every day-all day. Or, you can use a pocket holster, but still carry nothing else in that pocket-ever.
Bill
Old January 9, 2007, 07:10 PM   #33
WestWorld

I own two (S.O. and mine). We had a few rare FTE's at first that could be related to limp wristing. We now have 250-300 through each and they run great.

They do wear on your hand after a while.
Old January 9, 2007, 07:18 PM   #34
robroy15

Donnot use Winchester White Box ammo in this pistol. It is too wimpy for reliable ejection. Remington White-Green Box is OK.
Old January 9, 2007, 09:29 PM   #35
Dave R

Quote:
Usually there are more negative reviews on Kel-tecs than you see in this string.

I have owned three, two first gen P32s and one second gen P3AT, and none of them would function reliably after 300 rounds. All had extraction issues. The P3AT never worked quite right.

Hope you are luckier than I am, but don't be fooled by the above posts. The baby Kel-tecs are a marginal design, because of their tiny size, and the company is marginal on quality control compared to a real quality maker like Ruger or Glock.

If you decide to drink the KoolAid, be prepared to be VERY patient and maybe send the gun back once or even twice. Me, I expect defense pistols to work out of the box. Too much to ask of Kel-tec IMHO.
...And then there's me. I have have owned a P-11, P-32 and P-3AT. Traded the -32 on the -3AT, because I liked the 32 so much. Like the 3AT that much more. Still have the P-11. All have been great. If that's Kool Aid, I'm enjoying drinking it.

There are enough stories around for me to admit that Kel-Tec's are not all perfect. But there are a lot of happy Kel-Tec customers out there.
Old January 9, 2007, 09:53 PM   #36
bennnn

OK, dang it....

I started this thread, but I have not put anything else into it since everyone here chimmed in...

I started this thread to get some info on a trade I had pending, but I backed out and kept my range .22,, now you guys have converted me...
I'm going to just go out and buy one next week.. I should have took the trade, it was a great deal, I was offered a P3AT, with all the factory stuff, a bunch of spare parts, a good holster,, and it had the Kel-tec belt clip on it as well.... Dang it...

Don't let the thread die though, I'm going to join you guys as an owner....
Old January 10, 2007, 05:16 AM   #37
Ralph2

Don't do it! Don't. Stop.

Once you have been tempted by the Dark Side, forever will it control you.

One becomes two. Then another caliber, then again.

You can not be turned from the Dark Side, it is your destiny.

2 P-32's 2 P3AT's, thinking of a P-11.

Calm your mind, you must resist.
Old January 10, 2007, 10:47 AM   #38
Voyager AL

I bought one 2 years ago, a FG P3AT. To be used as my only CCW gun. I have shot thousands thru it. Yes, it hurts after awhile, and its not real accurate beyond 20 feet. It had to go get rebuilt last year, and came back all new except for the slide, which i had engraved. I no longer carry it daily, as i am more comfortable with a revolver IWB. But , its still carried in my back pocket in the summer, when all i wear is shorts and a golf shirt. I say go for it. Great guns. Of course, i ALSO like Hi-Points, but dont wanna start another thread bashing .
Old January 11, 2007, 03:28 AM   #39
brett30030

I have a 2g p3 and i really like it. If i am not at home inside locked doors it is in a guru dave pocket holster in my back pocket. I have become so use to it that it is like a wallet or car keys, they just go with you all the time.

KT does seem to have some problems, although i have had none. I did do a fluff and buff, more to do it than anything else (i.e. get to know the gun, and it was fun to tinker).

Limp wristing seems to be the predominant problems with the gun. Most people are used to a much heavier gun, and as a result are not used to the amount of recoil from an ultra light gun.
Old January 24, 2007, 04:18 AM   #40
Ala Dan
Member in memoriam

Well, I just bought a brand NIB KEL-TEC P3AT .380 last Saturday Jan. 20th,
07 in honor of my late fathers birthday. I haven't gotten it to the range yet,
so I will have too rely on your testimonals.
Old January 24, 2007, 12:07 PM   #41
Steve 48

My P3AT iseasy to carry and no FTF or FTE. It does eject those 380's a long way out and you probably will not reload them again. Steve48
Old January 24, 2007, 04:23 PM   #42
Tex32cal

I loved my P32. My wife loved it also, so she took it away from me. I felt bad about that, so I went out and bought myself a P3AT.

I feel better now.

Michael
Old January 29, 2007, 10:41 AM   #43
markboss

I bought a P3AT about 4 months ago, and the gun has been flawless...I have about 400 round thru it, and no issues at all....easy to disassemble, and is accurate....great gun!!!