The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 9, 1999, 12:46 PM   #1
bradleyt

If the biggest thing I'm ever going to load is .223, is there an advantage to a Lee Loadmaster over a Lee Pro-1000?
Old August 9, 1999, 10:41 PM   #2
Joe Portale

bradleyt,

I looked at both of these presses and went with the Pro-1000 mainly becasue of space requirements. The only thing that I can see different is simply mass. The Load Master is a very large press. The case loader is the same, the bullet feeder is the same, in fact just about everything between the presses are the same. The Load Mast is a five station press, so you have five rounds in cycle at once and the 1000 has three.

If you are planning on loading a huge amount of .223 or other rifle ammo, go with the Load Master. The Pro-1000 will not load cases over 2 3/8 inches. I load handgun ammo so the Pro-1000 made much more sense to me.

Also, don't by it from Lee directly. Go to Midway www.midwayusa.com They have the best prices on this stuff that you could imaging.

ps. I don't have any business interests with Midway. I'm just a happy customer.

------------------
Joe Portale
Sonoran Sidewinder
Tucson, Arizona territory

Old August 10, 1999, 07:49 AM   #3
FTG-05

If I had to choose between the two, I'd choose the Dillon 550B!!!

Albin
Old August 10, 1999, 09:05 AM   #4
bradleyt

Albin, have you ever actually owned or used either of the products from Lee? I hear from guys all the time who say "Buy Dillon" but have only heard from one who had any experience whatever on any Lee progressive press.
I believe the Dillon is probably the superior machine, but is it enought superior to justify paying almost twice as much? I doubt it's twice as good a machine.
I would appreciate feedback from you and others who have actual hands on experience with both Lee and Dillon.
Old August 10, 1999, 12:39 PM   #5
FTG-05

No I have never owned a Lee or any other type of pregressive machine (I do own and have used a single stage, which only caused me a great deal of dispair (it was so slow!!!). However, my brother-in-law showed me his when he bought it and we couldn't get one decent round out of it and he still complains about his guns "not working right" when they misfire(I don't recall what type reloader it was, it was red).

Also, go look at the Lee and Dillon web sites and look who uses a lamp shade chain in their press. Also I recommend you go the AR15.com and do a search in the reloading section and see the comments from everybody who's owned both. The archives go back several months, if not years, giving you a much better data base than the all the answers you'll get in this particular thread.

The reason why Dillon owners are fanatics is due to both the quality of their presses and the quality of the customer service. Look at the archives mentioned above and see for yourself.

As far as price is concerned: How much is your time worth? How much is it worth to you to ensure you won't have ANY aggravation that someone won't help you out with? Also, the price to buy is not the only cost and the higher priced item may in fact be the cheapest solution. Go read the archives and see how many went and bought "Brand X" and THEN bought a Dillon. Which do you think was the cheapest reloader then? Review the archives and see how many people (shooter's like you and me) and see how many regret buying a Dillon (and complain about the cost) vs. the others. See for yourself, its only a couple of clicks away.

BTW: I have no financial interest in Dillon; I am only a really really satisfied customer.

Regards,

Albin
Old August 10, 1999, 07:08 PM   #6
JA

I got the Loadmaster and 2 Pro 1000's. The case feeder is differnt on these presses. The advantage of the 5 station Loadmaster is that you have a spot for a RCBS lube die and Lee factory crimp die. I loaded 100 .308 over the weekend with only 3 problems. I had 3 cases tip over when they dropped out of the feed tubes. I substuded a 1 1/2 longer bolt that attaches the case feeder to the press to get clearence for the longer .308 cases. This longer bolt also lets it feed 30-06 cases.
I have loaded several 1000 .223 and 7.62x39mm on the Pro 1000 with no problems.
The only rub with it is that you have to lube the brass as all my pistol dies are carbide.
As far as Lee vs dillion goes all I can say is it takes 3 times as long to pay for a dillion in the savings from reloading vs buying factory ammo.
Old August 10, 1999, 08:57 PM   #7
Trooper

When I started loading I got the Pro because I was new to loading and the price was good. I ignored the advice of friends to get a Dillon and the old addage, "You get what you pay for." When it was delivered, the UPS driver said, "You should have gotten a Dillon."

After three weeks, I sent it back at my expense for a Loadmaster. When it arrived the UPS driver said, "You really should have gotten a Dillon. I can take it back right now and it won't cost you a cent."

I should have listened. Many will tell you that the Lee is just fine---my experience has been different. The Loadmaster is a very big machine. SOME of it is well made, other parts are plastic and pull chains. It is designed well, but in my opinion, falls short of what it could be. It seems to me that the design is done around "cheap"--how to do the job cheaply.

I spent a year using the Loadmaster. Most of that time was spent adjusting, replacing, and fine tuning---even after it is set up. To me, this is aggravating. I want to enjoy loading, not endure an evening of repairing and adjusting. I bought a Dillon XL 650.

It is all really a personal matter. If inconvenience and aggravation are not important to you, then buy a Lee. If you don't mind long distance calls on hold, ON YOUR DIME, then buy a Lee.

Before you do, however, I urge you to check out Dillon. Go to their web site and then go to Lee's. The difference in the two is like the difference in their machines.

Many will tell you that the Lee is cheaper---and it is in every way, including price. I will tell you that the price of a Dillon is worth it to not have any aggravation at all, no adjusting or troubleshooting when I go to reload. While putting it together, a TOLL FREE call, or a check on the web site, or a look at the video (none of which Lee has)solved the question at hand. Now when I reload, I only have to stop to fill up primers or powder.

Yes, the Lee is cheaper and it will take me longer to recoup my investment in ammo savings, however, I will still be using my Dillon long after you are on another of many Lee's, and Dillon's no BS warranty means I will NEVER pay another cent to keep my machine in top working order. Yep, you get what you pay for, everytime.