The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 8, 2006, 10:35 PM   #1
GLP Standard

Sight alignment

Im reading a book that a member on here mailed me (cant remember who, or the book name and dont feel like going to look)

Ive taken the advice in it, and gotten the proper grip..."the winning grip" if you will, as it is called in the book. Im using the "water bucket pull" method of pulling the trigger, and trying to watch my sights while I dry fire to see how bad they move around. They seem to stay pretty stable, but while im squeezing, my sight alignment moves all around. It seems like it stabalizes just before the trigger breaks, and the hammer drops, but theres really no way of telling without live firing, and my range membership expired on the 31st

Is there anyway to prevent this? I can hold the sights steady forever, but as soon as I start to pull the trigger, the sights move around, making my sight alignment off.
Old January 8, 2006, 10:59 PM   #2
Sweatnbullets

There is no way to keep a perfect sight picture, offhand. There will always be some movement, you just need to mitigate it as much as possible. The movement usually looks like an "infinity" symbol (side ways figure eight.) What you need to do, is steadily apply pressure to the trigger while this movement is happening and get your "surprise break" during the movement.

Never watch the movement and tell yourself to take the shot.........NOW! That will lead to a miss and possibly mashing the trigger.
Old January 8, 2006, 11:00 PM   #3
pickpocket

slow, steady pressure and proper placement on the trigger finger. Remember, the discharge should be a surprise at some point during what should be a lazy figure-eight motion.

Are you using DA or DAO?

"Sabah al khair -- ismee Dave, ahnee al Shayṭān"
Old January 8, 2006, 11:19 PM   #4
GLP Standard

Im using a DA/SA pistol. Im going to try it with my XD another time, but Im in the mood to use the Beretta a lot more lately, and I want to get some practice in with it for when/if I ever qualify (I hope soon, its getting kind of ridiculous)

Is this something I should worry about? It seems like theres no way to fix it, but if there is, someone let me in on the secret, because Id really like to get good at shooting. It doesnt seem like it does it if I pull the trigger back with the hammer cocked back. Only when I shoot it with the hammer forward. Ive never noticed it with my Springfield XD either. Maybe its just because of the long, hard trigger pull of the first shot with the Beretta?
Old January 8, 2006, 11:28 PM   #5
pickpocket

Sight travel will be negligible if you're shooting SA (hammer cocked back) because you are using significantly less pressure from your hand to work the trigger mechanism...it's the pressure from your hand when you squeeze the trigger that forces the sights to travel slightly.
If you're going to shoot offhand and take the time to aim in, I'd shoot SA (unless there's a requirement not to) and only shoot DA when you can pull the trigger back in one smooth motion if it's too hard to do with your Baretta.
The XD is DAO and has a much smoother pull, but even though drift will be reduced you're still going to have it...
Think about what you have to support your shooting arm....nothing. You're holding the weapon steady by sheer force of will. The only way to completely remove drift is to use a platform.
Aiming, breathing, trigger control.... Learn it, Live it, Love it

"Sabah al khair -- ismee Dave, ahnee al Shayṭān"