The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 26, 2005, 05:05 PM   #1
TheeBadOne

Fatal Police Chase, who's fault?

Man fleeing Brooklyn Park police killed by car

A man died Saturday after being struck by a car while fleeing Brooklyn Park police.

Officers said that the man ran after being stopped about 4 a.m. Saturday for a traffic violation and while officers were attempting to check his identity. He made his way through a residential area and jumped a fence before being struck by a car while attempting to cross West Broadway Avenue, police said.

The car's driver was arrested but was released pending an investigation, said Brooklyn Park Police Sgt. Marcus Erickson.

The dead man's name had not been released as of Saturday night.

link
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You'd think the Police would know better than to get involved in a dangerous pursuit over a minor infraction. I know that usually they don't end this bad, as most end with the out of breath suspect collapsing from exhaustion, or at most getting a few scrapes from being tackled, but hey.
Guess it's just another "Pursuit" death to be laid at the feet of "The Police"....

Old September 26, 2005, 05:13 PM   #2
jcoiii

Who's fault? Well, in reality it's the perp's fault for running into traffic without looking both ways. In the court room, who's fault? I can almost guarantee the local PD will be paying this moron's relatives a nice settlement.

I do not aim with my hand.......
Old September 26, 2005, 05:19 PM   #3
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Sad outcome, but the choice to run was his, along with the consequences. Now if the man were running from a dog or jealous husband, the headlines would've read "man dies after being hit by car" with no mention of the circumstances.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old September 26, 2005, 05:24 PM   #4
wayneinFL

Fleeing bad guy's fault.
Quote:
The car's driver was arrested
I wonder why?
Old September 26, 2005, 05:30 PM   #5
Rich Lucibella
Staff

TBO-
Lawful stop. Suspect Runs. Suspect Runs into 4,000 LB Weapon.
I'm moving this one to Training and Tactics since the only issue seems to be the importance of lOOking before running into traffic; or perhaps, the importance of defensive driving. There isn't a whiff of Legal or Political to it.

All yours, Denny. If the cops were carrying wheel guns, you may wish to pass it over to the Revolver Forum. Tam's should really appreciate that.
Rich
Old September 27, 2005, 10:08 AM   #6
jcoiii

We talked at length about this type of situation at the academy. The argument from the family will be, "If they hadn't chased him, he'd be ok now." On further reflection, I believe that what we actually talked about was if an innocent was hurt/killed during a chase. So maybe the PD will be ok afterall.

I do not aim with my hand.......
Old September 27, 2005, 10:17 AM   #7
Derius_T

I only have one question.....why did they arrest the driver who hit the fleeing BG? That doesn't seem right....
Old September 27, 2005, 10:18 AM   #8
mete

It depends on color of individual and many other things .In the Howard Beach NY incident an individual [perhaps on drugs] was being chased by neighborhood youths , ran onto a highway at night and was killed by a car.He was black chased by whites the whites were given the most severe punishments !!
Old September 27, 2005, 10:28 AM   #9
Derius_T

I dunno...I'd hate to try to turn this into a racial thing....

Theres enough of that ignorant crap already...
Old September 27, 2005, 10:55 AM   #10
MidKnight

Yeah, there's nothing about race in this story... as well there shouldn't be.

Clearly it's the fault of the BG. He ran. What's he expect? To NOT be chased? Then he ran out in front of a car further proving his brilliance.

Now as far as the driver of the car and why he was arrested: it doesn't seem right to us. However, we're only getting part of the story. Maybe that guy had had a little to drink earlier. Or perhaps he was going a bit fast. These are all things that in the eye of the law can make the driver responsible for the accident. This IIRC is because you could have avoided it by obeying the law. If the investigation proves that the accident was unavoidable under normal circumstances, then he'll be free to go.
Old September 27, 2005, 12:07 PM   #11
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Without more info, this is just a guess mind you, but I suspect the driver was detained, not arrested, for investigation of vehicular homicide. That would be SOP in that situation.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old September 27, 2005, 07:37 PM   #12
eka

"I'm moving this one to Training and Tactics since the only issue seems to be the importance of lOOking before running into traffic; or perhaps, the importance of defensive driving. There isn't a whiff of Legal or Political to it.

All yours, Denny. If the cops were carrying wheel guns, you may wish to pass it over to the Revolver Forum. Tam's should really appreciate that."

I can see how one would have trouble with where this fits, but I think it was made clear by these comments:

"You'd think the Police would know better than to get involved in a dangerous pursuit over a minor infraction."

"Guess it's just another "Pursuit" death to be laid at the feet of "The Police".... "

This is obviously just another attempt to take a swing at the police while demonstrating ones ignorance regarding police pursuit policy and attempting to ignore that the suspect was wrong in his actions. That's pretty pathetic!

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Old September 27, 2005, 08:34 PM   #13
k9lwt

You'd think the Police would know better than to get involved in a dangerous pursuit over a minor infraction. I know that usually they don't end this bad, as most end with the out of breath suspect collapsing from exhaustion, or at most getting a few scrapes from being tackled, but hey.
Guess it's just another "Pursuit" death to be laid at the feet of "The Police"....

What are you talking about? How do you know that this is a minor infraction? It was my understanding that the police were trying to verify the identify of the person that subsequently ran into a moving vehicle. He wasn't training for a marathon, he was running for a reason. Why would you assume that the police made a mistake in chasing someone that fled while they were trying to verify his identity? It's sad that anyone would assume that the police did anything wrong. It's even more sad for you people that say this is racially motivated.

As far as the driver goes, he was arrested for a reason. People don't just get arrested for no reason. I feel bad that the fleeing subject died, but unfortunately it's his fault.
Old September 27, 2005, 09:35 PM   #14
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Uh, guys? TheeBadOne IS a cop, and the quotes are simply dripping with sarcasm.

--Capt. Charlie
Old September 28, 2005, 10:08 AM   #15
John Ringo

Sounds like the guy was at fault.

Sounds silly if a LEO can't chase after someone without getting blamed for some injury sustained by a clumsy criminal.

"I like these calm little moments before the storm (Stansfield, The Professional)."
Old September 28, 2005, 10:18 AM   #16
Coop de Ville

Sadly, where I work, if someone gets hurt when I chase them it's my fault (Dept.'s fault).
"If chance be the father of all flesh, disaster is his rainbow in the sky. And when you hear a 'state of emergencies, sniper kills ten, troops on rampage, whites go looting, bomb blasts school,' it is but the sound of man , worshipping his maker." - S. Turner
Old September 29, 2005, 05:53 PM   #17
k9lwt

Thanks Capt, my mistake.
Old September 29, 2005, 06:09 PM   #18
RsqVet

Call me cold but I hope the guys estate has money to pay for the poor motorist's damaged vehicle and someone for them to talk to becuse it takes a heck of a toll on the person behind the wheel even if they know it's not their fault.
Old September 29, 2005, 06:09 PM   #19
spacemanspiff

nah its the cops fault. they should have known better to oppress the poor folks who cant get no job and have to commit crimes. i mean, if that poor guy who ran wasnt committing crimes his family wouldnt have a roof over their heads or food on the table.

Old September 29, 2005, 07:41 PM   #20
john in jax

Stupid perp's fault, he made more than one bad decision/choice that night and one of them got him killed.
Old September 29, 2005, 08:04 PM   #21
blackmind

Quote:
Call me cold but I hope the guys estate has money to pay for the poor motorist's damaged vehicle and someone for them to talk to becuse it takes a heck of a toll on the person behind the wheel even if they know it's not their fault.

Call ME cold, but if someone ran into my car's path and ended up crunched to death because he was a criminal fleeing from the police, I wouldn't shed a single tear, and I would sleep soundly that very night. Screw him. He punched his OWN ticket, as a consequence of his OWN misdeeds.

Am I uncompassionate?

HELL no.

I just reserve my compassion for those who deserve it!

-blackmind
Old September 30, 2005, 04:24 PM   #22
RsqVet

Blackmind, yes I agree with you, but that is an easy position to be in when you are removed from the situation, now imagine that you are a 19 year old kid, not very worldly and you splat some one, blood, guts, cops everywhere --- you can KNOW in your mind it's not your fault, you can HEAR when the cops, family and all that say it's not your fault, it still screws you up short term at best and takes it's toll on you.

Saw if first hand, dumb butt known for his stunts and showing off on his crotch rocket lost it compleatly in a curve, witnesses reported he had been up in the air doing a wheelie at about 80 --- bought it head on into the front of a VW jetta --- he was DOA, put my fingers in some part of his brain doing inital acessment, felt bad till I saw the kit who hit him who I pray is over that bad scene by now (number of years latter) but who the hell knows --- It's hard to see especally when you did't ask for it or expect it.
Old October 3, 2005, 08:53 PM   #23
Jack Malloy

You blame the moron who decided to run from the police.
In our area a stupid criminal got shot following a police chase. Of course some local media types who dont know anything about law enforcement, tactics or public safety went around going on and on about how the career petty criminal had been "murdered" by "dirty" cops. He kept babbling about how they shot the guy twice. I guess he gets his concepts of gunfighting tactcs from reruns of Gunsmoke or Mannix....

I feel he would have had a different opinion had his wife been killed in a head on collission because some scumbag decided to try and outrun John Law.

One of my friends who spent 30 years in LE once told me that the only time he had to draw his weapon in the line of duty, he was halfway tempted to use it upon himself as he knew that he would get crucified in the media and sued by the perp.
Old October 4, 2005, 02:55 AM   #24
tanksoldier

I guess white cops can only chase white perps, black cops black perps... patrol cruisers will have to be 15 pax vans so we can have one each of white, black, asian, native american and whatever else just in case they run into a suspect of that ethnicity.

Quote:
It depends on color of individual and many other things .In the Howard Beach NY incident an individual [perhaps on drugs] was being chased by neighborhood youths , ran onto a highway at night and was killed by a car.He was black chased by whites the whites were given the most severe punishments !!

GEN George S. Patton, Jr.
Old October 4, 2005, 02:58 AM   #25
CPTAUSRET

You run from the police, the consequences (of your actions) lie with you.

Terry