The Firing Line Forums
Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > S.W.A.T. Magazine

Old December 9, 2004, 06:39 PM   #1
Jeff Randall

Hello

I finally got the time to access this forum and wanted to drop in for a few minutes. I also wanted to say "thanks" to S.W.A.T. magazine for producing a publication that calls it like they see it.

Over the past few years I have written for several magazines that always seem to base their editorial review on advertising dollars. Now, I'm not bad mouthing good business sense but I believe any good manufacturer would welcome honest review of their equipment, since the bottom line should always be about customer service, improving what needs to be improved, and working with the guy in the field to deliver what's needed. Personally I think there is a profit margin in such business integrity and businesses who operate this way will be there for the long haul.

Recently I contacted Denny about a piece or two that I wanted to publish. To be short, I was well received by Denny, Rich, and S.W.A.T. magazine and just wanted to drop in and say thanks. I've been reading S.W.A.T. for years and I find it to a great magazine for those who go and do.

Best regards to all of you and thanks for the informative forums here.

Jeff Randall
Jeff Randall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9, 2004, 07:09 PM   #2
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Hey Jeff...welcome.
There are lots of really great products out there...we strive to cover 'em. Then there's the flood of pure trash....we tend not to waste space on 'em. Finally there's the promising new products that deserve an honest shake...we try to provide it.

Our approach is not new.....just different from what's been seen in most magazines in recent years. To the industry's credit, I've found many are willing to take their lumps with the accolades and without it affecting their advertising plans. Smith and Wesson, Thunder Ranch, Gunsite, BushMaster, DSA, Valhalla, Par-Ordnance among others come to mind as companies that have been receptive to honest critique.

Others are a bit more thin-skinned, but that's a personal problem.
Rich
Rich Lucibella is offline   Reply With Quote