The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 22, 2016, 01:43 PM   #1
rshepler3

7mm-08 with 162 ELD-X bullets

I'm new to this site and new to reloading. I've worked up and tried some loads but didn't see anything that really made me think it was great. I have a Savage 11 7mm-08. I've been using Hybrid 100v and Varget. Varget seems to be the better powder producing better groups. I've checked the load data from Hornady it states a 39.5 gn max. Hodgdon lists a max load of 41 gn. I've worked up and the best group I had at 100yards were 3 shots touching and 2 flyers about 2" higher. Just looking for some advice from some more experienced handloaders. All input is appreciated!
Old July 23, 2016, 10:05 AM   #2
Wendyj

I had some real issues with the eld bullets out of my 260. I load my 7-08 and 260 about the same. I had to give these bullets a little more jump to the lands. Shorter overall length. My best powder in my 7-08 is imr and h 4350. Haven't tried the eld in 7-08 yet but I'd bet it's the longer profile bullet needing a little more jump. I've shot everything out of my 7-08 from 120 grain to 175 grain and the best load I have is the 160 Speer hot core using 40.5 grains of imr 4350. These aren't max loads and I wouldn't suggest using mine and I'm sure a lot of people on here would prefer the bullets closer to the lands but the eld had me stumped for 3 range trips.
Old July 23, 2016, 10:39 AM   #3
rshepler3

I'll post some pics of my results. I worked up the varget to get decent groups but nothing I'm looking for. I did measure everything out and I have my bullets seated .025 off the lands. I heard a lot about the Optimal Charge Weight method so I gave it a shot. I think I'll stick to ladder loads. It might take more loads but I've had better luck. I saw 2 groups I'll go back and change the powder charge +/- .2 grains to see how it does. Thanks for your response
Old July 24, 2016, 10:06 AM   #4
qrz

It seems to me that unless you have the ocw computer software, the ocw measurements can be problematic. On Target TDS can take those separate groups and over lay a representation that might lead you to a different group choice to develop. If you buy the software, you may need a plain ol scanner that isn't an all in one. The program may not support your all/in one printer/scan. You can work around it but talk to developer first.
Using a quality brass (is Lapua, Norma), seating w/ a comparator using bullets that have been separated by measurements, etc will help eliminate flyers. Verify concentricity and consistant neck tensions, etc.
Another assumption is the trigger quality (something like a Timney, Geissele, etc).
Check your receiver torque screw (ie 15 tf/lbs 20, 30, or whatever yours is supposed to be), then go up/down a few pounds at a time to see if group variations occur.
Bedding?
Type of bench rest?
Old July 24, 2016, 11:16 AM   #5
rshepler3

I have been using the brass I had from shooting factory ammo. Some Hornady, Remington, and Federal. I did buy a box of 50 Nosler brass. I have been using the bullet comparator for the bullets that's how I got my seating depth. I don't have too many tools to really check alot of stuff. I have the basic press and balance scale. I bought a trimmer to see if that helped to get them all the same length. I didn't think to check the receiver screws I know it's tight but I don't have anything to gauge it with. It's not bedded I thought about it but never really went for it. The local gunsmith told me that it was a waste to bed a savage. I use the caldwell dead shot bags. I used a vice before but noticed it actually hurt accuracy.
Old July 24, 2016, 11:00 PM   #6
qrz

Brass is a big key in accuracy and you got that covered pretty good. Most of the time when folks place their barrel back in the stock, they just snug it up to what feels good to them and not torque it while holding the barrel and stock in one hand sort of at 45 degrees more or less vs vertical so the barrel is firm against the stock before tightening the screws. If your maual doesn't state what it is, call the manufacturer. You can watch your groups as you go 5-10 lbs above or below the recommended. There are rifles like the Vanguard series 2 that has 3 points of contact for the barrel to fit snugly in the stock. Varying the torque on the stock screws from the manuals 35 in/Lbs (or 55 in/Lbs composite w/ aluminum bedding) a few in'Lbs can change the force of those 3 contact points. That 7-08 round is an awesome one to have chosen. That is a good 1000-1200 yard round. Much past 800 yards and may want to think about a 20 moa base pending scope turrets. There are some really good Savage barrels and some good shooters. Keep the copper out will help. Might need a fouler or two some times once all the copper is out.
Old August 15, 2016, 08:00 PM   #7
rshepler3

Well I made it to the range and once I can put some pictures on here I can show you what I've done. First time I've been to the range since my last post. I was pretty happy with how things went. I still have some work to do and more loads to try but for starting I think it went well. I'm doing some ladder loads to see what I get. Wasted my time and money on the OCW method trying to cut corners. I'll be sure to post more as I go.