The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 25, 2013, 05:35 AM   #1
1stmar

Small Rifle primers not centering

Guys for as long as I have been reloading I have never reloaded small rifle primers. I have reloaded small pistol but always done on a progressive press. I am a bit embarrassed on this post cuz I'm sure it's something stupid. I am trying to hand prime some 223 cases, using an rcbs hand prime with an rcbs shell holder #10. I have the small primer ram in the hand prime but the hole in the shell holder is large enough for the large primer ram and the small rifle primers are not centering. I bought the shell holder yesterday so I don't think it's the shell holder though why the hole is so big is beyond me. I guess one of the other cartridges that work w a #10 is a large primer? Appreciate the help. Thanks
Old August 25, 2013, 06:41 AM   #2
1stmar

I think I figured it out. Someone gave me the hand priming tool, I think I am missing parts. Is there supposed to be a cup that screws down over the ram pin?
Old August 25, 2013, 07:42 AM   #3
Ole 5 hole group

Yes, you don't have all the items that initially came with the tool.

It should have come with the large primer feed and then you should also have gotten a small primer feed and large & small primer rods.

RCBS should have product instructions on the internet.
Old August 25, 2013, 07:54 AM   #4
cryogenic419

My RCBS hand priming tool has these plastic pieces that you slide the shell holdr onto and then slide into the unit. On the side they are marked S or L to indicate small or large primer size.

I am assuming you have the same one as their other priming unit has a universal shellholder

https://shop.rcbs.com/WebConnect/Mai...&route=C06J030

I'm betting if you called RCBS they'd hook you up with the parts you need.
Old August 25, 2013, 09:42 AM   #5
1stmar

Thanks guys that was it. There are small primer cups and large primer cups and the guy who gave me the tool tool the small primer cup flipped it upside down and was using it as spring capture plug. I never question it but it dawned on me this morning what he had down. Flipped it around and it worked great.

Thanks for the responses.