The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 15, 2012, 11:39 AM   #26
Eghad

They didn't want to sell one small part separate and were out of kits. That inexpensive part cost them over $100 because I did business with another seller.

I think a seller should charge your credit card only when your merchandise is shipped. If your card is being charged for something they don't have in stock that isn't right. If you want to sell with the big boys then you need to adopt big boy practices such as having and knowing what inventory you have in stock.

NRA Life Member
Old October 15, 2012, 11:46 AM   #27
cslinger

Unfortunately count me in the never do business with them again. Mistakes happen but downright rude service when you can even get in contact is intolerable.
Old October 15, 2012, 05:05 PM   #28
Erno86

Is something wrong with the design of the Magpul handguard? I ordered one from Midway...waited three or four months without recieving it; then I cancelled the order. I made the same order from Brownells...about 4 months ago --- still waiting.

I heard the Magpul sights are pretty drop resistant...compared to some metal ones; though I've heard of stories that they can melt under sustained repeated firing of the rifle. Could it be... that the Magpul handguard --- can also melt under sustained firing?
Old October 15, 2012, 06:57 PM   #29
Metal god

I mounted my Magpul MBUS directly to my railed gas block

This is a big NO NO . The gas block gets pretty hot cus the gases going through it . If you mount it to your hand guard / quad rail you should not have a problem .

I'm running my own test on this issue . I have not put enough rounds through it yet . still holding zero and has not melted after 300 rounds . 200 one trip 100 the next trip . Im not a high rate of fire guy so it's not likely to be a problem for me .

I do have a big BLM land shooting trip planned soon . Most likely will put 600 + rounds through it that day with some rapid fire . That will be the big test . I'll post what happens after .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; October 15, 2012 at 07:07 PM.
Old October 15, 2012, 09:06 PM   #30
jef2015

Once was enough for me. Slow shipping, improper order when it finally shipped, no communication and no shipping information. There are to many quality internet sellers to waste time with a company that seems half committed to the business.
Old October 16, 2012, 01:51 PM   #31
Fishbed77

I've only had good experiences with products and service from PSA. I've built two AR lowers from PSA kits, both of which were excellent quality. Their brick & mortar stores are always busy, but once you get a hold of someone, their staff is always friendly and helpful.

Online orders tend to be a little slow to ship when they have sales going on, but the wait has never been unreasonable for me.
Old October 16, 2012, 07:15 PM   #32
Bamashooter

PSA is over rated and there are plenty of places to get parts that will ship within days and not months.
Old October 16, 2012, 07:37 PM   #33
highpower3006

I ordered a lower during the Black Friday sale last Thanksgiving. Received it two weeks later (which I don't consider to be a long wait). Ordered a kit a week after I ordered the lower and received it the day before the lower showed up. I call that pretty good timing.

This whole year has been screwed up as far as gun and ammo shipments are concerned. The election has people scared that the Blessed Obummer and his crowd are going to be reelected. As a lame duck president they can go after guns in a big way, so everyone is stocking up.
Old October 17, 2012, 11:15 PM   #34
Marquezj16

I received my upper today.

$279 for a complete 6.8 SPC II upper is a good deal even though I waited 6 weeks for it.
Old October 18, 2012, 12:23 AM   #35
djcantr

I guess I deserve it for posting good things about PSA. Today I got a shipment from them and was shorted a stripped upper. I called and they said they'd send me one ASAP. Just don't understand how they can only ship one when the invoice clearly stated two.
Old October 18, 2012, 01:16 PM   #36
LSnSC

I stopped by on Wednesday and picked up some reloading supplies. They have never been anything but friendly. Counter guys are some of the nicest guns store guys I have ever met. I watched them be very patient with a store full of tire kickers.

FWIW, my wifes cousin is an armorer there and I poked my head in to say hello. I can tell you those guys were BUSY. He told me they cant get components in as fast ast they are sending them out. Pre election jitters has everyone nervous, buying stuff up.
Old October 18, 2012, 06:23 PM   #37
ritepath

Mixed results here in the 3 times I've ordered something.

Long shipping on one order.

Quick shipping on one order.

Wrong (or incorrectly represented) part on a "deal of the day" photo was of a new style assembly, I received a new but obsolete part. I emailed but didn't get a reply (I know it states to call) instead of saving 40 bucks I ended up breaking even so it didn't bother me that much. I figured they were trying to move old stock no one wanted anymore...(but it did ship quickly )

I'm not going to say that I'll not do business with them again, but I'm not going to get rooked again.
Old December 7, 2012, 08:01 PM   #38
jcbvh

my late .02

I know this thread is old. First post, and Im raising the dead, but....

I have bought numerous items from PSA. Not one single issue. They have great prices too. They like other vendors are swamped. I bought a beowulf upper before the election from a well known vendor...got it in 2 days! Ordered a 6.5 Grendel upper 2 weeks ago, shipped Monday, still dont have it. why!? Christmas I guess. Point is things happen, PSA is a great vendor like others, be happy you can still get things this easy.

MY .02
Old December 7, 2012, 08:30 PM   #39
Eghad

If you show stuff as being in stock it should be in stock. You should not charge a credit card till you ship the part.

NRA Life Member
Old December 7, 2012, 10:45 PM   #40
jcbvh

Im in agreement Eghad.
Old December 8, 2012, 01:00 AM   #41
Metal god

The funny thing about this thread is I posted a thread titled ( PSA sucks ) it was about how slow there shipping was , how they charged my card almost 2 weeks before they shipped my stuff and treated me like garbage when I contacted CS . I got ripped a new one by almost everybody telling me how great they were . It got so bad they closed the thread because of profanity and what not . OH how things have changed in 6 months

That being said . execpt for there CS and at times slow shipping I like them . They have quality products and good prices . Most of the time the stuff on sale can't be beat by anyone so I keep referring people to them . Heck I just bought 100 rounds of 308 from them .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old December 8, 2012, 01:05 AM   #42
tahunua001

for pete's sake...

I want all of you to picture your local gun store that you like, love and cherish. not a chain store like cabelas, big 5, or gander mountain but rather, your local main street gun/ Mom&Pops, since 1902, etc etc. they have a nice store, good prices and everyone in town loves them.

now picture if you will that your LGS opened up a website that is used by hundreds to thousands of people a DAY, not a month, not a week but a DAY. do you honestly think that they could keep up with demand and would you honestly expect them to never make a mistake? that is exactly the standard that all of you seem to be advocating. PSA is not a firearms manufacturer, chain store or wholesale distributer. they are, in fact just your average LGS with a website. if you want instant gratification on your online purchases, order all your crap from walmart, I however would rather wait a couple extra weeks for my stuff, knowing that 100% of my money is going to keep a small business on it's feet.

I paid upfront for gunsmith services from an online company that will remain anonymous. after 6 months of beating around the bush and receiving promises of "it will ship this week" I finally started complaining over public forums. I instantly garnered the negative attention of the business in question and was accused of slander and received my product in the mail less than a week later without so much as an attempt to try and mend the relationship.

and you people are complaining about waiting 2 weeks for shipping.

Last edited by tahunua001; December 8, 2012 at 01:11 AM.
Old December 8, 2012, 07:28 AM   #43
straightShot

I ordered two complete LPKs, to include the buttstocks. A day later, they went on sale for about $20 less each. They hadn't shipped them to me, yet, so I gave them a call and asked about the price. They would not lower the price, but they did ship the next day.

I guess that I expect too much. I'll shop somewhere else next time.
Old December 8, 2012, 10:06 AM   #44
ohiomossyoak

Hmm....This has me re-thinking buying my first M4 Carbine through them....
Old December 8, 2012, 01:11 PM   #45
Uncle Malice

I'm glad to see that I'm no longer the lone wolf in speaking out against PSA here. I had many of the same sentiments nearly a year ago now... and everyone blew me off as if I was making it up.

The slow shipping didn't really bother me too much. I can deal with that. It was the lack of quality control, non functioning parts, shipping wrong parts, and then absolutely ZERO response from their customer service department about the issue. I had to pay out of pocket to have a gunsmith fix a brand new upper so that it would become more than a single shot rifle. I gave them 5 weeks to respond before I paid to have it fixed. That includes numerous phone calls and emails.... nothing. EVER. It's been over a year now and they still never responded. That's absurd. It's not like a I sent one email or left one voicemail and it got overlooked. It was blatantly ignored.

I understand that stuff happens... and I'm happy to give the company an opportunity to make it right. My experience is that they don't care to make it right.

Now that their popularity has expanded, the prices aren't even as great as they were before... so I have no reason to purchase from them again. It was one thing when they had their $50 lowers last year.... now that they're selling blemished lowers for almost the same price as a Spike's or Aero Precision lower, I'll go with the ones that are more reliable.

I am a very strong advocate for Daniel Defense and BCM. After that, and for a little bit of cost savings, I think Spike's is definitely the way to go. Spike's is good stuff and has great customer service at a decent price. The one and only downside to Spike's is their popularity means that it's hard to actually get the rifle... if you can find them in stock... buy them!
Old December 8, 2012, 07:15 PM   #46
tobnpr

A GOOD retailer or wholesaler will be upfront about their delays- it's just good business practice.

Right on the homepage:
http://www.grafs.com/

and another:
http://www.wideners.com/

and another:

http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/

and on and on....

And yes, PSA does have this disclaimer on their website as well:
http://palmettostatearmory.com/

It's when they do not communicate with their customers that they (deservedly) get bashed.
Old December 8, 2012, 07:43 PM   #47
Nathan

You guys are insane. Do you know what you are paying for PSA's top shelf parts? You are paying like $0.50 on the dollar.

PSA delivers slow. PSA works hard to build a supply base of quality parts. They have found a way to eliminate jobs which are just people answering the calls of people whining about when their upper will be done.

There are $600 uppers available everyday and they ship quick.

I have ordered twice and been happy with everything except shipping speed. I can accept the shipping speed though.

Carry on!
Old December 8, 2012, 08:40 PM   #48
tgreening

Apparently they've also found a way to eliminate the job of people answering the calls of people returning THEIR calls.

You can say what you want about their prices, but that is NO excuse for having a **** poor customer service program in place. If you don't want to talk to your customers then at least have the courtesy to say so, instead of an answering machine that is perpetually full and incessantly drones on about being busy with other customers or packing boxes.

If business is that good, if you are THAT busy, you can certainly afford to hire a minimum wage school girl to give your customers a real live human being to talk to.
Old December 8, 2012, 08:56 PM   #49
Uncle Malice

Quote:
You guys are insane. Do you know what you are paying for PSA's top shelf parts? You are paying like $0.50 on the dollar.
top shelf parts? What a joke. Is that why they ship out incorrect parts on orders or upper receivers that don't function?

Daniel Defense and Bravo Company are top shelf parts. PSA is budget friendly stuff that 'usually works'.... but they have serious flaws in quality control and customer service. I can handle one or the other, but not both. If you have excellent quality control, you don't need good customer service because very few things come back. If you have excellent customer service, your customers can deal with poor quality control because they know you'll make it right.

Daniel Defense and Bravo Company excel in both of these areas... PSA fails at both.

They can build an okay rifle, sure... but it's definitely not something I would be comfortable betting my life on without putting THOUSANDS of rounds through it. Even then, I'd sooner bet on a new in box Daniel Defense than a PSA that's had 1,000 rounds through it...even if it's been flawless before that.

I gave PSA numerous chances to do the right thing. I placed orders with them several times even after having poor experiences. When they simply ignored repeated emails and phone calls about a complete upper assembly that was obviously very wrong.... they lost all respect from me. I documented that endeavor here... I'm sure you can find it if you search my old threads.

Quote:
You can say what you want about their prices, but that is NO excuse for having a **** poor customer service program in place. If you don't want to talk to your customers then at least have the courtesy to say so, instead of an answering machine that is perpetually full and incessantly drones on about being busy with other customers or packing boxes.

If business is that good, if you are THAT busy, you can certainly afford to hire a minimum wage school girl to give your customers a real live human being to talk to.
THIS.
Old December 8, 2012, 09:11 PM   #50
SamNavy

Another aspect of this whole "discussion" is to make one little comment... "IT'S GREAT TO BE AN AMERICAN!!!"

I think it's awesome that a firearms company is so busy that it can't keep up with demand, and that sometimes a little customer service suffers. You can have 100 people on the factory floor working to assemble parts and fill orders, and one guy answering the phones, and there will still be the odd guy who finds time to write on the internet about how horrible they were treated.

Talking **** about a gun company who is a little slow nowadays should be a real sign that ALL OF US ARE DOING SOMETHING RIGHT!!!

Tags
ar-15 , build , palmetto , upper receiver