The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old November 28, 2012, 11:14 PM   #1
PawPaw40

Full auto petition

There is a petition at the White House website to allow for the sale of full auto weapons made after 1986.
Here's the link.
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...-1986/xSkVHqwM
Old November 29, 2012, 12:22 AM   #2
Dr Big Bird PhD

Signing this petition is as worthwhile as the 660,000 people that signed secession petitions.

Never gonna happen
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old November 29, 2012, 12:25 AM   #3
5.56RifleGuy

Terrible idea. A lot of collectors would lose a lot of money.
Old November 29, 2012, 01:23 AM   #4
Tom Servo
Staff

These petitions are worse than useless. They're useless because nobody of influence actually reads them, and they're worse because they make people believe they're actually engaging in some sort of meaningful civic involvement.

You know who reads these? Sandy. She's a grad student at Georgetown who has to sift through these things, and she wonders every day why she's slumming it for free when she could have taken that job at the coffee shop for $9.00/hr. Once in awhile, she'll find a petition that might be of interest, and it gets passed on to some focus group who files it away.

24,000 signatures? Heck, I could start a petition to cover the White House lawn in bacon and get that many in a week.

As it is, I don't want the FOPA getting overturned. Not because I dislike machine guns, but because there's a lot of stuff we need attached to it. If we're to get the Hughes Amendment reversed, it's going to take time and effort, and we're going to have to change a lot of hearts and minds.

A poorly-written online broadside isn't going to make that happen. The administration won't hear it, and this Congress isn't interested.

Now, bacon? That's a possibility.
Old November 29, 2012, 02:03 PM   #5
stormin1155

Besides the reasons already mentioned, I think this is a bad idea just because it would stir up so much controversy from the public... anti-gunners for sure, but even from moderates, and even those who are generally pro-2A. We would be hearing all sorts of, "OMG!! Now they have machine guns! The sky is falling and we need to stop that, and while we're at it we also need to ban anything that looks like a machine gun, or that people who would like to have a machine gun would buy!!"
Old November 29, 2012, 08:15 PM   #6
Willie Lowman

Quote:
A lot of collectors would lose a lot of money.
Screw that. There are a lot of collectors that can't have the things they would like to collect because they don't have $15,000 handy.
Old November 30, 2012, 02:06 AM   #7
johnwilliamson062

Laws based on the financial interest of collectors?

I sometimes post without thinking also.
Old November 30, 2012, 03:35 AM   #8
Stressfire

Quote:
Now, bacon? That's a possibility.
Mmmmmm, bacon...wait...turkey or real? God help you if it's not from a pig

But, yes, those petitions are less than useless. Pretty much a feel-good mechanism to allow people to think that their government actually cares about their wants and needs. It takes a lot more than an online petition to do that. It takes lots of support and lots of loud voices - we only have the latter

We would all love to see the Hughes amendment repealed, but we also need a whole lot of the other stuff attached to GCA 1968, such as FOPA as Tom pointed out.

Oh, dear - 6 signatures as of this post...how about that bacon idea?
Old November 30, 2012, 08:25 AM   #9
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Screw that. There are a lot of collectors that can't have the things they would like to collect because they don't have $15,000 handy.
I think he was joking. As it is, I've met a couple of machine gun collectors who have no real interest in guns: they're in it for financial gain. In the leadup to the Heller decision, one of them actually mentioned that he hoped the Court wouldn't side with us due to fears that it might hurt the value of his collection.

I told him in rather colorful terms how little I cared for his opinion.

Quote:
We would all love to see the Hughes amendment repealed, but we also need a whole lot of the other stuff attached to GCA 1968, such as FOPA as Tom pointed out.
Actually, the Hughes Amendment was tied to the 1986 FOPA, not the GCA.
Old November 30, 2012, 11:44 AM   #10
Stressfire

Quote:
Actually, the Hughes Amendment was tied to the 1986 FOPA, not the GCA.
Doh! Ok, I'll eat that one - thanks for the correction.

Seems entirely too much happened in 1986! If I hadn't been 2 years old at the time, I for sure would have been on my congressman's phone 24/7
Old November 30, 2012, 10:02 PM   #11
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Seems entirely too much happened in 1986!
No kidding! David Lee Roth left Van Halen, and it was all downhill from there.

Many folks get the 1934 NFA, the 1968 GCA and the 1986 FOPA mixed up. It's a good idea to read up on all three, as they are interrelated.
Old November 30, 2012, 10:06 PM   #12
5.56RifleGuy

I was kidding.
Old December 2, 2012, 06:19 PM   #13
stevedscross

You know that they can just overturn a part of the law without the entire law. The amendment is just hurting all of us. It hurts us because future inventions and innovations are often the work of a garage inventor and this makes that prohibitive. Yes it is possible for a person to get the necessary licenses and permits to do the experimentation but it's not easy or cheap. I also don't care about a few collectors and them loosing money. But what really burns me is that I as a wounded veteran cannot own the same weapon I carried to serve my country with! (without buy a 20,000$ M16 and making it into an M4) It just wrong. Ok done venting now.