The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old November 1, 2012, 05:31 AM   #1
seeker_two

A Place For The .22lr.....

http://straightforwardinacrookedworl...lr-pistol.html

Interesting take on the .22lr in one's SD battery, no?
Old November 1, 2012, 06:53 AM   #2
Hal

IMHO - too "campy"...

While it's probably the truth, it perpetuates the idea that a .22 is an assassin's weapon or something carried by someone *licensed to kill".

I vastly prefer the stories in the American Rifleman where granny bests the bad guys with a "lowly" .22.

I'm 1000 times more likely to have a home invasion than I am to ever operate on an international basis..
No...make that a million...better yet..a billion..
Old November 1, 2012, 07:00 AM   #3
45_auto

Quote:
Being pursued on a long and rural darkened road head lights can be shot out.
Quote:
Take your index finger and tap yourself once between the eyes. Just once.

Now do it five or six times.

If those where fast moving .22 rounds what do you think it would do to you.
I thought it was pretty funny. Guess it depends on how much you believe a James Bond movie is real.

How many people here think that they have the ability to shoot out a pursuers' headlights from a moving vehicle in a high speed chase? How many think that they can put 5 or 6 shots between the bad guy's eyes during a fight?
Old November 1, 2012, 07:28 AM   #4
j3ffr0

Good post. Nothing wrong with .22. I'm faster and more accurate with my Mark III than any other pistol. I don't currently keep it loaded and ready for home defense, but I sure wouldn't tell anyone who does it won't do the job.
Old November 1, 2012, 08:38 AM   #5
mrt949

Most of the time my BERETTA 21A . is close by . Some people laugh at me because they know i have other pistols .BUT YOU KNOW YOU MUST HAVE IT ON YOU .not in the safe.
Old November 1, 2012, 09:39 AM   #6
west5757

That was an interesting article. I will have to say that it had me pretty fired up. I think they should make a movie about the life of .22 pistol in that guys hands. I'd watch it.
Old November 1, 2012, 09:54 AM   #7
Hal

Quote:
I think they should make a movie about the life of .22 pistol in that guys hands. I'd watch it.
They startd to make that movie - then M and Q made the guy upgrade to something that had a delivery like a brick through a plate glass window
Old November 1, 2012, 10:08 AM   #8
johnbt

"tires can be flattened from a distance"

I know my first choice would be a 2" .22LR.

I love rimfire, but don't agree with the majority of the article. First, I don't live in Mexico and can buy and use as much gun as I can afford.

John
Old November 1, 2012, 10:29 AM   #9
Elmer

It was a fun piece.

Now why I see why the grandkids like those Harry Potter books so much.
Old November 1, 2012, 12:22 PM   #10
sigcurious

Quote:
Ridiculous right.
The author of the article summed things up rather nicely.

The author has some decent points, but they get lost in the international super spy fantasy.
Old November 1, 2012, 05:13 PM   #11
Beagle45ACP

Yeah, I made it about five sentences into that before I noticed similarities in the syntax, diction, and overall outlandishness being shared with Gecko45.
Needless to say, I read no further.

Wastin' away my future children's inheritance one box of ammo, range fee, and bottle of Hoppe's #9 at a time.
Old November 1, 2012, 05:37 PM   #12
dgludwig

Spy vs spy belongs in Mad magazine. Real clandestine entities generally keep their concealed activities secret. CIA wannabes, on the other hand, trumpet their supposed dark missions to all that will lend an ear. Count me unimpressed.
Old November 1, 2012, 06:27 PM   #13
JimPage

I'll not comment on the veracity of the article. I will say that when flying non combat missions in the US I always carried a snub nose .22l for survival purposes. I could fit two boxes (100rounds) of ammo in the cigarette pocket of the flight suit.

I also carried the same pistol (revolver) hunting for the occassional partridge or rabbit...

It's a good round and handy.

Cogito, ergo armatum sum
Old November 1, 2012, 08:03 PM   #14
Corona

I have two .22s - a Ruger 22/45 and a High Standard Sentinel that's nearly as old as I am.

I love reading the Firing Line and other boards and got about two sentences into this "article." *yawn* I gave up on the drivel. Off to read some other more interesting stuff.
Old November 2, 2012, 06:46 AM   #15
seeker_two

I don't know how much of the spy stuff is true (and, if I did, they would probably have killed me by now....), but I posted that article here to show that the .22lr pistol has a place in our SD battery for some pretty interesting reasons. And anyone who argues that the .22lr can't be a dissuasion to a violent attacker hasn't spent much time in an ER. I even like the idea of the .22lr as a "hotel gun".....a SD gun that doesn't make a lot of noise or overpenetrate in a thin-walled setting.

As for headlights & tires, I think the author suggested that action while the car is parked...and, as he's in the executive protection business and may want to prevent pursuit quietly, I can see some merit.

....but I'm not trading off my 9mm anytime soon....
Old November 2, 2012, 09:13 AM   #16
johnbt

I've loved rimfires for more than 50 years, but if 22 rimfire has a place in my self defense battery, it's last place. And I certainly won't encourage anyone to use it if they have something better available. Sure, a .22 LR will kill a whitetail if you are close enough and make a perfect shot, but the deer isn't attacking you and maybe even shooting back.

"anyone who argues that the .22lr can't be a dissuasion to a violent attacker hasn't spent much time in an ER."

Do you see a lot of .22 LR wounds at the ER? At least they made it to the ER. They could have gone directly to the morgue.
Old November 2, 2012, 10:56 AM   #17
seeker_two

I've seen .22lr wounded in the ER's....also seen 9mm, .45ACP, and other handgun calibers, too. All of them stopped what they were doing prior to being shot....and most of them lived. Handguns of any caliber make poor single-shot stoppers....but pretty much all of them dissuade with multiple shots.

The .22lr might not be the most effective....but that doesn't mean that it's ineffective....
Old November 2, 2012, 01:10 PM   #18
tipoc

So, the title of the thread is "A place for the .22l.r." There are plenty of places for it so I click on.

There is a link to a story.

Pretty clear that the story linked to is fiction.

So what is the point of the thread? If the point is that folks should consider the .22 in small pocket guns for self defense then just say so please and make your case. Linking to that "Straight Forward in a Crooked World" is a crooked way to go about trying to make a straight forward point, seems to me.

IMHO there are better choices in in small back up guns for self defense than one in .22 lr.

If a fella can shoot a Ruger Mark II well than a person can do the same in 9mm or 38 Spl. in a gun that is more concealable and actually weighs less.

I have several 22s and enjoy them a great deal. They have many purposes and fit them well. For self defense there are better choices. Unless health concerns prohibit alternatives.

By the way, a good many people living in Mexico have a good many guns for self defense purposes in a number of calibers. There are gun forums in Mexico.

tipoc
Old November 2, 2012, 01:14 PM   #19
Elmer

Quote:
The .22lr might not be the most effective....but that doesn't mean that it's ineffective....
When it is, it is.
Old November 2, 2012, 02:20 PM   #20
dgludwig

Quote:
Quote:

When it is, it is.
And when it isn't, it isn't. The trouble is, that when it's isn't, you might end up being isn't...
Old November 2, 2012, 02:39 PM   #21
sgms

Story link to fiction, yes, a very bad fiction. The .22 is what it is, better than nothing but not as good as many others. Think I'll stick to the "carry the biggest caliber you can handle well" group.
Old November 2, 2012, 03:27 PM   #22
Dain Bramage

But, you see, Octopushy. The .22 is best for concealing with the Shpeedo in Antigua. Or the tuxshedo in Monte Carlo. Or getting fired out of a torpedo tube in Shanghai. Or was it a .25? I don't know, Q was the armorer. I could barely pay attention during those briefings.

Now, where were we?
Old November 2, 2012, 11:28 PM   #23
stormin1155

.22 is my favorite caliber. I have four .22 handguns, and have used one for CC. So far it has been as effective as my .357, 380, and 9mm, and I hope I never have to test that....
Old November 3, 2012, 10:11 AM   #24
TheNocturnus

I keep mine in the safe. It comes out when I go to the range or if I feel like cleaning it. I have other guns better suited for defense.
Brain (Use this one the most)
Old November 3, 2012, 11:58 AM   #25
seeker_two

tipoc: Since you're wanting to discuss proof...

Quote:
There is a link to a story.

Pretty clear that the story linked to is fiction.
Where is your proof?

Quote:
So what is the point of the thread? If the point is that folks should consider the .22 in small pocket guns for self defense then just say so please and make your case.
The point is....there is a place for the .22lr in a SD battery. The point is.... the .22lr round will cause damage enough to a BG that will allow you to survive....not bounce off a BG's hide and make him mad like many here seem to think. The point is.....even the lowly .22lr is a dangerous round and should be respected and utilized as such. The point is....the .22lr is another tool in the SD toolbox that can be useful in certain circumstances.

As I said before, I'm not getting rid of my 9mm or .357Mag anytime soon. But that LCR-22 I've been eyeing may be more useful than I initially thought.

Not looking to make any converts here....just to start some critical thinking...