The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 2, 2012, 11:46 PM   #1
rangerlad

Mystery Kit Flintlock- safe to shoot?

Hello all!

Browsing through my local pawn shop this morning I found a flintlock. I've been thinking about getting one for some time, and the price is right on this pistol. It looks to be a kit gun- someone did a nice job browning the barrel and oil-staining the stock/grip. However, its missing the leather and flint (no big deal) and the front sight (what the?). Examining the barrel I didn't see any stamps or makers marks, which also has me perplexed. Its 50ish cal, and looks a lot like Pedersoli's Navy Moll and Kentucky pistols, but with a round barrel, and an aged-brass buttcap. I realize I haven't provided much information in this initial post, but I'd like to know if there are any makers out there that don't stamp their barrels. Moreover, I'd like to know if this gun is potentially safe to shoot, or if it sounds fishy- I've had mixed luck before buying secondhand black powder weapons.
Old June 3, 2012, 12:11 AM   #2
the rifleer

There are probably marks somewhere, and that somewhere is probably under the barrel between the stock and barrel if it isn't near the lock. My guess is it is safe to shoot as long as there are no bore obstructions or major pitting/rust issues.

Make sure its not a toy replica or anything.
Old June 3, 2012, 06:47 AM   #3
oldwheat

It almost sounds like a Harper's Ferry pistol. A picture or two would most likely help solve the question of ID.
Old June 3, 2012, 07:21 AM   #4
Hawg

Could be most anything, Some kits are marked, some aren't and then again whoever put it together could have removed them.
Old June 3, 2012, 08:05 AM   #5
Rifleman1776

Very odd no markings.
From your description I'm thinking the Tower naval version made in Spain.
For $50.00 might almost be worth that.
I would pass except as a gift for a wall hanger.
Old June 3, 2012, 08:55 AM   #6
Hawg

Quote:
From your description I'm thinking the Tower naval version made in Spain.
Or worse, Japan.
Old June 3, 2012, 11:25 AM   #7
rangerlad

Egads! Heheh, I've seen a couple of those Japanese pieces gathering dust here and there. One rendezvous-er that owns a shop in the next county was trying to sell one, right beside all his fancy inlaid/scrimshawed powder horns When he saw me eyeing it I think he said something to the effect of "it probably shoots..." I stay well enough away though.

Doing some more interweb searching I'm fairly sure its from a Traditions "Pirate Flintlock" kit, as seen here http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/pr...roducts_id=140 There's a gunsmithing school nearby so I assume one of the boys got a kit and completed it for one of his courses. However, I don't know who Traditions is importing this from (could be Spain? anyone know?) and I'm still a little put off by the missing front sight. I don't think someone would "rob" an integral piece from a weapon that was otherwise in good working order, and then hawk it.

I'd love to take it apart and get some photos, but we'll see what the fidgety little fella behind the counter will let me do
Old June 3, 2012, 12:05 PM   #8
4V50 Gary
Staff

Pics plz
Old June 3, 2012, 04:15 PM   #9
arcticap

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerlad
However, I don't know who Traditions is importing this from (could be Spain? anyone know?)
Traditions imports many guns from Ardesa in Spain and they also carry many of the replacement parts for them.
Old June 3, 2012, 05:42 PM   #10
bedbugbilly

Without photos, it's hard to say what you have. Before shooting though, if you intend to, remove the barrel and check the breech plug to make sure it is a threaded breech plug. In the 60's, there was one company putting out pistols (flintlocks) that were using an unthreaded, smooth tapered breech plug that was cross pinned in the barrel. A pistol with that type of breech plug should never be fired . . . a nice "wall hanger" but not an operating flintlock to shoot.

If you can post some photos, it would be a great help. Not all kits and kit guns have markings. If it is something that someone made up, it could very well not have any markings on it.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63