The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 11, 2011, 12:02 AM   #26
warbirdlover

Dr. A,

Tell your son his rifle is pointing at his right arm! And also good job!
Old November 13, 2011, 06:03 PM   #27
rantingredneck

Had a pretty good opening day.......

.......even though it got off to a rocky start. Got up late, went to pick up my father in law and head for Mickey D's for breakfast before hitting the field. As we're leaving his house I realize that I've left my wallet (and driver's license, and hunting license, and concealed carry permit, and money, and.....) at home.

Back to my place to grab the wallet and away we go. We stop for breakfast and get to the field late......it was already daylight. I get my father in law situated at his stand (he's 67 and recovering from a broken arm 6 weeks ago) and head to mine. I'm in the stand less than 15 mins when he radios me to tell me that his gun is jammed up tight. Marlin 336 and he rimlocked the shell on the elevator and can't get the lever to move. I get back out of my stand and walk 1/4 mile or so back to his. I stopped by my truck on the way and grabbed my Ruger M77 .308 (I was hunting with the Rossi 92). Traded my gun out for his so that he could still hunt. Dropped his Marlin off in the truck on the way back to my stand. It's officially about 7:30 or 8 AM by this point, but I sat it out until almost 10. Didn't see anything.......

Got down, got his gun fixed. Combination of very little lubricant (gun was dry) and his bum wing soft shucking the lever created the problem. Took the mag tube apart to get the stuck round out and got it put back together.

So, long story short (too late) the morning kinda sucked...........

After lunch I headed to a different stand. One I haven't hunted since opening day of bow season. I think my friend and fellow TFL member Crazy Carl hunted it one day in muzzleloader, but it's been basically untouched this year. It sits along a creek bottom right off a pond dam. There's an old turn of the 20th century home place just behind and to the left of it and a 4-5 year old strip of clear cut right behind it. Deer love to walk the border of the woods around the old home place, the creek bottom, and the clear cut thicket.

So I'd been in the stand about an hour when I look up and see horns moving through the woods around the old home place. Lo and behold the horns were attached to a deer! He walked out at about 50-60 yards from me and stood there sniffing the ground. I raised the Rossi 92 .45 Colt and squeezed the trigger. Shot right over his back................

Apparently I was suffering from buck fever. He snapped his head up to attention looking for the source of the loud noise, but kept his feet planted right where they were. I'm glad that Rossi has a short lever throw because I shucked another round in right quick-like and dropped the second shot right where it needed to be. He was quartering away and the bullet entered right about the third rib on the left side and smashed through his vital area, exiting just in front of his right shoulder. He nearly jumped out of his skin and ran in a circle back the way he came, just as he got out of sight I heard a big CRASH in the woods . ..........I love that sound..........

Got down out of the stand and walked to where he was standing when I shot. No blood right at the spot he was standing but two paces away it looked like someone took a 5 gallon bucket full and just paved the ground with it. At the end of a ~30 yd blood trail Ray Charles coulda followed, I found this guy:

The 260 gr. hardcast WFN .454 bullet over a healthy charge of Hodgdon Lil' Gun did it's job. His vital organs were liquefied..............

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)

Last edited by rantingredneck; November 13, 2011 at 06:09 PM.
Old November 13, 2011, 07:51 PM   #28
Hunter Customs

rantingredneck,

Good job all the way around and a nice buck.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
Old November 13, 2011, 09:11 PM   #29
BIG P

Well I cant complain just about got the freezer filled with 6 does,Been workin on loads for a 25-06.Aint used it in a while.Going to swap to BUCKS for the rest of the season,Its time for the RUT here with a little luck I hope to take a couple more.Good luck YA'LL.
Old November 14, 2011, 03:50 AM   #30
rantingredneck

Thanks Bob.

Old November 14, 2011, 09:57 AM   #31
Picher

I've seen several does, but only one buck that jumped without opportunity for a shot. This is the first year in many that I haven't had an any-deer permit. That makes it a bit tougher, even to get a buck, because antlers must be seen before shooting.

I've hunted almost every day this month, but wind, rain, higher temps, bright moonlit nights, three grandkids hunting with me at various times, plus being a somewhat lazy-er hunter than in the past have diminished my chances. Bucks have been mostly nocturnal so far, but the rut is starting, so we'll see.

To make matters worse, I found a round rash on my upper leg today...could be Lyme disease.
Old November 14, 2011, 12:26 PM   #32
Legionnaire

rantingredneck, good write-up; thanks! I enjoy reading the stories as much as seeing the pictures. The stuff about your FIL adds good color, too. Congratulations on a successful hunt!
Old November 14, 2011, 01:25 PM   #33
MOshooter65202

Can't have a deer season without "Da Turdy Point Buck!!" LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89BiL...eature=related
Old November 14, 2011, 06:19 PM   #34
WWWJD

Harvested Nov. 12, 2011

My First Deer EVER!! (Woot!)

NRA Endowment FTW
Old November 14, 2011, 06:52 PM   #35
stu925

Quote:
My First Deer EVER!! (Woot!)
Congratulations, sure is a nice looking buck. Season opens here on Saturday, got my rifle sighted in but still have to sight in the muzzleloader, then I'll be ready.

Stu

Last edited by stu925; November 14, 2011 at 06:52 PM. Reason: typo
Old November 14, 2011, 08:29 PM   #36
liberty1

Just got back from Texas where my son took his first whitetail ever. We wanted to wait for bigger ones but a family emergency caused us to shoot the first ones we saw and head for home. We have had a great year with all animals though. Decent muley I took at home the week before.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Texas 11 258 (640x480).jpg (111.1 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg Texas 11 270 (640x480).jpg (71.3 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg second season 004 (640x480).jpg (91.5 KB, 108 views)
Old November 15, 2011, 10:10 AM   #37
rantingredneck

Quote:
rantingredneck, good write-up; thanks! I enjoy reading the stories as much as seeing the pictures. The stuff about your FIL adds good color, too. Congratulations on a successful hunt!
Thanks Legionnaire. My FIL has been my hunting companion for the past 15+ years. In the last few seasons we've had some health setbacks right when the season started that we had to struggle through but we made it. 5 years ago he had a quadruple bypass at Thanksgiving and I had him back out in the woods before Christmas. Four years ago I had a treestand accident the 2nd weekend of bow season, broke my back, he had me back out 6 weeks later. This year he broke his arm 4 days after bow season started and I got him back out there by muzzleloader. I hope next year isn't my turn again.........

Old November 15, 2011, 09:12 PM   #38
ISP 5353

An Indiana 8 Point
Old November 17, 2011, 03:52 PM   #39
Sea Buck

Picher: Re:Lyme disease. You need to see your Doc and (1) get on an anti-biotic ,(2) Get the blood test for Lyme. After several tick bites last year I had the blood work done: negative thank God. I picked up a tick that was embedded on my neck on the second day of the season this year. I took the antibiotic,and the spot still itches. I'm going back for the blood test this week. I tagged out on the 9th. The only one at the camp thus far to get a buck. Talked to a warden last weekand ,the expected deer kill is about 17,000.
Old November 17, 2011, 08:42 PM   #40
Kreyzhorse

Some real nice deer fellows. Congrats to all.

Here is my 8 pointer taken an hour into opening day in Kentucky. This guy came in behind me, silent as a ghost and busted me when I adjusted position on the rock I was sitting on. He spooked and walked back into the brush but came back out on the other side of ravine. When he came out of the brush, he was staring at my location trying to figure out what I was. After looking at me for a few minutes, he walked behind a cedar tree allowing me to raise my gun on him. After he emerged from the other side, I took a shot at 75 yards broadside. At the sound of the gun, he took off down hill and didn't appear to be hit at all.

After 10 minutes, I walked to where I though he was hit and found a light blood trail. A few drops, nothing like I expected if I hit him hard. While the blood trail was easy to follow, I was still worried I wounded him rather than put a fatal shot on him. At that point, I sat down and gave him another 15 minutes. I got up and started tracking him again and after about 75 feet I finally found duel blood trails, in other words, he was bleeding out of both sides. Not a lot of blood though.

After another 75 feet I found him dead under a small cedar. I had hit him in both lungs but I've never seen a deer take off like he did. He really acted normal so I was pretty sure I missed him. I've never seen a double lung shot deer bleed so little either.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0478.jpg (272.7 KB, 117 views)

Last edited by Kreyzhorse; November 17, 2011 at 08:48 PM.
Old November 18, 2011, 02:09 AM   #41
Blacktail_Slayer

3rd and best deer yet.

This year I drew a tag that allowed me to hunt all 3 of washington's seasons, archery, muzzleloader, and modern firearm.
I decided I was going to make it worth the draw of the tag and so I buckled down. I started scouting my area in March and hit it hard at least 3 days a week. No matter the close calls in early seasons, I didnt worry too much, I wanted to hunt the rut. The best season for the rut in my area is late modern firearm season, a 4 day season (this year Nov 17-20). I recently read a book written by Scott Haugen about hunting trophy blacktails and was eager to employ what I learned about hunting the rut and rattling for bucks. Something that is more associated with whitetail hunting.
The spot I had a good feeling about was back in some big timber, where it borders young jack firs. On the other side of the jack firs about 100 yards is a set of powerlines that is an active feeding area.
Before I headed there this morning I worked the outside edge of the jack firs, and saw a buck (didnt see the size so I didnt shoot) about 200 yards away another hunter missed a 4X4. The recent cold nasty weather had the bucks rutting hard. Then as it began to rain I headed to my spot in the timber. Sat up on a big old stump that makes for a mini-tree stand. I rattled on and off for about 10 min. I looked behind me and saw a doe 20 yards away, moving by at a slow trot. A gorgeous 3X3 with eyeguards came in with his nose to her rear. I couldnt stop him so I shot on the trot. Couldnt of done better, heartshot.
My first truly good buck, my first time really scouting and working for an animal, and my first deer using any kind of calling.
Still feeling the adrenaline from this morning and that was over 12 hours ago haha.
The pictures are in my thread "Hunting the Rut brag board" It wouldnt let me upload them both here and there.
Old November 18, 2011, 08:34 AM   #42
Tuzo

Lyme disease

Picher;

Sea Buck is correct. My brother is suffering severe Lyme disease with kidney and liver damage plus one year in a nursing home. Best cure is quick diagnosis and treatment.
Old November 20, 2011, 03:03 PM   #43
jersey joe

Georgia on my mind.

November 17 at 345PM. In the stand for only 45 minutes and this guy hopped out of a thicket to check on a food plot. Good lung shot at 80 yards and he managed about 100 yard before crashing behind me. Best for me for sure!
ohdeer.jpg
Old November 20, 2011, 06:07 PM   #44
Kreyzhorse

Nice deer Jersey Joe!
Old November 20, 2011, 08:55 PM   #45
30Cal

Rainy day in Kentucky. This one qualifies as epic here on my parents' farm.

Old November 21, 2011, 09:28 PM   #46
Kreyzhorse

Nice .30 Cal. How many points is that beast?
Old November 22, 2011, 07:41 AM   #47
30Cal

15 points.
Old November 22, 2011, 07:52 AM   #48
10Ringmagic

Congratulations to all of you successful hunters!

So far (since Nov. 15th) I have only seen doe's, six to be exact.

I have shot at two of them but missed, so much for shooting through the screen windows of my "Ameristep" tent blind. I have let the screens down for this last week of hunting.
Old November 22, 2011, 05:14 PM   #49
milky7272

Killed this year 212lbs my biggest ever.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2011DEER.jpg (236.4 KB, 122 views)
Old November 23, 2011, 08:13 AM   #50
shortwave

Beautiful trophies so far. Congrats to all.

If I'd take the time to learn how to post pics. I would post mine.

But you guys would laugh cause it would be a pics. of empty pockets.

Have passed several descent shooters waiting on a monster I've seen twice. He's still lurking around here as his tracks are not hard to spot.

Ohio's shotgun season opens next Monday(always 1st Mon. after Thanksgiving) and I suppose if he makes it passed the first 4-5 hrs of season, he'll go back to his nocturnal habits. Staying buried during the day in his favorite hiding spot thats got him as old/big as he is.

Have not given up on him by far for this year. I'll not use my 'either sex' tag for any other buck. If I don't get him, I'll shoot a doe instead.

Just hope if I don't get him, he hangs out around here till next year and gives me the enjoyment of hunting or at least seeing him again next year.