The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 12, 2011, 01:41 PM   #1
repins05

WTK #6 shot for ruffled grouse?

I have always used target loads (#8) for shooting grouse. Is #6 overkill for ruffled grouse? I am looking at purchasing a shotgun that only takes 3" shells. Thanks.
Old March 12, 2011, 01:49 PM   #2
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

It only takes 3" shells? What kind of shotgun is that? Most will take the 2 3/4" as well as the 3" and you can continue to use the same shells as you always have. I have shotguns with 3 and 3 !/2" chambers and I shoot mostly 2 3/4" in all of them, both pump action and semi auto.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old March 12, 2011, 01:57 PM   #3
buck460XVR

I have always preferred #6 for grouse. Better penetration thru leaves early in the season and 6s generally pass thru as opposed to 8s that stay in the body. Grouse are big enough that at most ranges #6s do not leave any holes in the pattern. I save the 7-1/2s and 8s for woodcock and doves.
Old March 12, 2011, 07:23 PM   #4
huntinaz

Quote:
It only takes 3" shells? What kind of shotgun is that? Most will take the 2 3/4" as well as the 3" and you can continue to use the same shells as you always have. I have shotguns with 3 and 3 !/2" chambers and I shoot mostly 2 3/4" in all of them, both pump action and semi auto.
Yeah, +1 on that.

I prefer #6 shot, better penetration. It seems like more birds hit the ground running with 7 1/2 and 8 shot.
Old March 13, 2011, 12:18 AM   #5
ACP230

I have been using sixes in my 20 gauge O/U for grouse for years.
Shot seven and a halfs for a while early on, but found sixes worked better.
Old March 13, 2011, 02:31 AM   #6
FrankenMauser

I run what I've got on hand (12 ga) - be that 6s, 7.5s, 8s, or even 9s (if the shot size and weight are legal for that species).

What I've got on hand consists of whatever I find for less than $5/box during the year. Sometimes, only 6s are on sale; sometimes it's something else.

(Win/Rem/Fed only, most of the time. I won't touch Estate or similar 'bulk' brands anymore. Had issues....).

However, I generally only hunt Ruffed and Blue grouse. The smaller bodies don't tolerate meat damage very well. In the terrain I encounter them, a 5 yard shot is a long one. The average shot range is, literally, 5 feet! I generally just try to clip the spine, half way between the head and body. It makes for quick, flail-less kills, and easy identification by any wardens that want to inspect the carcass. (Blow up/off heads don't go over well...)

At that range, with that type of shot; even the wad is lethal. Shot choice, so long as it's legal, doesn't matter much.

---I just wanted to add:
The terrain I hunt in is extremely dense woodland with marshy areas. There are no chances for shots on the wing; so it's a matter of spotting them before they flush, and getting close enough to not have to shoot through 12 shrubs and a dead tree. This presents the spine/neck shot opportunities on stationary birds.
Old March 13, 2011, 01:19 PM   #7
repins05

I should rephrase my question....... I am looking at the Browning Maxus semi auto shotgun. My friend has one and has told me it has issues cycling 2 3/4 light load shells like the 7 and 8 target loads.

It sounds like I should have been shooting 6 shot all of these years. I have always purchased the cheap target loads and never put any thought on it. I like the idea of better penetration through vegetation. If I am close I will just shoot for the head.

Just want to add.....I also hunt in very dense areas in western oregon. Sometimes jungle like. Generally there is no opportunity to shoot on the fly. I am looking at a semi auto shotgun for a multi use purpose grouse and geese.

Thanks for the help.
Old March 14, 2011, 07:00 PM   #8
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Your gun should handle the 2 3/4" shells just fine even the light target loads. My Mossberg M9200 will cycle anything I put in it from light loads of #9 to magnum loads of 00 but that is my gun. Your gun may or may not have the same issues as your friends gun. Your gun is advertised by Browning to be the most reliable of any and is supposed to handle the light loads as easily as the heavy loads. If it doesn't it's a factory problem or a dirty gun problem and I would suggest your friend have somebody take a look at his gun. Use what you got and enjoy.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old March 15, 2011, 07:53 AM   #9
jhog1

Quote:
It only takes 3" shells? What kind of shotgun is that? Most will take the 2 3/4" as well as the 3"
3" Model 1100's only shoot 3" shells...... I load 7 1/2's with BPI nickle plated shot this stuff goes through brush like it isn't even there.
Old March 15, 2011, 10:48 AM   #10
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Quote:
jhog1

Quote:
It only takes 3" shells? What kind of shotgun is that? Most will take the 2 3/4" as well as the 3"
3" Model 1100's only shoot 3" shells...... I load 7 1/2's with BPI nickle plated shot this stuff goes through brush like it isn't even there.
Yes but he has a Browning 5 and it will shoot any length shell, that is why I asked what kind of shotgun/barrel he had.

Funny thing about the Remington 1100 was that they were designed for the 2 3/4" shell then came out with a 3" Magnum barrel for 3" only but some would shoot 2 3/4" if they were heavy loads and some wouldn't. That was only a partial answer for those who wanted to be able to shoot either so they came out with the 11-87.
--Daniel Webster--
Old March 15, 2011, 11:37 AM   #11
tim s

A lot of this depends on where you hunt. Birds in close that hold are often going to get shredded by 6's and 7 1/2's and 8's have denser patterns. I'd try and remember why birds downed vs birds shot at tend to average 30%-40%. In fall i shoot 7 1/2's later in the season if birds don't flush close I'd use 7 1/2's in the 1st bbl 6's in the 2'nd.
Old March 15, 2011, 12:49 PM   #12
mwal

My brother has 2 Browning Maxus shotguns in 3 1/2 once broken in. He said they cycle all 2 3/4 1 oz and 1 1/8 loads for trap shooting. A high base #6 is a great grouse load and will cycle. The only gun I know of that says use 3 and 3 1/2 only shells is my Mossberg 935 it is designed for heavy goose and turkey loads.

Mwal
Old March 15, 2011, 01:38 PM   #13
shortwave

Quote:
3" Model 1100's only shoot 3" shells...
I've got an old Rem. 1100 Magnum capable of shooting 3" OR 2 3/4" just fine. When using it turkey hunting, I used to use nothing but 3" turkey loads but found that due to the terrain I hunted the 2 3/4" worked just as well as far as humane turkey kills. Only thing the 3" was doing was punishing the shooter, me. . It will also cycle 2 3/4" 'Gameloads' just fine.

Back on topic...

As a rule, IMO, the more dense the brush, the heavier the shot.
Old March 15, 2011, 03:33 PM   #14
markj

Quote:
3" Model 1100's only shoot 3" shells...
If you plug up the gas ports a tiny bit it will cycle the shorter shells, we used to go buy a 2 3/4 barrel and swap em out to shoot the shorter shells. They did make a small run of 1100s that would cycle both but I only have held one in my hands and it was old. My friend had it, his dad owned it and he got it after the dad died. He sold it after and I sure wish he would have offered it to me.