The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old March 15, 2010, 07:51 PM   #1
D.Nix

.22 Rimfire silhouette targets

Hello, I am looking for some info on target size, thickness, and range for metal silhouette. In the early 90's I used to go with my great uncle to .22 rimfire silhouette shoots here in Kansas, had a lot of fun and he even had a range at his house in the country to practice. He passed away in 1996 and everything he had was sold even the metal targets. The ones I am talking about are the chicken, pig, turkey, and ram. I would like to get some measurments or templates so I could make up some out of metal. also thickness and the ranges from each set of targets. Im thinking the chickens were 25 yards, the pigs 50 yards, the turkeys 75 yards and the rams were 100 yards. any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old March 15, 2010, 09:43 PM   #2
Imssu

Try the IHMSA website. www.ihmsa.org Under the heading "Target Drawings"

Last edited by Imssu; March 15, 2010 at 09:46 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
Old March 17, 2010, 09:18 PM   #3
D.Nix

Imssu,
Thanks for the link to ihmsa.org It has alot of usfull info.

D.Nix
Old April 6, 2010, 04:01 PM   #4
Hardcase

NRA smallbore ranges are: 40m, 60m, 77m, 100m. Yards are also acceptable if you don't have a meter stick around

Chickens are 1/4" to 1/2" thick, the rest are 1/4" thick. The bases that the sit on should measure 2"x4".

Here are the targets:

Ram, chicken: http://www.nrahq.org/compete/silhtgts/silhtar-09.pdf
Turkey, pig: http://www.nrahq.org/compete/silhtgts/silhtar-10.pdf

Now, if you don't want to go to all the trouble of making up steel targets, what we do is print out a bunch of full size animals ("full size" isn't all that big) and staple them to plywood or OSB backers, then stake them to the ground. They don't fall over, of course, but they work extremely well for observing shot placement.

At our range, we also have "swingers", which are steel targets, one of each animal, with chains attached to the top. The chain goes to a stand made out of rebar that is an upside down U with the legs in the ground. Painted black, you can see your shot placement and get a nice "ding" and a swing when you hit it.

Have fun!
Old May 1, 2010, 06:18 PM   #5
Tacoma

Just note that .22 rimfire targets come in two sizes. Larger for pistol and smaller for rifle. ALSO FWIW, There was also a guy on rimfirecentral that used to make either pretty reasonably.