The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 27, 2009, 10:13 PM   #1
awaveritt

Accuracy of RCBS 502 & Little Dandy

Bought a RCBS 502 which seems to calibrate well when weighing bullets of known nominal weight.

Bought RCBS Little Dandy and rotors #5 & #6

According to the 502 scale, my #5 rotor is only throwing 3 grains of Bullseye when the chart says 3.5 grains. The #6 rotor throws 3.6 grains when the chart says 3.7 grains (That one is close enough for the girls I go with)

Do I need to check the accuracy of my scale and can the rcbs #5 rotor be off by that much?

The little dandy is throwing Very consistent charges, just not what I expected from the #5 rotor.

Any advice?
Old January 28, 2009, 09:56 AM   #2
dlb435

What is published is just a guide. Your results may vary. The 502 is a very good scale so I would trust the reading. I've had a few fixed cylinder powder measures and they are usually fairly consistant. You may want to move up to the Uniflow to get better control.
Old January 28, 2009, 01:33 PM   #3
LHB1

I would trust a calibrated beam scale for charge weight. Charts for scoops and predrilled inserts/rotors/etc. are notorious for being off. None of those I tried over the years were correct but were usually close enough to be workable. ALWAYS use a scale to test/select an insert close to your desired charge weight.

Tags
powder rotors , scale accuracy