The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 16, 2009, 09:00 PM   #1
johnwilliamson062

HP bullet molds

I was buying a few molds today and i wanted to get some HP 357 molds. Checked my usual online retailers and did not find anything. Anyone want to explain. point out where I went wrong or why they are not available.
Old January 17, 2009, 12:13 AM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

A lot of them seem to have been dropped from production. I own an old Lee and, I think, a Lyman. Neither ever shot very accurately and neither is made now. Any tiny bit of slop caused by debris in the the mold throws the hollow off center.

Someone used to make a jig for drilling HP's into .22's. One could be made to be concentric for any sized cast bullet, but unless they are being sold somewhere currently, you will need some machining skills to make one.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old January 28, 2009, 11:52 AM   #3
johnwilliamson062

unclenick,
I did not subscribe to this thread so missed your reply. Thanks that will help me a lot. I know some decent machinists. Maybe if I pay materials they will agree to make two and keep one.