The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 10, 2006, 05:21 PM   #1
AMT8951

Help!!!

I've been tasked with teaching a class in "The History and Development of Police Firearms" at my local police academy. I have about 2wks to throw together a a 50 min presentation. The class will cover police weapons from the 1870's to present. It will mostly deal with patrol type weapons,( ie. pistols, revolvers, shotguns and a little on patrol carbunes), rather than SMG's, sniper rifles, and other "Exotic" Weapons. It will be geared towards police recurits who don't know a heck of a lot about guns.
Anyhow, I need a good, reliable, and legitimate on line source for firearms info. I also need a source for firearms photo's that aren't copy writed. I would greatly appreciate any help that can be provided.

P.S. I'll also probably have some pretty specific firearms related questions that I'll need answered by my fellow forum members in the near future.
RIA Midsize .45acp
Glock 21
Olympic Arms M4
Win M70 .375 H&H
FN PBR .308
Win M69A .22
Mini-14
Ithica M37 Deerslayer 12ga
Remington 721 30/06
Old January 10, 2006, 05:31 PM   #2
mete

You might include information about Teddy Roosevelt who standardized Police in NYC. That included a weapon and exams instead of political appointees.Don't have a website.
Old January 10, 2006, 05:33 PM   #3
matthew temkin

The History Channel has a series, TALES OF THE GUN, and one of the eposides is the history of police guns.
Trooper Mike Conti of the Mass.State Police is on it quite a bit, and they do a great job.
It is probably sold on it's website.
Old January 10, 2006, 05:35 PM   #4
Blackwater OPS

This is a great place to start for the info. Otherwise google is you friend. for pictures try securityarms.com, this site google image and manufacturers websites.
-Ben Franklin

Spc. Jeremy M. Campbell
Died 9/1/2005
and the best DS ever
MSG Matthew Ritz
Died 11.23.2005
matthewritz.com

For those who have had to fight for it, Life holds a special meaning that the protected will never know.

(\__/)
(='.'=) Someone set us up the bunny!
(")_(")
Old January 10, 2006, 05:38 PM   #5
almark

Mike Irwin on this board seems to know a heckuva lot about guns, and he could probably suggest a book or two for you... may wanna PM him.

Any chance you'd wanna share the presentation with TFL when you're finished? Sounds like it would be interesting!
Old January 10, 2006, 05:45 PM   #6
CabinJohn

Try the NRA?

You might want to send an email to the NRA... ask them what they have on file.

IACP doesn't seem to have anything on their web site, but I know they have a lot of publications available that are not listed either. You may want to try them.

Also, send an email to Smith & Wesson. Somebody there must have most of the information you are looking for.

Good Luck. (If you were looking for the History of [photo] Identification, I could be of more help).
Old January 11, 2006, 01:20 AM   #7
Mike Irwin
Staff

I can't help you with the photographs...

Starting out in the 1870s and right up through the first decade or two of the 20th century there would have been a wide variety of handguns that would have been used.

Few police forces were armed wholesale during that time, so it would have been up to the individual officer to arm himself.

You would have seen a wide variety of both cap and ball (Wild Bill Hickock carried a pair of Colt Navy .36s) and Smith & Wesson, Colt, Merwin & Hulbert, and other makers all the way from pocket guns up to the full-size Peacemaker and Schofield type guns.

In the 20th century up through to the 1970s the story was really about two companies, Smith & Wesson and Colt, which owned probably 75% or more of the American police market, with he vast majority of police handguns being revolvers.

After World War II Colt largely surrendered the civilian market to Smith & Wesson, so by the 1970s relatively few police forces were arming their people with Colt revolvers.

By the end of the 1970s the "Wonder 9" cycle had started. Colt didn't have a single entry, and Smith & Wesson had their 39/59 semi-autos, but the lion's share of the new market for police semi-autos started going to companies like Sig, Beretta, and Glock.

Today, the police force that carries a revolver is largely an oddity.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 11, 2006, 09:45 AM   #8
Mikeyboy

+1 on the history channel "Tales of the Gun' Series. Try doing seraches with Colt, S&W, Remington (the 870 shotgun, and the model 700 rifle) Glock and Beretta and the word police. 50 Minute presentation???....man that's long.