The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old June 30, 2016, 09:00 PM   #1
GunMaverick

Paraguay Gun Laws

Hi all,

Not very American, I know. I was reading an article the other day about how Switzerland and Paraguay had some gun laws akin to those of the USA. How close to the 2A are they? I apologize for my non patriotism, and ignorance to other countries gun laws in advance...

GunMaverick
Old June 30, 2016, 09:10 PM   #2
Reloader54

I don't know about the Gun laws of Paraguay. But in Switzerland all of the citizens are in the military from the age of 18 to if I remember correctly 35 or 40. And they all have firearms that are given to them by the government to keep in their homes. And they also have to do training with them atleast once a month if not more I believe. But I might be wrong. Israel also has all citizens both male and female serve in the military for the same age's as well.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Old June 30, 2016, 10:15 PM   #3
rwilson452

As I recall the Swiss were thinking of changing the law about letting the soldiers keep the select fire firearms at home. That was met with a great deal of resistance. Then they were thinking of restricting the amount of ammo they could keep at home. Yes, you can find many shootsenfest (SP?) going on every weekend. The Swiss take their marksmanship very seriously.
Old July 1, 2016, 11:56 AM   #4
DaleA

Unbelievably and anti-gun person told me the Swiss guns and ammo that they keep at home are only for military use. The ammo is in a sealed container (I get that) and the guns are secured with a zip tie or something so they cannot be used.

???

Yeah, they cannot be used unless the person opens the ammo container and snips the tie on the gun...I think the Swiss person might be in a bit of trouble if he shows up at the next meeting with the tie on his gun busted or the ammo unsealed but this would be an admin thing and certainly would not prevent an unhinged Swiss person (but are there any of those?) from going on a rampage.

Still the anti-gun person pointed to the zip tie and sealed ammo container to dismiss the FACT that a lot of Swiss have access to a lot of firepower. Sigh. It's just not worth it to argue with most of those folk.
Old July 1, 2016, 12:58 PM   #5
JERRYS.

the government letting you (age restricted) keep a gun in your home is nothing like American.

let me know when you find a country were a little old retired nurse lady of 65, a pizza delivery college grad of 21, a laid off factory worker of 35, a 28 year old house wife with no college..... can carry a handgun for self defense.
Old July 1, 2016, 02:15 PM   #6
T. O'Heir

"...let me know when you find a country were..." Should read "another country".
"...Swiss guns and ammo that they keep at home are only for military use..." They are.
"...secured with a zip tie..." That'll hold 'em. Geezuz. Like nobody in Switzerland has a Swiss Army knife. snicker.
Quick net search shows:
http://www.gunpolicy.org/firearms/region/paraguay (not 100% convinced this site is accurate. They misspell the word Ordnance as Ordinance)
"In Paraguay, the right to private gun ownership is not guaranteed by law.";
In Paraguay, civilians are not allowed to possess weapons intended for the exclusive use of state agencies for defence and security, automatic firearms, shotguns with a barrel of less than 470 mm, hand-made firearms, imitation or disguised firearms, and certain types of ammunition.";
"In Paraguay, private possession of fully automatic weapons is prohibited.";
"In Paraguay, civilian possession of rifles and shotguns is regulated by law.";
In Paraguay, only licensed gun owners may lawfully acquire, possess or transfer a firearm or ammunition.";
"Applicants for a gun owner’s licence in Paraguay are required to establish a genuine reason to possess a firearm, for example self-defence, collection or sport.";
"The minimum age for gun ownership in Paraguay is 22 years.";
"An applicant for a firearm licence in Paraguay must pass a background check which considers criminal and mental health records.";
In Paraguay, the law requires that a record of the acquisition, possession and transfer of each privately held firearm be retained in an official register."
And for Switzerland.
"In Switzerland, the right to private gun ownership is not guaranteed by law.";
"In Switzerland, civilians are not allowed to possess automatic firearms, some automatic firearms converted into semi-automatic firearms, incendiary or armour-piercing ammunition, and 'expansive projectiles for handguns'.";
"In Switzerland, private possession of fully automatic weapons is prohibited.";
No more military issue ammo at home either. Some militias guy went nuts and shot up a regional Parliament in 2001. Issue ammo locked in a government arsenal since 2008.
Old July 1, 2016, 02:25 PM   #7
FITASC

Australia WAS the closest to us; now, IMO, NZ is.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old July 1, 2016, 02:53 PM   #8
JERRYS.

it is possible that the Czech republic is the closest to America with gun "rights". I don't think any other country comes as close to us as the Czechs.
Old July 1, 2016, 05:04 PM   #9
FITASC

Paraguay has great dove and pigeon shooting as does Uruguay
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old July 1, 2016, 10:34 PM   #10
GunMaverick

Prompt responses as always guys. That answers my question. Sorry for the in American post...

GunMaverick
Old July 3, 2016, 09:08 AM   #11
benEzra

Quote:
Unbelievably and anti-gun person told me the Swiss guns and ammo that they keep at home are only for military use. The ammo is in a sealed container (I get that) and the guns are secured with a zip tie or something so they cannot be used.
A lot of gun control advocates confuse the Swiss practice of storing military-issue full autos and ammo in homes with Swiss gun ownership in general. Swiss are allowed to own semiautos and pistols, and Switzerland has a thriving civilian gun culture completely separate from the issue of home storage of issue weapons and ammo. And yes, the military tracks its issue ammo just like the U.S. military does, but that does not mean that Swiss citizens can't purchase ammo themselves to keep/shoot just like we can.