The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 21, 2018, 02:53 PM   #1
Wendyj

Thompson Center Pro Hunter

I really want one of these and found a used synthetic in 25-06. I reload for everything I shoot. Reading all I can it appears to be a finicky rifle E Arthur Brown has actions cleaned up and trigger jobs. Most local smiths here don’t do trigger jobs on the TC. Is buying this used a mistake for a moa rifle?
Old January 21, 2018, 03:16 PM   #2
Ruga Booga

Bellm #3 spring kit makes for a very nice trigger
Old January 21, 2018, 03:29 PM   #3
Wendyj

I probably couldn’t install a trigger spring unless you tube has video of how. I only like the fact that there are hunting barrels and bull barrels available. Gun feels great off hand. Forend not too wide. Balanced out well. Factory trigger has to be 5-7 lbs from feel. Brown has the hinge pins that tighten with ALAN screws. No oversized pins I read. No free floatingbarrel either. Hard to reload for I read. Graybeard forums has a lot of love and hate for these. Don’t believe everything I read over there but been treated well here.
Old January 21, 2018, 05:34 PM   #4
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
Reading all I can it appears to be a finicky rifle
I don't really like mine, but I wouldn't say it is finicky. My frame is an regular stainless Encore. I bought mine used and the trigger is nice and crisp with a reasonable weight. Not sure if there was work done before I bought it or not. I haven't had any trouble with it shooting any of the ammo I put into it. I had a 460 barrel that was not at all accurate, but that is a known issue with the twist rate on factory barrels. For everything else I was able to find a couple factory loads that shot well.

Best sources of info are TCencoreclassifieds forum and specialty pistols forum.

MGM and Mike BellM barrels are preferred by most of the people that are big into them. BellM buys blanks from MGM and does the crown and chamber work as I understand it. I was happy with service from BellM
Ed at Ed's contenders can usually get an MGM barrel for less than they sell on their site. I was really happy with my dealings with him.

All that said I have never been convinced it was cost effective in comparison to a regular rifle in each caliber unless the shooter wants to shoot odd ball cartridges that aren't commonly available in factory rifles at a finish similar to an encore. If you read on those sites you will see many who really like them have a dedicated frame for each barrel they shoot often and one they switch a lot for the calibers they don't shoot regularly. Pretty expensive at that point for a rifle that isn't too pretty.

I have had to call once for parts since TC was bought out. It seems they didn't keep many of the employees when they moved the machines and no one in the CS department knew anything about them. That has been a while, but it was frustrating. E Arthur, Ed's contenders, and Bellm will help you out though.

Last edited by johnwilliamson062; January 21, 2018 at 05:41 PM.
Old January 21, 2018, 06:25 PM   #5
Wendyj

It would seem a barrel and scope in an accurate rifle would be cheaper but I could be wrong. I was thinking of a 264 and a 35 whelen for the husband. Eabco barrels were pricey but if accuracy was there I would consider it. Just for the 25-06 it comes in a bolt would be a lot cheaper. Lots of calibers to choose from.
Old January 21, 2018, 06:32 PM   #6
NoSecondBest

I have two frames for the Encore Pro Hunter. I've found that the MGM barrels will shoot very, very well in about any caliber. The "down side" might be that is some really hard kicking calibers (45-70...I had one) the gun is too light. In the case of the 45-70 it was pretty nasty even with Trapdoor loads. My .357max bbl will shoot five shots under an inch at 100yds. The barrels aren't cheap, right around four hundred in blue and a bit more in stainless. They you have to ad a scope to the barrel. If you like the guns (I do) I guess it worth it. If you're not crazy about them, they're a bit expensive all things considered. All in all, they shoot good for what they are.
Old January 21, 2018, 06:39 PM   #7
Wendyj

Have you lost zero after swapping barrels or are you using dedicated action for each one?
Old January 21, 2018, 07:05 PM   #8
Goatwhiskers

Theoretically you shouldn't lose zero as you have one scope mounted on and zeroed to one barrel. I have had excellent luck reading an alignment tool grid closely thru one scope, then changing out the scope and putting the crosshairs on exactly the same coordinates. I still fire one or two to be sure. GW
Old January 21, 2018, 08:11 PM   #9
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
The "down side" might be that is some really hard kicking calibers (45-70...I had one) the gun is too light. In the case of the 45-70 it was pretty nasty even with Trapdoor loads.
For actual hunting this wasn't an issue(1 or 2 shots). For testing loads and zeroing at range it was unpleasant.
Quote:
Have you lost zero after swapping barrels or are you using dedicated action for each one?
The sights re entirely on the barrel, so it shouldn't be an issue, but...
When a scoped barrel is off the frame the scope seems to be much more exposed than when mounted. I only scope my deer hunting rifles. My others I store all year in the safe and when I check at the range they are still zeroed. With the scoped barrels that never seems to be the case.
The scope often sticks out past the barrel
Easy for them to take bumps like that.
I have settled on 357 max and plan to put a scout scope on at some point. In the long term I hope to get a Ruger number one re-chambered or a Henry single shot.
Old January 22, 2018, 09:59 AM   #10
NoSecondBest

Quote:
No, the zero stays the same. Remember, the scope goes with the barrel. If you have a good tight (fitted) hinge pin like the one Mike Bellm sells, it keeps everything tightly in place. That pin and a forearm on a hanger will get the most out of the gun as far as accuracy goes. Most accuracy problems with the Encore can be traced to a loose hinge pin and a standard factory forearm. If anyone is in doubt about the forearms effect on accuracy, simiply shoot the gun with the forearm off and compare it to when the forearm is put on. It can make a very significant difference.
Old January 22, 2018, 01:05 PM   #11
Damon555

They are no more finicky than any other rifle in my experience. I've got a Pro hunter with 204, 223 and 7mm-08 barrels and they were all quite accurate from the get go.....made even better shooting reloads.

Luckily my local gunsmith was familiar with TC single shot triggers. The trigger job he performed on my Pro hunter was pure magic. Contrary to popular belief these triggers can be made very, very nice. The trigger is the only modification that has been made to my PH frame. There are other accurizing products out there for these but I've seen no need to spend the extra money on them.