The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 27, 2017, 06:09 PM   #1
HighValleyRanch

81 year old Colt, 1" groups!

Just got this Colt Official Police back from my father. I gave it to him years ago for Christmas, but he's gotten too old to shoot any more, so now it's home again.

Took it down to my field and shot a few rounds to confirm the sights and wow, I forgot how good this one shoots. Six rounds all single action, two handed standing, from various distances into a 1" group. One at five yard, one at seven yards, two at 10 yards, one at 12 yards and one at 13 yards. The load was factory CCI Blazer 158 grain fmj. Sights appear to be right on, holding center hold.

This OP is from 1937 and in excellent condition.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04707.JPG (57.4 KB, 783 views)
Old December 27, 2017, 08:20 PM   #2
arquebus357

I'm also 81. That Colt is a crapload prettier than I am.
Old December 27, 2017, 08:47 PM   #3
Pathfinder45

That's a handsome revolver. That being said, I always recommend a six-shot group, (Because is has six chambers, right?), all fired at 25 yards. I'd like to see that target.
Old December 27, 2017, 08:50 PM   #4
HighValleyRanch

there are six shots, two went through the bottom hole. That was the last shot at 13 yards.
Yeah, a 1" group at 25 yards would be more impressive but that' better than I can shoot off hand these days!

I was more happy that the sights are right on, though.
Old December 27, 2017, 09:35 PM   #5
Slamfire

That's pretty darn good, and that's a pretty darn good pistol. Colt revolvers were always accurate, as long as the timing is OK.

A two time Bullseye National Champion and many time PPC National Champ told me that Colt barrels were more accurate than S&W, because they were tighter. He mentioned that shooters would rebarrel their S&W revolvers with Colt barrels, called them Smoults. The basic problem with Colt revolvers is that they would go out of time before the S&W's, but the barrel were tighter and shot better 38 Special groups.

If you want an excellent 38 Special load with 158's, try 3.5 grains Bullseye with a 158 LRN bullet. The 38 Special target load was a 148 LSWC with 2.7 grains Bullseye. That load is accurate all the way out to 50 yards, even though it is slow.
Old December 28, 2017, 06:30 AM   #6
mk70ss

Very nice! Love the old Colts!
Old December 28, 2017, 06:39 AM   #7
Don P

Quote:
Took it down to my field and shot a few rounds to confirm the sights and wow
Quote:
I was more happy that the sights are right on, though
From the picture it appears it would be quit the feat to have the sights not be right on. Other than the front sight being bent over not much to miss-align
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old December 28, 2017, 06:59 AM   #8
Eddietruett

I have a 1953 Colt Model 357 that will shoot 1-1.5” groups at 25 yards using 148gr HBWC loaded with 3gr Bullseye, but I have to use a rest. Not nearly as stable as I was 40 years ago. I can also consistently ring a 6” gong at 75 yards using 158gr Berry’s Plated Target HP with 7.5gr HS-6 obviously off a rest as well. Blows my mind how well these old timers shoot. The best part is the weird looks you get at the range when you pull an old gun out and even more surprised look when they see your targets
Old December 28, 2017, 08:58 AM   #9
Mike Irwin
Staff

I have a number of Colt & S&W handguns that are of the same approximate age, and all give excellent accuracy.

They knew how to make gun back then, and it's a great thing that time does little to degrade the accuracy potential.

My 4" Regulation Police in .32 Long in front, and my .38 M&P behind it. The RP is from about 1920, and the M&P, as best I can figure, from about 1925.

My Colt Police Positive in .32 New Police (.32 Long). The serial number puts it in the 1935 range, I think or a contemporary of yours.

I also have both an S&W M&P and a Colt Police Positive Special, both in .32-20, that are from around the same time.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old December 28, 2017, 10:32 AM   #10
HighValleyRanch

Mike, what is the difference between the police positive and the police positive special?
I like those!
Old December 28, 2017, 11:02 AM   #11
Mike Irwin
Staff

The Police Positive was a smaller frame that was chambered for rounds like the .32 Colt, the .32 New Police (.32 S&W Long) and the .38 New Police (Colt's version of the .38 S&W).

The Police Positive Special had a larger frame that allowed it to chamber longer cartridges, including the .32-20 and the .38 Special.

This Wikipedia article gives you more details.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colt_P...sitive_Special

Old December 28, 2017, 12:08 PM   #12
HighValleyRanch

the Official Police was one of the best gun deals I ever got.
350.00 from a local gun shop in pristine condition!
I could not get my money out fast enough especially here in regulated California.
Old December 28, 2017, 12:09 PM   #13
joed

Nice gun. Makes me feel good that it still shoots that well. I have a Colt Officers Official Target in .22 rf from 1930, first year made in that chambering. It does just as well though I don't have a target to post.

Old December 28, 2017, 12:19 PM   #14
Mike Irwin
Staff

My Official Police is a relative youngster, made in 1969.

I picked it up for... I want to say $375.... at a gunshow a couple of years ago.

Well holster worn, but precise lock up and an incredible trigger action.

Old December 28, 2017, 03:08 PM   #15
SIGSHR

An Officer's Official Target/Model Match is an OP with target sights,and it ruled the ranges for years.
Old December 29, 2017, 10:40 PM   #16
joed

Quote:
An Officer's Official Target/Model Match is an OP with target sights,and it ruled the ranges for years.
I can believe that. I have only shot bulk ammo out of mine and it shoots excellent. In fact it made my S&W model 17 look like a shotgun, so I sold it.

Have wanted to try some match .22 out of it but it was not easy to find. I now have some but I need the temps to get out of the teens.
Old December 31, 2017, 05:55 PM   #17
rodfac

Great find High Valley...looks like a shooter, with that group, and in superb condition as well!

Mike, I've got the stable mates to your Police Positive, one each in .38 New Police and the other in .32 New Police. The first was an uncle's carry piece as a gate guard for Bethleham Steel in Buffalo and I received it with 3/4 of a box of original .38 New Police loads.

The bullet, with that flat meplat, looks a bit more effective than the S&W version, though both shoot nicely through the gun. Recently, I gave it a try with the original loads, wanting the brass for reloading. SA in a Weaver Stance & from the 10 yd line on my home range, it printed 5 in a tight cluster, centered a precisely my POA; and the group measured a scant 3/4". I couldn't do better if the lives of my grand daughters were on the line with any hand gun I own.

That .38 Colt is in about 80% condition, with grips that are worn fairly smooth on the left side, (uncle Bill was right handed), and the muzzle is similarly worn. I've got replacements for the stocks, but don't have the heart to put them on. It just looks right with the originals in place.

I bought the .32 at a Louisville gun show for $100 back in '97 and have shot it some...certainly not enough though. Lyman's excellent 313249, cast from wheel weights and sized 0.313" does well with minimal doses of Winchester 231...groups running under 4" at 25 yds. But the real winner is Lyman's 311008, cast and sized the same and with a starting load of Win 231. That combination with well blackened sights will put 5 into 2.5" at 25. It throws a cpl inches to the left for me, but the groups at superb.

Fun guns, for sure and well worth the effort to get 'em up and shooting again.

Best regards, and a Happy New Year to all of you TFL people. Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old December 31, 2017, 05:58 PM   #18
HighValleyRanch

I wish someone could post a photo of a police positive next to an Official police so I can see how much smaller it is. Is it like a J frame next to an K frame Smith?
Old December 31, 2017, 06:02 PM   #19
rodfac

I'd do it for you High Valley, but all of my pic posting abilities went the way of the dodo when Photobucket started charging almost $500 to 3rd party post. Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old December 31, 2017, 06:30 PM   #20
HighValleyRanch

Rod, you can upload a photo directly to the forum as long as it is smaller than 150 kb.
In pixel size that is about 800 pixels wide.
On the advance post reply page, choose manage attachments, and upload directly from your computer. It will then show up as an attachment. Click on the attachment and that will bring up a window showint the attachement. Go up to the URL and copy it, go back to the post page and then click on the image icon and paste in the forum URL and there you go!

Or PM me for my email, email me a photo and I can post it for you.
Old January 1, 2018, 08:58 AM   #21
Mike Irwin
Staff

If I have time today I'll pull together a family picture of my Police Positive, my Police Positive Special, and my Official Police.

Old January 1, 2018, 02:31 PM   #22
rodfac

Thx High, I'll give it a try...I'm 71 now, but mentally, still in 1964...if you get my meaning. Rod
Old January 1, 2018, 04:26 PM   #23
rclark

Quote:
I'd do it for you High Valley, but all of my pic posting abilities went the way of the dodo when Photobucket started charging almost $500 to 3rd party post. Rod
I removed my account as well from Photobucket. Haven't found a suitable, easy to use alternate site yet.... So no pics from me either (on all the gun sites I frequent).

Looks like the o' Colt shoots pretty well. Need to get it out there a bit more, say 20 yards though for a true test ha!
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old January 1, 2018, 04:52 PM   #24
boa2

I have a late 1926 Colt Army Special which was the year before Colt had renamed it the Official Police. It is in 99% condition but although I haven't shot it yet, the original owner told me that back in the day his grandfather had won the majority of the Police .38 Special pistol matches with this revolver. But like others, I had to dump Photobucket and I also haven't found a suitable picture host.