The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 5, 2015, 03:00 PM   #1
Bake

Drumroll please!!!

I have totaled up the results of my silly little polls entitled "best all-around-shotgun"

1. Most popular gauge was the 12 gauge (no surprise there).

2. Most popular barrel length was 28 inches.

3. Most popular action was the pump ( some surprise there, the semi was a close second).

4. Most popular brand was the Mossberg (if you are going to shoot the Moss'y, shoot the 500).

5. Most popular model was the Wingmaster ( some surprise there).

What does this all mean, besides having too much time on my hands, since I retired. It also means when you tell a new shooter to shoot 12ga., you're not wrong. When someone wants to know which barrel to get, 28" is a good answer. The pump is a good choice for "All-Around-Shotgun", and the semi is a good second choice. The Mossberg 500, is a great shotgun, but a lot of shooters like the Wingmaster.

Now let the -CENSORED--CENSORED-- and moaning begin.
Old September 5, 2015, 04:21 PM   #2
FITASC

It means too many here have no appreciation for the finer things a shotgun can do and only look at it as some HD/SD zombie gun.

Do the same on a true shotgun forum (and there are several) and the results will be 180 degrees from the ones here................

(Flame suit and tinfoil hat on)
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old September 5, 2015, 05:09 PM   #3
BigJimP

If you were to poll.... 500 shooters....( that shoot registered targets - for Skeet or Sporting Clays )....the results would be very different as well ...( and 30" barrels on O/U's would dominate ) ....

If you were to poll .. 500 shooters...( that shoot registered Trap )...the results would lean toward 32" barrels in O/U's or maybe 34" barrel on a break open single barrel.

But 30" barrels on an O/U give the gun approximately the same overall length as a pump or semi-auto with 28" barrels - because the action on a pump or semi auto are longer.

Not that most registered target shooters - don't have a lot of pump guns around...that we still shoot once in a while...( they just aren't the Tournament guns we would pick in our first 3 or 4 choices, in my opinion !! )....and since FITASC has already put his tin foil hat and flame suit on...I'll bring the marshmallows.../ but he's right...
Old September 6, 2015, 11:46 AM   #4
upstate81

Average shotgunners shoot backyard trap and hunt. Most dont have 2 grand plus for a double. I think its accurate.
Old September 6, 2015, 12:15 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

Barrel length is a big deal with many shooters, it is relatively unimportant unless a very short barrel is desired for concealment or home defense.

I one had a man come in the store and tell me that he couldn't hit any birds with his 28" barrel and wanted to know what a 30" barrel would do for him. I responded that it would put the end of his barrel 2 inches closer to the duck. He got mad and walked out, and the boss gave me heck for losing the sale of the longer barrel. But I spoke the truth; an extra 2 inches of barrel was not going to make that man a good shot.

Jim
Old September 6, 2015, 12:26 PM   #6
Virginian

Quote:
I one had a man come in the store and tell me that he couldn't hit any birds with his 28" barrel and wanted to know what a 30" barrel would do for him. I responded that it would put the end of his barrel 2 inches closer to the duck. He got mad and walked out, and the boss gave me heck for losing the sale of the longer barrel. But I spoke the truth; an extra 2 inches of barrel was not going to make that man a good shot.
Very true. I believe barrel length among target shooters is a lot "fad" too. 'Pygmalion' effect. If you think a 32" barrel smooths out your swing, it probably will.
Old September 6, 2015, 02:31 PM   #7
BigJimP

Confidence is important in shooting clays or live birds....and if barrel length is part of it, so what...shoot whatever makes you feel the most confident.

But most "registered" target shooters will tell you - that with a lighter gun, a longer barrel - to some point, not to the point where the gun becomes nose heavy - that the longer barrel gives you a longer sight plane on the light gun - and it helps smooth out your swing, especially on follow thru ....over being too "whippy"....where shooters tend to "swat" at targets, which is not a good thing.

But the right combination of weight, overall length ( and that includes barrel length ) --- and comb dimensions ( drop at heel, drop at comb and length of pull ) ...all optimize the combination of things that mean the gun "fits" you..
--------------
But yes, among casual shooters and bird hunters...the pump gun is affordable, reliable and very popular.
Old September 6, 2015, 03:35 PM   #8
FITASC

Quote:
Average shotgunners shoot backyard trap and hunt. Most dont have 2 grand plus for a double. I think its accurate.
That would be incorrect - most busy gun clubs throw 2-3 million targets a year; doubt your backyard folks even come closer

And 2 grand for a double doesn't buy you much..................
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa