The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 22, 2015, 09:55 AM   #1
SARuger

Sporting clays, use my 1100 or my 11-87?

Or 870?

I'm going Friday to shoot a round and I will probably take all three and stick them on the golfcart to try but for those that shoot sporting clays a lot what would you choose out of the three.

I generally use the 870 for 5 stand and the 11-87 has seen the skeet range once. I just picked up the 1100 with the Cutts Compensator choke system on it.

All are 20 gauge
Old April 22, 2015, 10:24 AM   #2
FITASC

Which one do YOU have the most confidence in?
Is this some form of tournament or just for grins and giggles?

Personally, I shoot tournaments and I use a LM in a 12 for 90-95% of the targets I see. If you are going to shoot for some fun or at a charity/fundraiser type where the targets are softer, use your IC and go have fun,
Do NOT worry about your score (whether good or bad) - just focus solely on the targets and the fun will follow.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old April 22, 2015, 01:05 PM   #3
BigJimP

Whichever semi-auto you feel fits you the best - and like Fitasc says, that you have the most confidence in. I would not go with a pump gun as a new shooter to sporting clays / a pump is a serious disadvantage unless you are an expert with the pump - and can operate the pump while the gun remains in your shoulder. If you have to drop the gun down..and operate the pump -- and remount you'll probably be way late on a "True Pair".

With a 20ga....I'd shoot 7/8 oz of 8's...and a Mod choke 75% of the time or more....( I would not take all 3 guns ).

Like FITASC, I also shoot a 12ga ....usually an Over Under so I can put different chokes in one barrel or the other....but I often start with a pair of Mod in the gun ( and carry Skeet, IC, Imp Mod and Full chokes )...but I don't change them too often. 99% of the time, in 12ga, I will shoot 1oz of 8's at around 1225 fps....( I don't fuss with 9's or 7 1/2's...) / but part of the fun of Sporting Clays...is no two courses are the same...and no course is the same month to month....machines are constantly being reset...target presentations are constantly being change...and kill ranges on any given target will often vary between 15 yds ....and 40 yds.../ there are different sizes of targets, etc.....( some courses I know all I'll need is an Imp Cylinder choke all day / some courses I know I'll need a Full in one barrel on 4 out of 15 stations...because I know the way the "target setter" thinks )....
Old April 22, 2015, 01:30 PM   #4
SARuger

Great responses! I will take the 870 just in case I shoot some trap but I'm thinking the 1100 with the mod choke but it is a new gun to me so I'm not sure what I have. I used the 11-87 two weekends ago and was okay with it on the skeet range, 15 out of 25, not great. Something about that 11-87 doesn't fit me right. My 1100 is identical to my 870 in pull and comb. Both are "X" models and of the same vintage. I'm deadly with that old 870

But I realize getting a "pair" would not be easy for me.

This 1100 has the Cutts Compensator choke system with three choices, spreader, mod and full.

My 11-87 has the same choices with screw in chokes, skeet, mod, imp c. I need a few more chokes for that gun.

I have every Tru-Choke made for the 870, I had Mike Orlin do that work for me.
Old April 22, 2015, 01:44 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

Sporting clays is practical practice for hunting vs a shooting sport like skeet and trap. It is rapidly becoming another of those though. Any of your shotguns will do.
Old April 22, 2015, 03:59 PM   #6
FITASC

Quote:
My 11-87 has the same choices with screw in chokes, skeet, mod, imp c. I need a few more chokes for that gun.
Not really, the SK for skeet, and the IC or M for everything else
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old April 22, 2015, 04:37 PM   #7
Bake

I've only shot, Sporting Clays a few times, and only at 2 different ranges, but at each range we were able to break the pairs up into singles. Maybe you could speak to the range master, and he could help you out.

If you use your 870 for 5 Stand, you can shoot anything, any where...
Old April 22, 2015, 04:50 PM   #8
Virginian

The 11-87, being built on the 28 gauge sized receiver, will likely handle a bit faster, but the fit should be the same. I shoot my LT 20 Model 1100 95% of the time these days; just points like a magic wand for me. If I am going to shoot a 20 I want a 20 sized gun. I abhor all muzzle mounted choke "devices". They work; just a personal fetish. I had one 55 years ago and that was more than enough.
I'm not going to go digging now, but an 870 Wingmaster used to have 1-5/8" DAC and 2-1/2" DAH, where an 1100 had 1-1/2" DAC and 2-1/2" DAH, both had an LOP of 14". I have been able to swap back and forth with no issues for 41 years now.
Old April 22, 2015, 07:48 PM   #9
FITASC

Quote:
The 11-87, being built on the 28 gauge sized receiver,
HUH?

Since when did Remington EVER build a 28 scale receiver? As someone who owned the 1100 28 gauge sporting - that was built on a 20 gauge sized receiver - I am politely calling bs on that................
Old April 22, 2015, 07:57 PM   #10
Bake

typo maybe guess not

Last edited by Bake; April 23, 2015 at 08:49 AM.
Old April 22, 2015, 08:23 PM   #11
SARuger

My 1100 and 870 20ga are both "X" models built on the 12ga receiver.

To clarify, my 870 is more of a trap gun and I used it on 5 stand with limited success. I'm very familiar with this gun, even though I have had it for a short time, since I had one identical to it for years then sold it for some reason. I feel at home shooting it.

My 11-87 is new and I'm not use to it. It is a "field gun". It does not point well for me.

My new to me old 1100 is a mystery yet. I will try it out this week.
Old April 22, 2015, 08:37 PM   #12
Virginian

NOT BS. ALL 20 gauge 11-87s, and LW 20, and LT 20 Model 1100s are built on the 28 gauge size receiver. Remington introduced the 28 gauge and .410 gauge Model 1100s, on the smaller receiver, in 1969. Initially they were only available as Matched Pairs. The same size receiver is still in use. In 1970, they introduced the Model 1100 LW 20 gauge on the same size receiver. In 1977 the LT 20 replaced the LW 20. Remington was considering making a dedicated size receiver for the 20, but decided to try it on the 28 gauge receiver, since it is all machined forged steel. The rest is history.
P.S - I have a 1970 28 gauge Model 1100 Skeet with the mahogany stock set, ordered not too long after learning they were available singly and not just as Matched Pairs. It has been fitted with Briley choke tubes.

Last edited by Virginian; April 22, 2015 at 08:45 PM.
Old April 24, 2015, 08:17 PM   #13
SARuger

I shot three rounds of wobble trap today with this 1100. I really like this gun, it fits me and I point it good. I like the Cutts Compensator/choke system. This gun has no kick!

The lady that owns the range is a 5 time world champ and former Virginia Tech clays team coach and she pulled for me and taught me a whole lot about busting clays. I got better and better with each round and got my best round at 19/25.

I'm going back to shoot clays soon. Nice place!

Summit Springs
Old April 24, 2015, 08:28 PM   #14
Virginian

If you got help from a Hokie you done good. I is one, too.
Old April 24, 2015, 08:32 PM   #15
SARuger

My oldest son is a VT grad, my middle son is there now, made the deans list last semester. My youngest wants to go there too.
Old April 25, 2015, 03:42 AM   #16
Virginian

Both mine went there as well. I think they got more of my money than anyone but the U.S. Government and WalMart.
Old April 25, 2015, 09:41 AM   #17
SARuger

My boys pay their own way. No way my mechanics salary can help much.
Old April 25, 2015, 05:16 PM   #18
Shotgun Slim

Boys would it be bragging if I told you that my daughter was the best shooter on the VT clay target team while she was there? Twice Va ladies champ at the state shoot! Best days of my life were going to registered shoots (trap) with her and friends-I'm still smiling about that. She loved every minute of her time at Tech. She's raising two little ones now and it will fall to me to teach them how to shoot. Looking forward to that gets me out of bed these days.
Old April 25, 2015, 07:41 PM   #19
Virginian

Relaying facts is not bragging.
Old April 25, 2015, 07:50 PM   #20
SARuger

Slim, that is awesome! No its not bragging at all!

Go Hokies!!!
Old April 26, 2015, 05:30 AM   #21
eastbank

i have a rem 1100 sporting in 28ga and it seems to be the same size as a rem 870 20ga frame. eastbank.
Old April 26, 2015, 05:33 AM   #22
Virginian

If the 870 is an LW size receiver, it is. Serial number end in K or U? Of if it's brand new and starts with RS apparently.
Old May 5, 2015, 02:06 PM   #23
Wishoot

I have mad respect for anyone that can shoot an 870 well for skeet, clays or 5-stand. Not many call pull it off, but I've seen a couple.
Old May 5, 2015, 02:35 PM   #24
FITASC

Quote:
I have mad respect for anyone that can shoot an 870 well for skeet, clays or 5-stand. Not many call pull it off, but I've seen a couple.
Then you'd be amazed at some friends who shoot 5-stand and sporting clays with Win Model 42s.
Old May 5, 2015, 03:58 PM   #25
Grant D

One of the few times I have shot a perfect 25 skeet shooting, was with a 12 ga.Remington 870 Wingmaster with a modified choke.