The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old June 29, 2013, 11:00 AM   #26
Closing The Gap

My wife, my sons and myself all enjoy both IMMENSELY.
Old June 30, 2013, 09:02 PM   #27
RBid

Does anyone else enjoy collecting more than shooting?

I have evolved into a software > hardware guy. I love shooting more than I love buying new firearms.
Old July 1, 2013, 07:54 AM   #28
Skans

Quote:
You Have;
Hunters; They usually don't collect.
Shooters; They usually don't hunt.
Collectors; They usually don't hunt or shoot.
Sellers; They usually don't collect, hunt or shoot, only make a profit!!
I hunt, I shoot, and I also collect. The 25% - 35% of the guns I own and shoot, I shoot a lot. I have one rifle I use for hunting - Savage 110 30-06. I don't need nor want anything fancier than that for hunting. It gets wet, and even though I'm careful with it, it gets banged around a little.

I have about 5 range pistols: Sig X-Five, EAA Stock 10mm, Ruger Mark II, High Standard Sport King and a S&W 659.

I have one shotgun I use for Skeet and Sporting Clays.

I have a couple semi-auto rifles and one full-auto that are range toys.

Other than that, the rest of my guns are divided between "never shoot" and a few are "rarely shoot". I just don't feel compelled to shoot every gun I buy.
Old July 1, 2013, 08:37 AM   #29
22-rimfire

I enjoy collecting or accumulating some interesting firearms. I also enjoy shooting and hunting. Most of my "collector" guns never get shot. They will depart my cold dead hands in the same condition I received them in.

For me, this gun interest is a continium. At first it was all about hunting and if it wasn't for hunting, I wasn't interested in buying or owning. Then the self defense consideration entered the picture although it never really was absent, but I didn't buy guns specifically for self defense. As I mature, I tend to shoot certain guns and the rest remain essentially un-used. But the I can always grab something I haven't shot in a while and have some fun.

But yes, I enjoy just owning and it doesn't particularly bother me if I don't shoot them.
Old July 1, 2013, 12:40 PM   #30
SC4006

I'd say I'm the same way as you, I absolutely love shooting all of my guns, but I really like handling them, taking them apart, studying how they work, cleaning them, and just admiring them.

They say 5 out of 4 people are bad at math.
Old July 1, 2013, 12:55 PM   #31
chrisp51

I really enjoy shooting but collecting M1 carbines was my passion for a while. It took me almost 30 years to get one of each manufacturer. I remember how excited I was the day the last one arrived.
Old July 1, 2013, 01:28 PM   #32
I'vebeenduped

I am an involuntary collector. My weapons are collecting dust because, lately, it is so expensive to fire them.
Old July 1, 2013, 01:46 PM   #33
Clark

I have been organizing guns so the wife can sell them when I die.
Given her ancestry, she will out live my by 25 years.

This has been a big help to ME in the meantime.
I am putting tags on guns that tells ME the date of manufacture, the date I bought it, and how much I paid for it.

So in 2033 when my widow walks into a pawn shop to sell my rifles like stack of cord wood, she will not be going in blind.

It becoming the Minnie Pearl gun collection.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old July 1, 2013, 03:45 PM   #34
MattShlock

Bit by bit my involvement in the shooting sports has changed, especially with age and my knowledge and involvment in historical themes. I am definitely transitioning from shooting to collecting. I believe 90% of my most recent purchases have been custom made. And although I am not deficient in ammo by any stretch of the imagination, the drought has certainly had a chilling effect on actual shooting.

Last edited by MattShlock; July 1, 2013 at 03:51 PM.
Old July 1, 2013, 04:01 PM   #35
Pahoo

Can't take them with us !!!

Quote:
I have been organizing guns so the wife can sell them when I die.
That is a great idea and will be of great assistance. In addition to this, I'm working on data sheets for each one, listing a current value. A template, is available on the internet and I believe, there is also an example of one, in the Blue-Book. ...

I will be taking one of my old Bowies with me. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old July 3, 2013, 11:28 AM   #36
aarondhgraham

Hello Pahoo & Clark,,,

Your two posts reminded me of a T-Shirt I saw at a gun show:

Dear Lord. Please don't let my widow sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them.

Aarond:

I find I'm moving towards the Collector (amasser) side of the fence.

I own 37 handguns,,,
Of which I only shoot 7 of them regularly.

But I can't seem to stay away from Gunbroker and The Evil Pawn Shop,,,
It seems I'm always on the lookout for that next bargain 22 revolver.

I re-purpose a lot of rimfire handguns though,,,
A month ago I gave a bargain High Standard Sentinel to a friend,,,
I bought it for $110, spent a day cleaning it and making a nice range holster & belt.

I gave it away to a nice young engineering student who I've taken to the range a few times,,,
It was a win-win situation as I got some pleasure from buying the gun,,,
Then I got some pleasure making a nice range rig for it,,,
Then I got to see a grateful kid use his new gun.

My shooting has slowed down due to the unavailability of ammo,,,
But my searching and buying of used handguns has barely slowed at all.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old July 4, 2013, 08:56 AM   #37
LockedBreech

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarondhgraham View Post
Your two posts reminded me of a T-Shirt I saw at a gun show:

Dear Lord. Please don't let my widow sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them.

Aarond:

I find I'm moving towards the Collector (amasser) side of the fence.

I own 37 handguns,,,

But I can't seem to stay away from Gunbroker and The Evil Pawn Shop,,,
It seems I'm always on the lookout for that next bargain 22 revolver.

I re-purpose a lot of rimfire handguns though,,,
A month ago I gave a bargain High Standard Sentinel to a friend,,,
I bought it for $110, spent a day cleaning it and making a nice range holster & belt.

I gave it away to a nice young engineering student who I've taken to the range a few times,,,
It was a win-win situation as I got some pleasure from buying the gun,,,
Then I got some pleasure making a nice range rig for it,,,
Then I got to see a grateful kid use his new gun.

My shooting has slowed down due to the unavailability of ammo,,,
But my searching and buying of used handguns has barely slowed at all.

Aarond

You're a good egg Aarond
Old July 4, 2013, 09:09 AM   #38
Glenn E. Meyer

I collect other things. Almost all my guns are shooters. The one exception is a snubby Colt Cobra. I got it at a good price and its value seems to have doubled. Thus, I let it rest.
Old July 5, 2013, 12:07 AM   #39
JimmyR

All of my guns get shot, some more than others:

The 12 ga that I inherited from my grandfather (cheating *jerk* that he was) gets shot very seldom, but stays ready for HD use.

The pistols I inherited from my dad were my first, and were my first carry pistols (Beretta 950B Minx and S&W Regulation Police). They don't get much action, and neither do their long nosed younger brothers (Beretta 950BS 4" and S&W Model 31 4"). They do get shot every few months...

My bread and butter guns are my multiple carry/nightstand guns, and they get plenty of time at the range, when I have time to go.

I also have 2 .22 LR rifles, one fairly new, one about a year old, and they go with me periodically just to get a little exercise.

I love buying, selling, and trading guns, and have a few that I will never get rid of; that said, every gun I own has been used, some very well used, and will never be a "safe queen."

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; July 14, 2013 at 01:09 PM.
Old July 6, 2013, 08:58 PM   #40
Aaron1100us

Re: Does anyone else enjoy collecting more than shooting?

I just love all aspects of shooting sports. Shooting, collecting and the history of each gun. I also love the mechanics of guns and how they vary. I love all guns, cheap, expensive, rare, common. I also love cleaning them and understanding how they work. So I guess I enjoy everything about it.
Old July 9, 2013, 12:18 AM   #41
Clark

A guy who goes to a gun show with $2k in his pocket, has standard so low he will bring home a $20 single barrel shotgun, and then sees thousands of guns for sale.... he is in a target rich environment.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old July 9, 2013, 07:03 AM   #42
gaseousclay

i'm a collector, but not by choice. ya know, cuz there's no ammo
Old July 9, 2013, 09:01 PM   #43
lefteye

I'm a hunter by nature;
a shooter by instinct;
a collector by accident (sort of);
and a seller by necessity (more or less).
Old July 13, 2013, 02:48 AM   #44
Ignition Override

It's very difficult to clearly answer the question. Even though I have six Enfields (#4s/#5s), two or three of them get used.

The Garand is not used that often, and mostly because hitting paper targets is not very rewarding, but taking them to the river means blasting random objects with the .50 cent (CMP) ammo.

The rifles used most often are the M-69 (.22) Trainers, and the SKS. The Spanish FR8s were bought for the milsurp features, and in order to have something reliable in .308 (long-term "just in case" ), and as handy as an Enfield "Jungle".

Last edited by Ignition Override; July 16, 2013 at 01:29 AM.
Old July 13, 2013, 09:01 AM   #45
Herr Walther

I enjoy both. I collect Walther handguns all the way back to the Model series in the first part of the last century.

Most get fired, all have been fired for proofing, but some of the NIB models will remain that way because of their value.
"...a historian asked what had happened to the German people for them to accept a criminal government. Unfortunately, nothing needed to happen. In nations across the world people accept government crime."
-------------------------------------
"In democracies as well as dictatorships, subordinates illegally obey their rulers. Subordinates who remain true to their oaths of office by opposing their rulers are rare."
Old July 13, 2013, 10:22 AM   #46
MattShlock

"...worse than California"? New York? D.C.!?
Old July 13, 2013, 12:23 PM   #47
22-rimfire

Quote:
Arronhgrahm said... I find I'm moving towards the Collector (amasser) side of the fence.

I own 37 handguns,,,
Quote:
Lefteye said...I'm a hunter by nature;
a shooter by instinct;
a collector by accident (sort of);
and a seller by necessity (more or less).
Tis about the way things are for me. The collecting aspect is something that I just sort of fell into when Colt went bankrupt in 1991. All of a sudden, I felt a push to get guns that I didn't own then and after you get them, there was a natural hesitation to shoot them much or any. I was a bit naive in the sense that I didn't understand the remarkable buying and selling that goes on in the used/collector gun business. I was worried about my favorites becoming un-available. I viewed guns like tiolet paper ("black hole"), if it is not going to be available, you better buy then now. True to a point. I discovered it is mostly a matter of money and being willing or able to buy something that you want when it comes available for sale. However prior to the gun forums and common man internet availability, finding specific guns was a bit of a challenge at times. Hence, the fun of the chase or hunt comment that is frequently stated about collecting. Everything changed in the 1990's and most gun forums began popping up around 2000.
Old July 13, 2013, 07:24 PM   #48
Jeremiah/Az

I shoot a lot & do not consider myself to be a collector, but I do have several guns that I bought new & have never shot them. I just like some guns & buy them.
Old July 13, 2013, 08:41 PM   #49
kutz

David 13 is correct. My wife thinks I'm a collector, but with only 30 hand guns, I tell her I'm just an accumulator, cause I've seen some of you guys collections.
Old July 13, 2013, 08:52 PM   #50
Garycw

I really enjoy shooting, but I have quite a few handguns and rifles I haven't had time to shoot YET! I rarely sell or trade guns , but I have a few that I did that were never shot. I seemed to have more time before I retired.. Go figure. I do enjoy collecting, taking them apart and modifying. I've been shooting since I was 7yrs old. Wished I had a nickel for every round I've fired. I'd be rich.

Last edited by Garycw; July 14, 2013 at 06:38 PM.