The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 20, 2013, 02:24 PM   #1
haliwa04

Which .45acp Xdm or Glock or??????

Hello all, i'm currently cc an XD9 Subcompact, which is awesome, i feel comfortable enough with the platform that i'm having a hard time looking at anything else. Except, I long for .45acp. I have a 1911 in .45acp, but it doesn't get carried. I have held several Glock 30/36's trying to get a feel for the grip, but it just feels too wide for cc work. The xdm 3.8 looks mean as can be, but is rather hard to come by around my parts. I've also been playing with the idea of the XD45 compact, but cant find one anywhere to hold and fondle.

--Anyone have experience(by experience i mean at least 2-300 rounds fired from each) with both guns?
--Pros/Cons of each?
--Good price point for both used and new around the NC area?
--Any other guns in that price range -/+ a few dollars(I would never spend more than $700 on a polymer gun, that's 1911 range)?
The gun will be a concealed carry piece, as well as for plinking(what good is a gun you never shoot?), and i may use it in competition(probably as a backup to the 1911 i'm working on). I more than likely will use it for HD as well, when the 12 gauge is more than I need.
Old June 20, 2013, 02:28 PM   #2
Tactical Jackalope

I'd definitely go with the Glock 30sf, 30s, or 36. In that order.

Parts are always available and with a gun for CCW that you should be training extensively with, you're going to need part eventually. Glock's are the easiest parts to come across. Both factory and aftermarket. (I recommend factory)

1911's have nothing "drop-in" and I think they're amazing range guns in this modern time. Those to carry them, are probably great tinkerers or have no problems with them being high maintenance.

XD's? I do not like for the life of me. PM for more details if you'd like.
Old June 20, 2013, 02:52 PM   #3
haliwa04

I've owned two XD9sc's now, the first, i stippled the grip to my comfort, replaced all of the pins(striker retainer pin was upgraded to a rolled pin) with stainless, polished the internals myself, updgraded the striker, and the corresponding springs, polished the barrel and controls(slide stop/release, takedown lever, mag release button). Most of the work was cosmetic for my own pleasure and to show off my handywork. The parts were easy to find, and for the most part inexpensive. The only reason i got rid of it was to try out another gun, a pt92, which i promptly traded for a Norinco 1911. The one i have currently is bone stock, only because my girlfriend forbids me from suping it up.

Last edited by haliwa04; June 20, 2013 at 03:07 PM.
Old June 20, 2013, 03:16 PM   #4
wnycollector

OP, check out the Kahr CW45. I have put 500 virtually trouble free rounds through my CW45 thus far. The gun is accurate, lightweight and very easy to carry.
Old June 20, 2013, 03:25 PM   #5
haliwa04

<quote>OP, check out the Kahr CW45. I have put 500 virtually trouble free rounds through my CW45 thus far. The gun is accurate, lightweight and very easy to carry.</quote>

What's the trigger like? I know the cw40 i played with had a very long reset, which i could deal with after a lot of retraining.
Old June 20, 2013, 08:58 PM   #6
Sure shot wv

From the xd/ glock standpoint I'm very pro springfield. I love both the xd and xdm line. As far as glocks go I've only had one make it through one of my classes without issues. Usually there nothing serious but it's always something! I don't trust them especially the 45 acp ones. I like the way they look, I like the way the shoot, I like the way they feel. But at the same time I hate them. Springfields aren't perfect either but for me there 100 times better than glock.

On another note since your gonna cc this. Have you looked into the xds? I haven't handled one yet but it is on the top of my list. That gives you the 45acp, great size to cc, and the quality of Springfield.
Old June 20, 2013, 09:35 PM   #7

I have experience with both pistols and would definitely recommend the XDm 3.8 C over the G30 any day of the week. They're built stronger and the thickness of the slide rails raises the bore-axis slightly but I could never tell it shooting my XDm 4.5 in .45 ACP, including a healthy number of 185 gr. Golden Saber handloads equivalent to the Rem. 185 gr. Golden Saber +P factory load and the 230 gr. GS loaded above 900 FPS. The XDm has a match grade barrel with conventional rifling so there are no issues in shooting cast lead bullets. My particular favorite is the 200 gr. SWC and the XDm was modified specifically for them. There are a very good number of parts available for customizing and I installed a PRP trigger kit in mine that gave me a fantastic trigger. The 4" Service Compact is also a great option but they are not modified for shooting LSWCs like the XDm is. Check out www.xdtalk.com

Then there's this option. I sold my XDm to my shooting partner after I bought a Ruger SR9 that is simply amazing so I knew I'd have to have the SR45 and it's getting to a break-in point where it shows equal promise to the SR9. After 300 rounds fired through either pistol you'll get a better trigger than any other polymer framed striker fired pistol. The SR45 is also the narrowest of the bunch. There are enough people clamoring for the SR45c that it shouldn't be far away now. My shooting partner has an SR9c that is his carry pistol that he feels is the very best he's used yet including the G19, G26, S/S P-239 and the S&W Shield which he's fixin to sell, BTW. My SR45 is exceptionally accurate. It shares features of the XDm as far as strength, has a stainless barrel and I bought for $440.
Old June 20, 2013, 09:57 PM   #8
Kevin_d77

SR45 is $409 shipped right now as we speak.
Old June 20, 2013, 10:01 PM   #9

That's an outstanding price. I thought I did very well at $440.
Old June 20, 2013, 10:44 PM   #10
therifleman556

I have an XD45 compact. I originally wanted, and had ordered, a G19 for CC. The wait time was long and I eventually (almost) decided on a G30. Later that week I handled the XD and couldn't believe the difference. The G30 felt almost like gripping a Pringles can, whereas the XD felt only marginaly wider than a 1911 (which I had carried previously in Govt model form). I have so far run mine through about 600 rounds and haven't had any failures other than two FTF, both of those were with my light loads using cast bullets. Now looking back I would take the XD twice before I took that Block30 once...
Old June 21, 2013, 03:00 PM   #11
haliwa04

Quote:
On another note since your gonna cc this. Have you looked into the xds? I haven't handled one yet but it is on the top of my list. That gives you the 45acp, great size to cc, and the quality of Springfield.
Yes, I thought about it, until i shot my friends, with the magazine extension, it was still awful to shoot for me. I have huge hands, and I just couldn't get a grip on the thing, much less a good shooting grip. I like my guns like i like my women: I don't mind a little extra meat on it, all the more for me to hold on to. lol.

And the SR45 felt like awesomeness in my hand, but I might as well carry my 1911. I'd still like to have one for a nightstand bad guy disappearance wand.

What would be a reasonable price for a used Xdm, i see the prices from $550 to astronomical $700 levels. Buds has them for around $684, and i've considered layaway at a LGS
Old June 21, 2013, 03:17 PM   #12
Kevin_d77

3.8 XDm is $569 right now online. Add $20-$25 for a transfer fee and you're right around $600
Old June 21, 2013, 04:02 PM   #13
Eight_is_enough

For CC I don't see how you can beat a nice, flat compact single-stack .45. Used ones can be had in the $400 range, or less.
Old June 21, 2013, 04:29 PM   #14
haliwa04

Quote:
For CC I don't see how you can beat a nice, flat compact single-stack .45. Used ones can be had in the $400 range, or less.
Used what? If you can point me toward a used xd anything in .45 around $400, i would gladly appreciate it. I'm kind of considering a commander sized 1911 with a lightweight frame. Anyone have good/bad experiences with the lower priced makers(RIA, Citadel, ATI, etc)?
Old June 21, 2013, 04:31 PM   #15
thedudeabides

I like my G30. I prefer my 1991 SS Commander, tho.
Old June 21, 2013, 04:36 PM   #16
Kevin_d77

You can get a brand new XD45 for 450 with the kit (holster, mags, loader) or a Ruger SR45 for $409
Old June 21, 2013, 04:55 PM   #17
haliwa04

Quote:
You can get a brand new XD45 for 450 with the kit (holster, mags, loader)
Where at?
Old June 21, 2013, 05:11 PM   #18
wnycollector

Quote:
What's the trigger like? I know the cw40 i played with had a very long reset, which i could deal with after a lot of retraining.
It's long but very smooth. I'm a revolver guy so the CW45 feels natural to me.
Old June 21, 2013, 06:06 PM   #19
Kevin_d77

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/31144
Old June 21, 2013, 07:10 PM   #20
smokiniron

Springfield XDs

OP... I have a Springer tactical with 5" bbl and short and extended mags. Great gun, more accurate than Glock (according to those who test and shoot both). Last year, I got the XDs in .45 ACP. It's my carry gun for 'the Theater' or other venues where the bigger Springer pokes me too much.
Never a failure to feed, go into battery, no stovepipes, easy to work on, and custom parts are available, though seems less than Glock.

One vote for Springfield!
and a few defensive firearms, too!
Old June 21, 2013, 09:15 PM   #21

Quote:
And the SR45 felt like awesomeness in my hand, but I might as well carry my 1911. I'd still like to have one for a nightstand bad guy disappearance wand.
haliwa04, I also have large hands, the SR45 does have an excellent feel to it. You will never regret buying an SR45. I bought mine based on an SR9 I bought about a month earlier and sold a very excellent XDm 4.5 in .45 ACP to do it. I loved that XDm, but I have NO regrets. The SR45 is everything I thought it would be and I was just seeing too many people raving about their accuracy which I can attest to with my handloads. The only factory loads I've put through it were for chronographing purposes. If you're not in a great hurry, the SR45 Compact should be available soon. I haven't heard anything about size specs or anything but I'm betting the barrel length will be longer than the SR9/40s. About 3.8" like the XDmc is what I'm expecting and it's still the narrowest striker-fired polymer framed pistol based on a double-stack original version as is the case with the XDmc or the G30.
Old June 22, 2013, 04:39 PM   #22
peacefulgary

I like Glocks and have owned quite a few of them, but I'm a XD guy these days.

I like the grip angle and the trigger better than on the Glock.
I also have become fond of the grip safety.

Last edited by peacefulgary; June 22, 2013 at 04:48 PM.
Old June 22, 2013, 06:02 PM   #23
smokiniron

Check the fit and feel....

OP... When I was making my decision on polymer guns, I handled many, including the Glocks and Springers. I had no preconceptions, except that the Springer passed the Glock torture test with flying colors and was reportedly more accurate the the Glock past 25 yds or so.

Anyway, the LGS salesman suggested I shut my eyes and bring the guns up to firing position. The Glocks, because of the grip angle, consistently were pointed high. The Springfield came up close to 'on target' i read that they more closely match John Brownings original grip angle. Haven't checked to be honest. Don't care either, because the gun just 'fit' better in my ham-hands.

I shoot left. I liked the grip and trigger safeties. The slide release for right-handers is a non-issue as I rack the slide with a new, full magazine anyway.

My $0.02

-Smokiniron
Old June 22, 2013, 06:16 PM   #24

smokiniron, you're correct. The XD/XDm use John Browning's grip angle that he researched more than some may realize. Most combat pistols use the same angle which Ruger has always done. The Mark I, II, III .22 LR pistols use the Luger angle as Glock does. Raising a pistol overhead in the dark or with your eyes closed and bringing it to bare, then opening your eyes: the Browning grip angle is much more likely to be concluded by the alignment of the sights compared to the Luger angle by most shooters.

My Ruger recommendation withstanding, I'll state that the XD Service Compact with a 4" barrel and shortened grip would be an excellent choice and since the introduction of the XDm and later the XDs, XD prices have continued a trend of getting lower in price. But one must realize that XD .45 ACPs will not reliably function with LSWC bullets and that may or may not be a concern for someone looking for an excellent carry pistol.

Last edited by 57K; June 22, 2013 at 06:21 PM.
Old June 23, 2013, 04:29 PM   #25
smokiniron

57K... agreed

Thanks for your comments on Browning's design. I live in Utah and have seen his father's shop in Illinois several times. The man was pure genius...

Quote:
But one must realize that XD .45 ACPs will not reliably function with LSWC bullets and that may or may not be a concern for someone looking for an excellent carry pistol.
Do the wadcutters offer any advantage over a hollowpoint? And in states where HPs may be a legal problem, would Federals Guard Dog 'shrouded' HPs be, in your opinion, a satisfactory defensive round? I have no preconceptions, as I've never shot lead from my guns, nor have I had a chance to shoot Federals product.

Tags
.45acp , concealed , glock , springfield