The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old October 15, 2012, 09:09 PM   #1
Pointshoot

'Multiple' Gun Purchases ?

Please pardon me guys if this question has been answered in the past. I've just spent about 40 minutes trying to find the information I'm looking for - but the posts were either old or not relevant.

Recently, when in a gun shop, one of the employees said that "if someone bought more than one gun over a period of less than a week, that could send up a 'red flag' " We were discussing the NICS instant background check, so I assumed that he was saying someone doing this could have the approval delayed or denied. (I've never had any delays and have been buying firearms for decades.)
I've heard that some people space out their purchases over time for this reason. I also read that this only refers to handguns.
I recently bought a CZ .22 LR rifle and will have another rimfire rifle that I ordered arriving about 6 days later (but to a different gun shop).
I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could please clear this up for me. What defines 'multiple' purchases (and over what time frame) and does it have any impact on the instant check ? Thank you - - -
Old October 15, 2012, 09:19 PM   #2
Tom Servo
Staff

Dealers are required to file a report (Form 3310.4) if a buyer purchases two or more handguns in a five-day period.

The report applies only to handguns, not rifles or shotguns. It has nothing to do with NICS check data, which is purged after 24 hours of resolution.
Old October 15, 2012, 09:34 PM   #3
Pointshoot

Thank you Tom.

You stated in a few clear, short sentences what others that I read left confusing over many paragraphs.

I appreciate your helpful reply. Best regards, - - Rob
Old October 15, 2012, 09:44 PM   #4
wayneinFL

FWIW, I've bought multiple handguns many times, the 3310.4 form was submitted, and I have never heard squat from the ATF about it. If you buy a dozen Jennings every week it would probably get attention, but your average guy picking up a few handguns at his local shop will likely never hear anything about it.
Old October 15, 2012, 09:50 PM   #5
dogtown tom

Quote:
Tom Servo Dealers are required to file a report (Form 3310.4) if a buyer purchases two or more handguns in a five-day period.

The report applies only to handguns, not rifles or shotguns.
Dealers in Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and California are required by ATF to report the sale "at one time or during five consecutive business days, two or more semi-automatic rifles larger than .22 caliber (including .223/5.56 caliber) with the ability to accept a detachable magazine."
We use a Form 3310.12 http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-3310-12.pdf

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old October 15, 2012, 10:03 PM   #6
ripnbst

So that explicitly says rifles but says nothing about handguns.
Old October 15, 2012, 11:05 PM   #7
dogtown tom

Quote:
ripnbst So that explicitly says rifles but says nothing about handguns.
Tom Servo references the Multiple Sale of Handgun form in post #2

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old October 16, 2012, 04:32 AM   #8
bitttorrrent

Yes my transfer gun dealer told me the same when i ordered two handguns. Had to wait and come back so as not to file that form.

Being in Chicago, I thought it best to not push the line. Probably would not matter, but the lgs did not want to file it, I could tell.
Old October 16, 2012, 05:31 AM   #9
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpnbst
So that explicitly says rifles but says nothing about handguns.
Read posts 2 and 5 together. The report for purchases of two or more handguns within five business days applies to all FFLs in all states. The report for purchases of two or more rifles within five business days applies only to FFLs in the four states listed. It's part of the fallout of Operation Fast & Furious. The administration and the BATFE are (or were, but probably still are) trying to claim that those four states are arming the Mexican drug cartels through straw buys in those four border states.
Old October 16, 2012, 11:30 AM   #10
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Dealers in Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and California are required by ATF to report the sale "at one time or during five consecutive business days, two or more semi-automatic rifles larger than .22 caliber (including .223/5.56 caliber) with the ability to accept a detachable magazine."
I forgot about that nonsense. There's legal action in the works to put the kabosh on it, but for now, the border states are stuck with it.
Old October 16, 2012, 01:04 PM   #11
Dead

If you think the above is "bad", in NJ one is limited to one handgun every 30 days.. Well unless you get a multiple "pick up" form approved by the state police. This is of course in addition to a separate permit to purchase each and every handgun each of which is only good for 90 days themselves.

So buying multiple hand guns and the paperwork is a nightmare...

If anyone that is interested in seeing the forms required to be approved prior to buying >=2 handguns in <30days see the below

Multiple purchase waiver: http://www.njsp.org/info/pdf/firearms/sp-015.pdf

Handgun purchase permit: http://www.njsp.org/info/pdf/firearms/sts-033.pdf

Mental Health Check: http://www.njsp.org/info/pdf/firearms/sp-066.pdf

In addition many towns have their own requirements in addition to the above ranging from "not so bad", to "impossible".