The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Closed Thread

Old October 25, 2012, 03:05 PM   #1
TheBear

RCBS, you`ve got to be kidding me!

I use an rcbs funnel marked 22-50cal for reloading, till now i had no issues with it reloading .44, 10mm, .308.... today tough, i did some reloading for a .223rem, for the first time, and guess what, that funnel doesnt really fit for .22 cal! The hole is just to big, much of the powder isnt going into the shell but on your hands, on the table, etc.
My neighbor told me he had exactly the same problem...
Ok, i know this isnt a huge issue, i just need to get another funnel from lyman or redding and they arent expensive. Maybe im over reacting but this really makes me angry, i mean cmon rcbs how difficult can it be to make a funnel that REALLY fits for .22? And if you sell the funnel and say it fits for .22cal, it might be a good idea to check if it really does! Thats another 5 bucks i have to spend because of a crappy product.
Dont buy the rcbs 22-50 powder funnel if youre planing on reloading .22cal.
Old October 25, 2012, 04:04 PM   #2
buck460XVR

Did you contact RCBS? The way they stand behind their products, odds are they'll send you a free funnel if yours in fact is defective.
Old October 25, 2012, 04:20 PM   #3
4runnerman

I have one to and it is no good for 22 cal. I just got another one and let it go.
Old October 25, 2012, 04:26 PM   #4
moxie

I've got an old one marked .22-45 and it's fine with .22.

Call RCBS. They will help you.

USAF Munitions 1969-1992
RVN 1972-1973
Old October 25, 2012, 07:30 PM   #5
serf 'rett

Call RCBS and let us know the results. A simple phone call may have solved your problem in less time than it took to type the opening post.
Old October 25, 2012, 07:33 PM   #6
jmortimer

Would not surprise me if it was another, of the many, Made in China products they are selling.
Old October 25, 2012, 09:44 PM   #7
lee n. field

Quote:
i had no issues with it reloading .44, 10mm, .308
All fairly wide case mouths.

A couple possibilities:

Satern Powder Funnel 22 Caliber Aluminum and Brass

Quote:
Product Information
Shop more Satern products Satern Powder Funnels are great funnels for a reloader looking for a funnel in a particular caliber. They are made from static free aluminum and brass making them suitable for use with smokeless or black powder. blah blah blah.
MTM Universal Powder Funnel Set 17 to 45 Caliber

Quote:
Material: Plastic
Drop Tube Length:4" fits 22 to 45 caliber
Features: Storage Case
Color: Red funnels, clear case Kit Includes:
Adapter 1, .17 to .22
Adapter 2, .22 to .29
Adapter 3, .30 to .45
Adapter 4, .22 to .50 designed for WSM, WSSM and Rem Ultra Mags
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old October 26, 2012, 05:18 AM   #8
warningshot

My, (purchased new), 1978 funnel works on .300 Winchester Magnum. .303 Brit. 30-06, .308, .223, all the 45s & 44s & 38s, even .25 acp. I gladly shop the gun shows for used RCBS tools. I must have three or four I bought for a buck each. Lee funnels work great as well and they sell even for less new or used.

But I tell you what, if I see a a RCBS product with, 'Made In Chi-Naw', slogan on it, I'll be the first to organize one of those late night 1800s Go-To-The-Frankenstein-Castle with a pitchfork door knocker.
Old October 26, 2012, 08:24 AM   #9
jmortimer

^ Better start rounding-up your pitchfork as RCBS has been selling Made in China products for a few years. It appears the quality is decent like the 1500 Chargemaster but it does hurt to see such "progress."
Old October 26, 2012, 11:58 AM   #10
mikld

I understand if someone is gonna make something and say it work for all calibers, it should work for all calibers! But a funnel is such a simple tool there's not any need to get upset, IMO. I can take a piece of paper, roll it into a cone, slide it into the funnel and snip off the point at 20 caliber...
Old October 26, 2012, 12:38 PM   #11
Sevens

I agree that RCBS will probably do something to address your problem if you were to call them. Even so -- that's no reason not to complain on a discussion forum. This is a legitimate beef and we discuss this sort of thing here, so I see no issue with your being annoyed and sharing that in a thread.

I have a Lee Funnel. Well, actually, they are SO low in cost that I have 3 of them, but I haven't found a reason to even open the package on the other two. Hell, I think I gave one of them away. Anyhow, if you snag a Lee funnel, it'll work fine for .223 Rem.

Now, you folks with the pitchforks -- RCBS may be on your hit list, but Smart Reloader is where the money is. Those SOBs should be burned downed to the ground and their ashes stomped on.
Old October 26, 2012, 07:06 PM   #12
LOLBELL

I too have that same funnel. It says .22 - .50 cal. It should say .24 - .50 cal. It's not a defective China made funnel, RCBS would never sell anything made in China. In Chinese .22 actually means .24, we all just need to learn to read Chinese.
Old October 26, 2012, 09:54 PM   #13
warningshot

Now I know

why RCBS is often times back-ordered. I think RCBS owes someone an explanation. I won't be buying anything new RCBS until then.
Old October 27, 2012, 12:49 PM   #14
hooligan1

Get A Life

Heck if thats all your complaining about ( RCBS always backordering stuff) go back to sleep. YOU (warningshot) owe us an explanation! Why should any of us listen to your feelings when obviuosly your in a SMALL minority,(you and the OP) you're the only TWO people in the entire world that have any problems with RCBS......... sorry for your experience.

Having said that I have a chipped Uniflow lid, I bet if I called RCBS monday, by the end of the week I would have a new one "NO CHARGE". Heck I call that Customer Service Second to None.... just my buckfitty!
Old October 27, 2012, 01:36 PM   #15
jaguarxk120

And if made in China bothers you so much, why not start taking out whats made in China in your house!!!!

Start with the TV, sound system, dvd player, silver/flat ware.

The local TV station did that the a local family, took out ALL the imported goods, not from China but EVERY thing imported including cars!!

I think you should stop complaining about what one company does and look at your buying habits. Don't forget they are making the goods and we buy them.
Old October 27, 2012, 01:53 PM   #16
jmortimer

"I think you should stop complaining about what one company does and look at your buying habits."
I do closely look at every purchase and consider the ramifications. It is a fact, not a complaint. If possible, I buy from USA companies who put "Made in USA" on their products. To the maximum extent possible, I will pick the USA company "Made In The USA" - RCBS does not fall into that category, but most of the reloading companies do, and that is where I will spend my $$$. You RCBS fan-boys are hypersensitive. Facts can hurt, but why all the hate?
Old October 27, 2012, 02:27 PM   #17
buck460XVR

Quote:
You RCBS fan-boys are hypersensitive. Facts can hurt, but why all the hate?
Seems to me Mort, that the hate goes both ways.

Altho I too try to buy American made products, many of those are made in America with parts made overseas. Guess that's what folks mean when they say we live in a Global economy. Many of those politicians folks are pushing on us to preserve our gun rights are the same ones that made outsourcing to foreign countries so attractive to large corporations. So what's right and what's wrong? One needs to determine that for themselves. I, myself wouldn't lose any sleep or create a gun forum rant over a $5 plastic funnel and I would give the manufacturer a chance to make it right, even if it is just an apology. Others are free to do differently.
Old October 27, 2012, 02:34 PM   #18
roashooter

Im with Moxie.....my funnel.....works fine with 223.....but it is 30 some odd years old.....something change in the meantime?
Old October 27, 2012, 02:39 PM   #19
jmortimer

I did not think the O/P was out of line, nor the other poster, so I'm confused by the "Get a Life" comment. I will continue to carefully consider each purchase I make and since there are so many Made in USA only options for reloading, I'll go in that direction. I see no hate except from the RCBS clan.
P.S. - if you check around, you will see that others have the same .22 caliber problem with current production .22 to .45 RCBS funnel.

Last edited by jmortimer; October 27, 2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old October 27, 2012, 08:34 PM   #20
4runnerman

OHHHH Nooo first Glock Fan Boys and now RCBS Fan Boys. I have a RCBS Parten Press and thats it. I did buy the RCBS Funnel but do not use it any more. I got the Other brand now with the pan and funnel built into one.
I do not like RCBS Dies at all. But that press is awsome. I think for a piece of plastic we are talking about no one brand is better than the other.
RCBS is just a long standing Company that sells a good product and backs it up with one of the best warrentys in the business.
Old October 27, 2012, 10:56 PM   #21
bigwrench

me to.

I have one of those funnels and it did not work for .22 either. I had to modify it and make it work. I find products that do not work as advertised to be very annoying, regardless of price.
Old October 27, 2012, 11:46 PM   #22
medalguy

Ummm.....I have an RCBS funnel and it works fine with .223 for me. Just have to keep it pushed down on the case neck and keep it straight, powder goes where it should.
Old October 28, 2012, 08:06 AM   #23
BPowderkeg

concerning powder funnels that do not fit a .22 case, i had one of these, what i done was wrap several rubber bands tightly around the restricted area and hold it in boiling water for a minute or two, it shrunk enough to make a good fit, i can not measure it, but i would say it is about .210".
Old October 28, 2012, 11:22 AM   #24
UtopiaTexasG19

Trying to not buy Chinese made products is almost impossible as they can funnel a product through any second country willing to import/export as the middle man and no one knows the difference. Remember years back when the US government placed a ban on buying wheat from Russia as political punishment? Russia just sent hundreds of tons of wheat to Brazil where it was repackaged and then sold to the United States. Another example happened after WWII when sentiment against Japan was so high. One of the largest manufacturing cities in Japan changed it's name to "Usa" and all the machinery and products from that city were marked "Made in USA".
Old October 28, 2012, 12:29 PM   #25
Greg Mercurio

There's enough ignorance in the world, don't bring more here. This is a QA/QC problem and RCBS needs to be made aware of it. All injection molds wear. Operators occasionally change settings on the presses, sometimes speed things up to make more per day. Stuff happens. Don't blast a country that is replacing US industry because the people we put in office put in place regulations that make US manufacturing prohibitively expensive, or the cost of labor through the roof.

Without doubt, RCBS will make good on a replacement. It would be stupid to do otherwise.
Closed Thread